*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking of taking a month off...

I have been hard training non stop for year with the regular week off holidays etc, happy with gains, but now have a few painful niggles etc, and have just got to the point where im missing certain lifts to avoid aggravating, its a horrible way to train, and mentally hard to motivate other parts.

Would taking a month off ( keeping the diet half decent) really do much, apart from losing some immediate strength!?

What injury do you have?

Went I the unit with my boy today, had to get out of the house.

He did:
Overhead plate pressing, Overhead medleys, tyre flips, barrel rolls. Good session :)

I did:
Axle press from rack (couldn't be assed cleaning today)
Mixture of strict and push press
40xlots
60xlots
80x10
90x5
90x5
100x5
105x3
115xf
105x3
100x3
100x3
80x10
80x9

Circus DB strict press
33kg 10xleft / 10xright
Same again.

Shoulders feel nicely worked now :)

What injury do you have?

Two things, one seems to be I trapped a nerve, its easing now after a few days so slept on it bad, another is some inflammation in sciatic ( erm spelling) joint, had it all checked out, xrays etc...nothing major...can still deadlift, but static holds for rows etc I stay away from now, and I bloody loved heavy rows lol.

Deload weeks where you spend a lot of time demolishing muscles with hockey balls for mobility are quite popular around here, for loosening up those niggles and such like. Check out the mobility thread.

kd

Thanks but been working that for a while. Pretty handy with a foam roller etc, but these seem pretty stubborn.

I love Christmas :D Training, eating and presents :D

Got a very fast 120kg close grip on bench on Saturday, did some squatting today, the flexor is still niggling so I left it after a few sets. It's definitely mending though :)

Merry Christmas all you gym rats ^^

Hey a few questions here before i start.. finally managed to sort all the job problems and im able to take a gym membership!

So i cycle ~115 miles a week and burn around 5k calories. Ill start goimg to gym early next year and im planning on going mon/wed/fri/werkends if im bored!

im 5'9ish and 11st not fat with quite a bit of muscle on my legs and arms but my back is the weak spot! I was thinking of skipping my lower body and only working out the upper - because i cycle so my leg muscles get enough excercise :-) what do you lot think is it ok to completely skip the lower body and only train the upper at the gym? And just how much protein should i consume a day? I burn ~1k a day 5 days a week and consume around 2-2.5k from food so im bang on the 'healthy/maintanance' level here.. but i want to cut and gain muscle mass at the same time! Which i know is a very difficult task and i suppose i dont really need to cut as i have very little body fat anyways.. - ~20ish% at a guess!

Sorry for a wall of text! Sucks to type on a phone.

Hey a few questions here before i start.. finally managed to sort all the job problems and im able to take a gym membership!

So i cycle ~115 miles a week and burn around 5k calories. Ill start goimg to gym early next year and im planning on going mon/wed/fri/werkends if im bored!

im 5'9ish and 11st not fat with quite a bit of muscle on my legs and arms but my back is the weak spot! I was thinking of skipping my lower body and only working out the upper - because i cycle so my leg muscles get enough excercise :-) what do you lot think is it ok to completely skip the lower body and only train the upper at the gym? And just how much protein should i consume a day? I burn ~1k a day 5 days a week and consume around 2-2.5k from food so im bang on the 'healthy/maintanance' level here.. but i want to cut and gain muscle mass at the same time! Which i know is a very difficult task and i suppose i dont really need to cut as i have very little body fat anyways.. - ~20ish% at a guess!

You have to hit lower body if you want to gain muscle mass. No exceptions.

I would agree but im not actually skipping it since i cycle quite a bit and i do try to keep up a good pace while doing it :-) i guess what morba suggested is a good starting point.

Nope! Commuting only but im not one to like a relaxing commute to work lol, i preffer to have a good workout while getting there and coming back.. i know morba, its just a starting point :-) i guess ill know better what works and what doesnt after a couple of months!

Knackered my knee walking home this morning :(. No Christmas Eve PBs for me :(.
Booo :(

Is it bad? Or just gay enough to get in the way?
Went I the unit with my boy today, had to get out of the house.

He did:
Overhead plate pressing, Overhead medleys, tyre flips, barrel rolls. Good session :)

I did:
Axle press from rack (couldn't be assed cleaning today)
Mixture of strict and push press
40xlots
60xlots
80x10
90x5
90x5
100x5
105x3
115xf
105x3
100x3
100x3
80x10
80x9

Circus DB strict press
33kg 10xleft / 10xright
Same again.

Shoulders feel nicely worked now :)
It's cool your lad is interested in lifting :)

How old is he? Think he'll want to get more into it?

Also, beast axle session :cool:
I love Christmas :D Training, eating and presents :D

Got a very fast 120kg close grip on bench on Saturday, did some squatting today, the flexor is still niggling so I left it after a few sets. It's definitely mending though :)

Merry Christmas all you gym rats ^^
My Christmas training training is also off to an early good start, some but PBs today!

Doubt you are 20% you should be less than that at that weight and with that amount of exercise. I am 5"8 and weight 10 st 12 and I am 14 %.

Yeah buddy!

I've always thought it would be awesome to start kids on basic gymnastics in terms of an awesome general athletic preparation, but that can be a little tricky. Definitely get him functional and jumping.

At some point I really want to set up a summer training somethingorother for youngsters, but it turns out it's not easy!

Yeah buddy!

I've always thought it would be awesome to start kids on basic gymnastics in terms of an awesome general athletic preparation, but that can be a little tricky. Definitely get him functional and jumping.

At some point I really want to set up a summer training somethingorother for youngsters, but it turns out it's not easy!

Yeah, he does trampolining also and some gymnastics stuff which is where I want him starting and doing for as long as possible :)

Kids sessions would be amazing, but yes, hard as hell to organise these days :(

Doubt you are 20% you should be less than that at that weight and with that amount of exercise. I am 5"8 and weight 10 st 12 and I am 14 %.

I've been losing weight actually! :) i only worked at my new place for ~2months now so thats 800+ miles done by cycling alone that i tracked, and this is when i started to lose weight :) before that i used to exercise a lot less but rarely went over the limit with my diet.

we'll see what cycling + gym + high protein diet is going to do :) ill try it for 2-4 months and see if i gain weight/muscle if not ill see what i can change :) but 2013 looks like a good year training wise for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom