*** The 2015 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Okay, advice time please. My lower back (kind of lower left side) is giving me a lot of grief at the moment. I hurt it a few weeks ago and it hasn't cleared up properly.

I tried some deadlifts the other day, at a lower weight than I would normally do, and they seemed fine. Today however I tired at nearly my normal weight (100kg) and it is now killing me to the point where even walking is painful. I still have anti-inflammatory's from the doctors so going to pop them and it will subside over the next few days, but think I need to give it a total rest from doing deadlifts.

Squats seem to be fine, as do bent over row's, tried some t-bar rows today, single arm rows. Basically it is the deadlifts that are aggravating it.

Is there any other exercise I can do for my lower back to help it recover in the meantime. I don't want to stop doing the deadlifts, but I can't carry on like this. Hopefully in a month I can start again and be pain free.

Associate
Stretch, mobilise and drop the weight back a lot.

Go see a doctor and sort your deadlift form out... because it doesn't sound great. :) Post a vid in here if you want...?

I saw the doctor a few weeks back. I fell off my bike in ice and hurt my back then. He obviously advised rest and anti inflammatory drugs. I have rested it for a couple of weeks, but its obviously not long enough.

Having said all that, I think your right, I don't think my deadlift form is great tbh. I have never seen anyone else at my gym doing deadlifts so nobody to ask. Will try and get a video up next week, although again, not sure if its gonna be possible or not, but will do my best.

I know I am finding it difficult to keep my back straight, I do round it off and I have noticed I tend to come up right side first if that makes sense (although that could be because of the pain in the bottom left of my back).

Man of Honour
There a few things you can do to straighten yourself out, but best to start with some crucifix stretching, back extensions and Romanian deadlifts to sort out what sounds like stiff hips
.. or rather, hips that haven't been used before. .. :)

Soldato
So I got cramp in my calf during the night and I had planned to have a Legs day workout today. Do you think it'll be ok to do so despite a slight linger in the calf pain?

Soldato
It can also be just growing pains (depending on how old the OP is). I used to get terrible calf cramps 16-19 and doctor diagnosed "get older and they'll go away", whcih they did :)

Associate
Think I need to pay a visit with the gp... I've been feeling tired recently, despite having 8 hours sleep a night. Initially I thought it was due to eating reduced calories but I bumped that up to 3000kcal with no improvement. Its affected my lifts too as I haven't progressed in a couple of weeks...

Soldato
Does anyone read Kelly Starlett and just think "I'm a failure as a human being" when you can barely perform his most basic stretches without some sort of pain?

Just me then :D

Soldato
Did my first half marathon yesterday. 2hrs 30. Didn't do any training, quite enjoy it actually, managed to run for the first full 10 miles at a pace I was comfortable at. May keep running up! Legs and ankles hurt though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom