*** The 2015 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Please bear with me all, this may be a long post, but need some advice on a potential new gym.

I joined a gym at a leisure centre in December (my old gym shut down). The gym seemed okay, with a dedicated free-weights area. However, over the last few months I have encountered several issue's. They have bought a squat rack/power rack, which is great. However, they bought no more barbells or weights which means that we have just one full size (7ft) barbell and one 6 foot one. They also bought no extra weights, which again means the weights are shared out far too much now. There was never a lot to start with, but it is becoming increasingly difficult at peak-ish times to get the right weights. The gym also has no barbell bench press facility, so have to use dumbbells to do the bench presses, unless you are lucky enough to find the power rack free. Again, this is becoming an issue as every time i go up in weight I am going up by 4kg a time.

I asked Tuesday if they were planning to get more weights, barbells etc, but was told there was no money for anything more. I have also needed some help over the last few weeks with things like my form on deadlifts, but there is very rarely someone about that can give advice, and I get the distinct impression that they are not very knowledgeable anyway. As I am only on a month-month contract I thought I would look at other gym's.

I have had a look at 2 places. But, there are potential issue's with both, and this is where I need some help.

The first one, http://www.wybostonlakeshealthandleisure.co.uk/, is open at the time I need it to be open. Has a decent amount of equipment, not overly free-weight orientated, but has a proper bench press and dumbbells up to 50kg, squat rack etc. It is a small free weight area however and quite a small gym in general.

The second, http://www.hanleysmuscleandfitness.co.uk/, is much more geared towards strength and muscle building, rather than cardio work. In my mind this is a proper 'gym' rather than a leisure centre. Lot's of equipment and the people seem knowledgeable and helpful (need some help with a few things so this is important). But, and it is really the only thing stopping me, the opening hours are not great.

I work 3 days per week, 12 hour shifts. I split my gym sessions up so I go 3 days per week (perhaps 4 at a push), but these have to fit in around my work. For instance this week I worked Mon-Wed. I went to the gym Tuesday evening at 8.30pm after getting home from work and having my dinner. I will go today and Saturday as well. Next week I will go Monday during the day, Wednesday durning the day and Saturday after work at about 7pm. Then the week after I am on nights so will go Monday at 6.30am after finishing work, Wednesday at some point and friday at some point.

The issue is that Hanleys don't open until 8am and shut at 9pm (weekdays) and 1pm at the weekends, so it would rule out me going to the gym after I have finished work. Which has a knock on effect of me then having to go excusivley on my days off, which means in some cases doing at least 2 sessions on consecutive days (sometimes all three).

How much of an issue is this? All the advice in here I have been given is that your body needs the time off to rest, the 5x5 guide say's you need one day off between sessions.

I would really like to join Hanleys, but just don't think it will work for me.

Thanks, sorry its so long winded.

Man of Honour
My wife told me last night that I was getting too muscly - options? Ignor, cut or divorce?

Time to upgrade to a newer model.

2 people have told me I'm looking smaller today, rip gainz :(

I know they just need educating and by smaller they mean leaner, but still "small" right in the feels!

And no they didn't mean short before any of you offal based meatballs say it :p

Last edited:
Soldato
My wife told me last night that I was getting too muscly - options? Ignor, cut or divorce?

Hah i had this and "your turning into a pea head" from my ex... hence being my ex ;)

^ ouch them feels how dare they! I get told i look "bigger" when i'm lean probably just because fat isn't hiding it away.

Last edited:
Soldato
Please bear with me all, this may be a long post, but need some advice on a potential new gym.

I joined a gym at a leisure centre in December (my old gym shut down). The gym seemed okay, with a dedicated free-weights area. However, over the last few months I have encountered several issue's. They have bought a squat rack/power rack, which is great. However, they bought no more barbells or weights which means that we have just one full size (7ft) barbell and one 6 foot one. They also bought no extra weights, which again means the weights are shared out far too much now. There was never a lot to start with, but it is becoming increasingly difficult at peak-ish times to get the right weights. The gym also has no barbell bench press facility, so have to use dumbbells to do the bench presses, unless you are lucky enough to find the power rack free. Again, this is becoming an issue as every time i go up in weight I am going up by 4kg a time.

I asked Tuesday if they were planning to get more weights, barbells etc, but was told there was no money for anything more. I have also needed some help over the last few weeks with things like my form on deadlifts, but there is very rarely someone about that can give advice, and I get the distinct impression that they are not very knowledgeable anyway. As I am only on a month-month contract I thought I would look at other gym's.

I have had a look at 2 places. But, there are potential issue's with both, and this is where I need some help.

The first one, http://www.wybostonlakeshealthandleisure.co.uk/, is open at the time I need it to be open. Has a decent amount of equipment, not overly free-weight orientated, but has a proper bench press and dumbbells up to 50kg, squat rack etc. It is a small free weight area however and quite a small gym in general.

The second, http://www.hanleysmuscleandfitness.co.uk/, is much more geared towards strength and muscle building, rather than cardio work. In my mind this is a proper 'gym' rather than a leisure centre. Lot's of equipment and the people seem knowledgeable and helpful (need some help with a few things so this is important). But, and it is really the only thing stopping me, the opening hours are not great.

