*** The 2014 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
OP
Yes of course, anyone who finds even the slightest bit of amusement from others trying to change themselves really royals me up. But everyone has to start somewhere :)

I think you guys are assuming a fair old amount about people who work out with weights... the biggest things people will pay attention to are:

- People who are lifting dangerously;
- People who look like they are wasting their time (i.e. after six/eight weeks, are still doing the 2kg dumbells for shoulder prcess for eight reps);
- Hot chicks in yoga pants, doing... well... it generally doesn't really matter.

Most gym goers don't actually care about what anybody else is doing, so just go in and do you thing.

Obviously, that "thing" should be a considered, structured and progressive traing programme. ;) :D

Please watch the following videos for guidance, if you have any questions...

New to the gym?

How to behave with the bench press:

Gym etiquette

Man of Honour
OP
He didn't have insurance and even then only some of the top end insurance packages would cover an accident like that, I've never understood the snatch (lol), chucking hundreds of lbs above your head quickly isn't going to be safe ever.

Then you have never done one properly. ;)

And it is not particularly dangerous AS LONG AS it is taught and performed properly: reps for time is not properly.

Which goes to the heart of my problem with Crossfit. :(

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah, that picture doesn't do anything for it though.

To be honest, however, being around 6ft (181cm) myself and existing - in a previous life - at around 78kg and thinking I was big, I now know I was not. Not by a very, very, very long shot. And my arms weren't (and still aren't) as big as yours now.

It's nothing to be concerned about, however: you've made the decision to get huge, so let's do it. :)

Man of Honour
OP
Just got back from gym, got measured and gained 3kg muscle aswell as losing 0.7% fat over 2 weeks....not bad considering i ate a load of crap for a week or so during xmas so i am happy.

Ok - most of that will be water because of the increased amount of glycogen being held in those muscles being introduced to resistance exercise. There might be some muscle in there, but it may also be greater profusion of vasculature due ot hte increased blood supply requirements.

Done a workout of: (bare in mind my weights are low as i am new :p )

Seated Rows close grip 35kg 3x8
Tricep Bar pulldowns 17kg 3x8
Bicep Curls 18kg 3x8
Lats Pulldowns(think it's called that, overhead pulldown to below chin) 35kg 3x8
Bent over rows 20kg 3x8(i can do a lot more on this but first time i do it so)
Dumbell Chest Press 10kg each 3x8 (can do a lot more on this but my leftside is weak and getting form better for next time)
Standing Dumbells Lateral Raises 8kg each 3x8 (again leftside weak needs catching up so doing a weight it's feeling good with)

Was this a good workout of exercises? i am trying to workout each muscle group area on each day(do compounds on thursday with legs) i go but problem is i go mon/weds/thurs/sun so two days are next to each other twice so might be best just go back to split workouts for them?

That is a very busy schedule of beach weights that hurts my brain. Swap it all for chinups, bench and overhead press.

And as FrenchTart points out: where is your leg work? Where is your core work? Where is your real back work?

Before trying what i did today i splitted over 3 days with 3 exercises or so per muscle group only problem was one group as only being worked out once a week.

I was thinking might be best for me:

Sun:Triceps/Chest+15min HIIT
Mon:Biceps/Back/Shoulders+15min HIIT+Str Cardio
Weds:Triceps/Chest+15min HIIT+Str Cardio
Thurs:Squats/Benchpress/Deadlift/Some legs.+10min HIIT

I might just go with what you say Freefaller but i am wondering if the above could work well or stick with what i tried today?

That's a nasty set of sessions for a beginner, and I'm not sure how you can manage regular cardio AFTER HIIT twice a week... which suggests you're not doing HIIT properly. To support this, it looks like you will also have to eat pretty much everything you soo if you don't want to look like a marathon runner, too.

I would honestly look back at either Stronglifts or Steedie's "New Year's Resolution" routine to begin with.

Forgot to say, my main purpose is to be lean and pretty solid with around 10%-12% bodyfat or so.I want to put on some mass but not huge amounts.I also should note that i was born with a deformed lefthand which has had 2 operations on it to fuction a lot better though my grip with it is not as good as right....about 70% or so of it.(it's getting stronger and better)

Don't we all (aside from the "not huge" bit... ;).

Staying at around 10-12% bodyfat and putting on muscle mass is quite a challenge - quite possible for noob gains, but pretty difficult as you progress through your lifting career.

Regarding muscle mass itself, I would drop the assumption that you're suddenly going to explode into Ronnie Coleman or something after a month, or even a year. This stuff takes time: the noob gains you see are just easily removed once you stop, as those gains are a lot of muscle perfusion (i.e. water/blood) that drains out once those muscles aren't used properly (i.e. you stop working out).

If you want to look 'solid', then rethink your routine, rethink your priorities, and settle in for the long term. :)

With regard to your hand, looks like you're in for a LOT of pulling work to bring this up to scratch (assuming it's all healthy to be worked out)... this means:

- single arm rows;
- bent-over rows;
- deadlifts;
- Romanian deadlifts;
- Chinups;

Whilst not an exclusive list, you need to be focussing on heavy stuff to really stress your grip and build that strength in your forearm. Don't forget to look at your wrist and shoulder mobility for this side, too (actually, both sides!).

Either way, congratulations on your existing gains: keep it up! :)

Man of Honour
OP
Tom-e: Yeah it was, even though inaccurate it's a lot more accurate than other ones i've used but still i'll just get measured via callipers and take photos now.

