*** The 2014 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
He considered going below parallol and his body gave up on him for it. Forget knee caps exploding off and smashing in to the wall, your body will projectile vomit and shut down just because he momentarily considered doing a full squat.

Man of Honour
Also, mr tommo,

If you want the simplest "gym" diet of all:

Count protein from meat, milk, and eggs and aim to hit ~180g every day.

Keep a rough track of the rest of your dietary quantities, and increase/decrease if you're not gaining muscle/gaining fat too quickly.

Thanks I've started using my fitness pal to keep an eye on what I eat. Mainly to see if what I class as healthy actually is..

Today's food :

Cal - 1854
Carbs - 280g
Fat - 35g
Protein - 111g
Fibre - 19g
Sodium - 3218mg

Is it worth getting a few eggs in tonight or is it more important to keep my calories down on a rest day?
See, this is why I posted what I did. Your protein is too low.

You need to get used to what consuming enough protein feels like. Eat one chicken breast at dinner? Not enough, you'll probably need two. Eat breakfast but don't have any protein? Not enough. Etc.

Soldato
*American Powerlifters (who don't lift in the IPF...)

It really annoys me that what he did there is considered powerlifting.

It's this sort of stuff that killed any respect I had for the big power lifting feds, it's almost any cheat goes and you're allowed to claim it's strength. Extreme arch, mega wide grip septuple ply shirted bench press actually being considered a valid lift.

I'm just waiting for hydrolic lifting suits to be sanctioned so that people can claim they've bench pressed 1000kg or something equally ridiculous. At least the amount of useful gear for deadlifting is pretty low.

Man of Honour
It's this sort of stuff that killed any respect I had for the big power lifting feds, it's almost any cheat goes and you're allowed to claim it's strength.
The loudest feds aren't the biggest ;)

The IPF and it's national affiliates are the biggest collective federation, and is exactly what powerlifting should be. Even their equipped lifting is still pretty cool, although I don't really like it in general.

Extreme arch, mega wide grip septuple ply shirted bench press actually being considered a valid lift.

I'm just waiting for hydrolic lifting suits to be sanctioned so that people can claim they've bench pressed 1000kg or something equally ridiculous. At least the amount of useful gear for deadlifting is pretty low.

I know - it is one of the things I don't really get about that sort of powerlifting (including those stupid suits).
I agree, "classic" powerlifting (i.e. unequipped) is what powerlifting should be.

Soldato
See, this is why I posted what I did. Your protein is too low.

You need to get used to what consuming enough protein feels like. Eat one chicken breast at dinner? Not enough, you'll probably need two. Eat breakfast but don't have any protein? Not enough. Etc.

Yep glad you did as I had no idea how much protein I should be getting.

Doubled the amount of chicken for my lunch today, so 60g protein instead of 30g, and will treat myself to a tin of tuna after my first workout tonight as I haven't researched which whey protein is best yet. With my evening meal tonight that should take me to 171g protein for the day with my calories sitting at 1850 Kcals.

I go to Pure Gym just by Basford bank, been there for over a year and really like it.

I've been a member there for about a year, hardly went and was doing mainly cardio when I did go. Always found it a little daunting in the weight section there. I just need to get over that, everybody has to start somewhere..

Soldato
I've been a member there for about a year, hardly went and was doing mainly cardio when I did go. Always found it a little daunting in the weight section there. I just need to get over that, everybody has to start somewhere..

Yes of course, anyone who finds even the slightest bit of amusement from others trying to change themselves really royals me up. But everyone has to start somewhere :)

Soldato
Yes of course, anyone who finds even the slightest bit of amusement from others trying to change themselves really royals me up. But everyone has to start somewhere :)

It was probably mroe to do with me feeling stupid and thinking everyone was looking when they almost certainly didn't care. I'm over it now, will be making that barbell my best friend this year!:p

Soldato
It was probably mroe to do with me feeling stupid and thinking everyone was looking when they almost certainly didn't care. I'm over it now, will be making that barbell my best friend this year!:p

Some people will look over and watch, I do it myself if it looks like they're lost in what they're doing and offer some tips to help with the lifts they're doing.

Back
Top Bottom