*** The 2014 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
Form > weight

Something I wish I'd listened to when starting out

This is something I've really taken on board.

...yet I still regularly forget it and be lazy about form :/ I managed to injure myself last week (thankfully only a minor injury) but I *knew* as I was working up to it that I was doing it wrong. I really should have stopped and concentrated. Sigh.

Man of Honour
So... My running plan was basically due to wanting more cardio endurance (mostly to improve my hill climbing whilst cycling). In addition to that I need to shift more blubber.

Thinking about it more I currently cycle 10+ miles each day Mon-Fri and 20-30 at the weekend. Just rode from Sheffield to Manchester too.

....this all leads me to think that maybe I shouldn't do running and perhaps look at something that would improve cardio endurance but also benefit lifting. Is some kind of HIIT involving split or dumbell squats worth looking at?

Apologies for rambling post - just trying to explain my reasoning :)

edit: Diet was awful before but this week I've initiated a strict diet plan also.

Caporegime
I am in need of a new bench but funds are very limited, found this on the bay any thoughts :confused:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GYMANO-SU...H-FLAT-INCLINE-DECLINE-MILITARY-/171198104232

You'd do better looking here really: http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/utility_benches/10036_0c.html

Unless you know what you're looking for on the bay obviously. I know LiE built a home gym last year so he might be able to advise on the type of bench he has. The main thing you probably need to know is how much weight it can support (including your BW)

Last edited:

UXB

UXB

Associate
You'd do better looking here really: http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/utility_benches/10036_0c.html

Unless you know what you're looking for on the bay obviously. I know LiE built a home gym last year so he might be able to advise on the type of bench he has. The main thing you probably need to know is how much weight it can support (including your BW)

Yeah i have been looking on fitness-superstore and powerhouse-fitness, they have some nice benches but my funds can't stretch, £100 is my max and i thought the stats of the bench i linked were quite good for the money, better than the cheap york, weider etc type benches.

FEATURES

Flat, Incline, Decline & Military positions (7 altogether)
Adjustable leg holder
High density tapered dual layer pads
Quick release adjusters
Non-slip rubber feet
Extra Heavy Duty

SPECIFICATION

Recommended Max Weight - 660 lbs / 300 kg

Dimensions: 59 cm wide x 150 cm long x 46 cm high

Soldato
So... My running plan was basically due to wanting more cardio endurance (mostly to improve my hill climbing whilst cycling). In addition to that I need to shift more blubber.

Thinking about it more I currently cycle 10+ miles each day Mon-Fri and 20-30 at the weekend. Just rode from Sheffield to Manchester too.

....this all leads me to think that maybe I shouldn't do running and perhaps look at something that would improve cardio endurance but also benefit lifting. Is some kind of HIIT involving split or dumbell squats worth looking at?

Apologies for rambling post - just trying to explain my reasoning :)

edit: Diet was awful before but this week I've initiated a strict diet plan also.

Sounds like you're doing more than enough endurance work to me already! Cardio is not like resistance training in that it can be trained/improved quickly and ultimately 'peaked' a lot easier.

Soldato
Yeah i have been looking on fitness-superstore and powerhouse-fitness, they have some nice benches but my funds can't stretch, £100 is my max and i thought the stats of the bench i linked were quite good for the money, better than the cheap york, weider etc type benches.

FEATURES

Flat, Incline, Decline & Military positions (7 altogether)
Adjustable leg holder
High density tapered dual layer pads
Quick release adjusters
Non-slip rubber feet
Extra Heavy Duty

SPECIFICATION

Recommended Max Weight - 660 lbs / 300 kg

Dimensions: 59 cm wide x 150 cm long x 46 cm high

Do you already have a rack then, to rest the bar on?

Associate
How much do you start?

That all depends on each individual, start with the bar and work your way up till you find a working rate. Always start low though, no need to be hitting your rep maxes when starting out. Work at something you can learn your form with and make an easy progression rate and you'll find things a whole lot easier in the long run.

Only you know this as you are the best judge of how hard you are working.

Lighter is good so your central nervous system and muscles get used to what you're hitting them with... but you then have to progress consistently. :)

Thanks, I thought it would be something like that.

J

Thug
Soldato
I have finally got a gym membership! Yes!

I've got til June to see some change, whereby I will then be moving on (hopefully to a graduate job).

Best hypertrophy starting routine? Eating a lot better nowadays, and will be aiming for probably 3,000 calories a day. :)

Looking to do a bit of cardio just to reduce my heart rate and to get better circulation. Maybe a couple miles twice a week. :)

Man of Honour
OP
I have finally got a gym membership! Yes!

I've got til June to see some change, whereby I will then be moving on (hopefully to a graduate job).

Best hypertrophy starting routine? Eating a lot better nowadays, and will be aiming for probably 3,000 calories a day. :)

Looking to do a bit of cardio just to reduce my heart rate and to get better circulation. Maybe a couple miles twice a week. :)

Have a look in the OP. ;) :D

Man of Honour
I'm about to hand my notice in at David Lloyd! \:cool:/ I shall be saving myself nearly £600 this year as a result.

Goodbye DL you bloody useless POS gym. Bloody 3 month notice, but meh, it's done.

Happy days.

Soldato
I'm about to hand my notice in at David Lloyd! \:cool:/ I shall be saving myself nearly £600 this year as a result.

Goodbye DL you bloody useless POS gym. Bloody 3 month notice, but meh, it's done.

Happy days.

Keep us updated on your continued Zumba and Bums & Tums conquest :p

Found a real gym?

Back
Top Bottom