UV: I'll do compounds twice a week then few days apart, thanks for the advice.

MrthingyX: I can't do one chin-up at the moment mainly due to my leftside due to what i said about my lefthand.(it's definitely improved)

I work my legs once a week with about 4 weight exercises, started pushups last few weeks, leg raises and will start dips the coming week.

I'll check those guides out thanks!

Yeah i know it takes time, my muscles been building slowly and i am trying to get my form correct on everything before going high weights too.

Pulldown exercises i am doing fairly well with and will try do more of those to help with the hand, thanks for this.It sucks being at a disadvantage but it doesn't stop me.

I think i might do pushups 2-3 times a week with dips to help with benchpress?

Also for my HIIT i am usually doing 15mins with 2mins rest/1min intervals:

Bike 70rpm 2mins/Intervals 1min 125-130rpm resistance 4
Crosstrainer 90rpm 2mins/Intervals 1min 140-160rpm resistance 7
Treadmill Speed 8 2mins/Intervals 1min Speed 13-15

Rowing machine i aim for a distance in 5mins....this tires me a lot perhaps i should do it a lot more.

I really would encourage you to read those guides. Please do so. :)

Man of Honour
OP
There is nothing high intensity about those intervals. You need shorter rests and much more intensity, in the 90+% range. The whole point is that you're completely destroyed after HIIT. What you're currently doing is just phases with slightly different intensity, which is just interval training.

Let's go right back to basics with your routine and cover some basics.

You need to be working from a foundation of squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, and some kind of pulling movement (chins, rows, etc.). This is where you need to be spending most of your energy, and the first three or four need to be on their own day (more advanced routines can mix things up).

Secondary to these are your accessory movements, which is also where your isolation work comes in. RDLs, DBSS, more rowing, core work, leg press, shoulder isolation, arm isolation...

And I've been referred to as the patient one... :p :D

Man of Honour
OP
Depending on how you want to end up (I.e. Mo Farah style?) my preference would be to run on my off/rest days to help circulate blood around those DOMS-ridden muscles.

Now if you are pushing the running hard, this will detract from your important :)D) gains by sapping energy and introducing different muscle fatigue.

Ultimately, however, see what works. :)

Edit: and be prepared for a spiralling food bill! ;)

Man of Honour
OP
I have finally got a gym membership! Yes!

I've got til June to see some change, whereby I will then be moving on (hopefully to a graduate job).

Best hypertrophy starting routine? Eating a lot better nowadays, and will be aiming for probably 3,000 calories a day. :)

Looking to do a bit of cardio just to reduce my heart rate and to get better circulation. Maybe a couple miles twice a week. :)

Have a look in the OP. ;) :D

Man of Honour
OP
Hi Gents

Quick question, are gloves in the gym a no no :) I seem to struggle at times with grip so was going to grab a pair and see if they help

Thanks

The actual 'grip' of your hand relates to the strength of your forearm muscles (i.e. the contractile apparatus of the fingers: what you're effectively saying is that those muscles are not as strong as you would like. They are no different from the others in your body and need strengthening. On that basis, do you really think sticking another notsogrippy layer between your hand and the bar/dumbell is going to improve the situation?

If anything it will probably make it worse. Would be far more beneficial to pick up some liquid chalk from MyProtein. Could always do some heavy grip work too (will let someone else chime in on that if you want a list).

As Deception points out, they won't help, and will actually make the problem worse over time as the unstable grip will probably lead to greater fatigue of the interosseous muscles (those between the metacarpals) more so than lifting without.

The best 'augmentors' of grip come in four (edited because I can't count) sizes:

- More static bar/weight/whatever holds: load up a bar with something heavy that you can lift and just hold it; towel holds, plate pinches, etc.
- Chalk: absorbs the sweat from your hands, making the bar easier to hold.
- Lifting straps: if your hands are tiring before whatever muscles are being worked, then these will take the strain off your forearms in specific circumstances.
- FatGripz/Bar work: increasing the diameter of the bar/dumbell you're holding significantly increases the amount of work your forearm muscles have to do, leading to untold misery, but a much better group strength.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Exciting times, been working on this for last 6 months. Managed to secure some big sponsors to join so hopefully it will be a success.

Just gone live with the following.

100 Day Plan

Home Page

Apart from odd correction and pre shots on the site by the web developer it's more or less complete. :D

Good luck with it, dude. It's shockingly expensive, but I hope you get good results for all involved (both "athletes" (sorry, but :rolleyes: ;) ) and punters..

Man of Honour
OP
This.

It's a shame that the whole market is about exploiting people's ignorance.

To be fair, even if they were well-informed, people want to hand over cold'n'hard instead of actually putting work in.

Look at gym membership statistics. Look at bariatric surgery statistics. Look at the proliferation of weightloss pills and 'thermogenic' BS. EDIT: Look at the number of ELECTIVE liposuction/implant surgeries.

All of this points to people knowing they should do something, but thinking that spending money = getting the benefits.

Man of Honour
OP
Back to clips (apologies) I onlynlift with them at work to protect the floor from errant plates that might slide off the bar. I never bother at home, because it is always a fun test of muscular/pattern imbalance to see whether one side rises/twists at a different rate to the other.

My former lifting coach told me off for putting clips on and explained the above reasoning. I like it.

Back
Top Bottom