I work 3 days per week, 12 hour shifts. I split my gym sessions up so I go 3 days per week (perhaps 4 at a push), but these have to fit in around my work. For instance this week I worked Mon-Wed. I went to the gym Tuesday evening at 8.30pm after getting home from work and having my dinner. I will go today and Saturday as well. Next week I will go Monday during the day, Wednesday durning the day and Saturday after work at about 7pm. Then the week after I am on nights so will go Monday at 6.30am after finishing work, Wednesday at some point and friday at some point.

The issue is that Hanleys don't open until 8am and shut at 9pm (weekdays) and 1pm at the weekends, so it would rule out me going to the gym after I have finished work. Which has a knock on effect of me then having to go excusivley on my days off, which means in some cases doing at least 2 sessions on consecutive days (sometimes all three).

How much of an issue is this? All the advice in here I have been given is that your body needs the time off to rest, the 5x5 guide say's you need one day off between sessions.

Personally, look further a field or go to the one that suits your timetable the best, Hanleys sounds 100x better but its pointless if you cant go when your available to.

Man of Honour
Time to upgrade to a newer model.

2 people have told me I'm looking smaller today, rip gainz :(

I know they just need educating and by smaller they mean leaner, but still "small" right in the feels!

And no they didn't mean short before any of you offal based meatballs say it :p

I know them feels...

Man of Honour

Go to the one that matches your lifestyle - otherwise you'll be stressing.

Do Hanleys do day passes? You could always go there when you have the time?

Associate
Personally, look further a field or go to the one that suits your timetable the best, Hanleys sounds 100x better but its pointless if you cant go when your available to.

To be honest, I am not sure going further is an option. My current gym is about 8 miles from me, the two I have been looking at are about 8/9 miles from me. The only other option is to go the other way from me where they have a fitness first and an LA fitness. I have tried LA fitness and it was horrible, not tired fitness first tbh, but I have friends who go up there who say it gets stupid busy in the free weights area.

There is a Gold's gym, but I didn't like the feel of it, I felt intimidated just looking round there tbh.

Soldato
To be honest, I am not sure going further is an option. My current gym is about 8 miles from me, the two I have been looking at are about 8/9 miles from me. The only other option is to go the other way from me where they have a fitness first and an LA fitness. I have tried LA fitness and it was horrible, not tired fitness first tbh, but I have friends who go up there who say it gets stupid busy in the free weights area.

There is a Gold's gym, but I didn't like the feel of it, I felt intimidated just looking round there tbh.

Golds gym would be awesome for bodybuilding and knowledge. I'd love to train in one of those.. I can see what you mean though about feeling intimidated.

Associate
I seem to have lost the form thread so I thought I'd ask for help here regarding benching. Bench has always been my weakness and I always feel it is important to review the technique and see if it can be improved.

I dropped the weight to something lighter than I would usually bench on purpose. My concerns from the video is the positioning between the wrist and elbow, in that they're not perfectly inline. The other thing I noticed was that I was getting 0 leg drive. Any tips?

Man of Honour
Well, I don't bench anymore but the bar path looks scarily diagonal from here... :eek:

Your grip also looks unsuitably wide, too. This might be causing the curious bar path. Narrow your grip significatly as it looks like you're putting an enormous strain on your shoulders (not just delts but rotator cuff, too).

Regarding leg drive, there are better people than me to talk through that. I personally think you should be careful with it on the basis that - IMHO - you're either strong enough to lift something or you aren't; leg drive will help with your bracing and stabilisation, but this should be pretty good anyway.

Caporegime

My gyms 13 miles away from my house, however I go after work usually so it's 18 miles from work, then 13 miles back home...Allllll because they have a lifting platform :o If any in the town I work in had a platform and bumper plates I'd probably go there to save petrol.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Seriously though, too big? She like dat skinny jeans time or something? My gf told me to not get 'too' big, like Arnold big...:D

Man of Honour
Pushing through the legs will help you to push into the bench - What happens when you push through with your legs?

You need to feel as though you're also "bending" the bar, it gives you a sense of lat activation, then also lock your scapulas in place (Imagine you are trying to tuck them into your rear trouser pockets).

I would also suggest you probably have tight pecs too.

That bar needs to come down to around the bottom of your sternum - a mild arching path is fine. I seems that your elbows are too flared out too, but that is as MrThingy said to do with your grip being a bit wide.

Of course there is nothing wrong with wide grip, it's just a different exercise which has its own idiosyncrasies.

Caporegime
I seem to have lost the form thread so I thought I'd ask for help here regarding benching. Bench has always been my weakness and I always feel it is important to review the technique and see if it can be improved.

I dropped the weight to something lighter than I would usually bench on purpose. My concerns from the video is the positioning between the wrist and elbow, in that they're not perfectly inline. The other thing I noticed was that I was getting 0 leg drive. Any tips?

Narrow your grip then, my understanding is your forearm should essentially be vertical at the bottom of the movement, then again I'm not competing so having the shortest ROM is your gold mine...Try narrowing slightly, I have my small finger before the ring on the bar and I've got pretty long arms, however I do this more because I don't want my shoulder to explode.

Concerns to leg drive...How do you mean? You may need to play with your feet position, either wider/narrower or bring them in/out?

Here is mine for comparison: http://youtu.be/V0BWLTQcHJI
Bearing in mind I've only recently got to grips with Bench in the last year and it's far from perfect. Be handy to get some pointers from the powerlifting boys really seeing as that's what you do :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom