*** The 2015 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to have lost the form thread so I thought I'd ask for help here regarding benching. Bench has always been my weakness and I always feel it is important to review the technique and see if it can be improved.

I dropped the weight to something lighter than I would usually bench on purpose. My concerns from the video is the positioning between the wrist and elbow, in that they're not perfectly inline. The other thing I noticed was that I was getting 0 leg drive. Any tips?

Hard to see the bar grips but your grip width looks ok to me - maybe a little wide but nothing crazy. Totally depends how big your arms are though to be honest.

You seem very loose though and that your arch in the back is actually faked. (ie your arching deliberately not naturally)
I personally don't adopt a wide leg stance for bench after watching a lot of strength trainers explaining their bench. If you squeeze your legs into the bench together with your bum, it will naturally lift the chest and you can get a better push from it.

Also with your shoulders squeeze in and down into the bench , its a weird thing to explain but if you do it right your notice the difference in lifting.

(FYI my current bench is 125kg)

Last edited:
You don't want your bum to lift off the bench though, but a good leg drive will give you a more positive and powerful arch. Bench has a lot of leg and lat work involved in it. If you're not able to engage those 2 muscle groups then you're definitely not setting up correctly.

However I've already explained my opinion a few posts above.

(FYI I warm up with 125kg :p )

Depending on the height of your catchers and how much you sink into the bench it can be quite difficult to stay tight without a spotter to hand the bar off to you.

I've got little t rex arms and the catches on the rack at my gym at just a little high for me to be able to lift it over the hooked ends without losing some tightness, using a spotter I can stay solid though the whole lift though.

You don't want your bum to lift off the bench though, but a good leg drive will give you a more positive and powerful arch. Bench has a lot of leg and lat work involved in it. If you're not able to engage those 2 muscle groups then you're definitely not setting up correctly.

However I've already explained my opinion a few posts above.

(FYI I warm up with 125kg :p )

Not to mention he'll fail the lift in competition.

6'1, 89kg don't even eat.

80kg of that is in your arms and lats.

8kg is then your bionic impants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom