*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Guys,

I've got a really sore lower back from hitting roundabout my limit on squats (125kg+ for 3x5)... so I'm not doing squats for a while. A PT at the gym looked at my posture and from the curvature in my lower back advised that it appears I have very tight quads + hamstrings and suggested several stretches I do, and even look into getting a sports massage to loosen up my muscles.

Do any of you other guys (icecold?) echo this advice? (stretching sounds obvious).

Another thing, how strong are peoples' hamstrings? I tried doing glute ham raises on the lat pulldown bar and my hamstring strength is virtually non existant - after about the 15 degree point from perpendicular I can no longer support my bodyweight on the descent - whereas I've seen other people on youtube hapilly do the full range of movement using their hammies. Not only that but doing a standing hamstring raise on the leg extension machine I could only manage ~15kg.

I assume there is something very seriously wrong there if my hamstrings are so weak compared to my fairly strong squat? :o

Caporegime
Do you do any exercises for your hams? Each week I mean

Don;t bother with a sports massage unless you have spare money, just get a ball and or foam roller and go at it yourself really. If you can post a video of your squat form we could help more mind :)

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
The only time my lower back gets hit on squats is when my hips are really tight and in order to get depth I butt wink which causes my lower back to get hit.

Associate
I tried that mobilitywod thing you posted icecold and strained my abs I think. I tried it after a roast dinner and a few beers, obviously a bad move in hindsight.

I am on my 3x5 two week part now.

Upper body today was:
Flat bench press - 125kg
weighted chins - BW+15kg (bit too easy I think, will try 25kg next time)
DB shoulder press with no back rest - started with 30kg, but had to drop to 27.5kg
DB fly - 20kg
DB side raises - 17.5kg
I would have normally done another back exercise, but I was out of time.

Generally feeling really good with this routine. I'm starting on weights that are perhaps a little light and just building up slowly with strict form. I have probably spent far too long lifting stuff that is close to my max and not cycling through different rep and set ranges.

Just need to sort my diet out now. Keep having too much of a blow out at the weekends. Feeling a fat 94.5kg today :/

Associate
You tried it already I think. Lol I wasn't assigned it.

Just that jump from knees into squat position. Harder than it looks! Or maybe I'm just a bloater.

Soldato
Man of Honour
I'm fairly happy with my progress. Did a 80KG bench solo yesterday, fairly easily. Managed 110 four days or so ago, but had a spotter so was willing to take a risk :p

Only issue though - my favorite jeans no longer fit :(
I don't understand this, how are you benching such that having a spotter makes you 30kg stronger/more confident? This suggests you either need to 1) man up, 2) tighten up your form, or 3) stop giving your spotter a bad work out on your sets ;)
Guys,

I've got a really sore lower back from hitting roundabout my limit on squats (125kg+ for 3x5)... so I'm not doing squats for a while. A PT at the gym looked at my posture and from the curvature in my lower back advised that it appears I have very tight quads + hamstrings and suggested several stretches I do, and even look into getting a sports massage to loosen up my muscles.

Do any of you other guys (icecold?) echo this advice? (stretching sounds obvious).

Another thing, how strong are peoples' hamstrings? I tried doing glute ham raises on the lat pulldown bar and my hamstring strength is virtually non existant - after about the 15 degree point from perpendicular I can no longer support my bodyweight on the descent - whereas I've seen other people on youtube hapilly do the full range of movement using their hammies. Not only that but doing a standing hamstring raise on the leg extension machine I could only manage ~15kg.

I assume there is something very seriously wrong there if my hamstrings are so weak compared to my fairly strong squat? :o
PT sounds about right. You probably have anterior pelvic tilt with some lordosis. This means your hamstrings are constantly being pulled tight, so there isn't any slack to give when you try squatting and you end up extending in your lower back to release some posterior chain tension.

All the stretches you need are detailed in the mobility thread, there is a post specifically for squatting. You need to focus primarily on what the PT said, hams and quads, but also anterior hip.

A sports massage is a great idea too. I will always advise doing as much soft tissue work on yourself as possible (it's free!), but it's more effective to get someone with experience to pull you apart.

I tried that mobilitywod thing you posted icecold and strained my abs I think. I tried it after a roast dinner and a few beers, obviously a bad move in hindsight.

I am on my 3x5 two week part now.

Upper body today was:
Flat bench press - 125kg
weighted chins - BW+15kg (bit too easy I think, will try 25kg next time)
DB shoulder press with no back rest - started with 30kg, but had to drop to 27.5kg
DB fly - 20kg
DB side raises - 17.5kg
I would have normally done another back exercise, but I was out of time.

Generally feeling really good with this routine. I'm starting on weights that are perhaps a little light and just building up slowly with strict form. I have probably spent far too long lifting stuff that is close to my max and not cycling through different rep and set ranges.

Just need to sort my diet out now. Keep having too much of a blow out at the weekends. Feeling a fat 94.5kg today :/
:o sorry! I should have said it was a little tricky. Perhaps tells you that you need more core training though ;)

Strong lifting btw!

Man of Honour
Soldato
I'm going to give this a read later :)

On my initial skim it looks really good.

Achievement Unlocked: Post mobility/biomechanical information icecold doesn't already suggest :D.

55544302_awesome_reaction_gif.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom