*** The 2015 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Think I need to pay a visit with the gp... I've been feeling tired recently, despite having 8 hours sleep a night. Initially I thought it was due to eating reduced calories but I bumped that up to 3000kcal with no improvement. Its affected my lifts too as I haven't progressed in a couple of weeks...

Sounds unpleasant. Are you a student?

Does anyone read Kelly Starlett and just think "I'm a failure as a human being" when you can barely perform his most basic stretches without some sort of pain?

Just me then :D

Probably the most important thing to happen to Americans since... a long time.

Did my first half marathon yesterday. 2hrs 30. Didn't do any training, quite enjoy it actually, managed to run for the first full 10 miles at a pace I was comfortable at. May keep running up! Legs and ankles hurt though.

Awesome work! Personally I am full if admiration for you nutcases! :) :) :)

Last edited:
Associate
So I'm thinking of changing to 5/3/1 whilst on this cut so I can work on rep maxes rather than constantly trying for 5RMs on SL. Now it seems to me that just doing one compound a session is a big drop in volume compared to SL, and there's no BOR. Is it therefore feasible/sensible to try something like this:

Day 1

Squat 5/3/1
OHP 5/3/1

Day 2

Dead 5/3/1

Day 3

Bench 5/3/1
BOR 5/3/1 or 5x5

this keeps the 3day/week i'm used to and adds BOr back into it. Thoughts?

Soldato
Think I need to pay a visit with the gp... I've been feeling tired recently, despite having 8 hours sleep a night. Initially I thought it was due to eating reduced calories but I bumped that up to 3000kcal with no improvement. Its affected my lifts too as I haven't progressed in a couple of weeks...

Plateauing is common so you might not have an issue. You probably need to shake up your routine more than anything.

So I'm thinking of changing to 5/3/1

What else are you doing each day? Hard to say anything without a full routine.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
So I'm thinking of changing to 5/3/1 whilst on this cut so I can work on rep maxes rather than constantly trying for 5RMs on SL. Now it seems to me that just doing one compound a session is a big drop in volume compared to SL, and there's no BOR. Is it therefore feasible/sensible to try something like this:

Day 1

Squat 5/3/1
OHP 5/3/1

Day 2

Dead 5/3/1

Day 3

Bench 5/3/1
BOR 5/3/1 or 5x5

Get hold of a copy of the 5/3/1 ebook it explains all this, there's no point in half arseing it and calling it 5/3/1.

Associate
What else are you doing each day? Hard to say anything without a full routine.

SL5x5, like I said.

Get hold of a copy of the 5/3/1 ebook it explains all this, there's no point in half arseing it and calling it 5/3/1.

I don't think I'm half-arsing it, it's the same as the 'not doing jack s***' version but condensed into three days, with an extra exercise thrown in...

Last edited:
Associate

Day 1

Squat 5/3/1
OHP 5/3/1

Day 2

Dead 5/3/1

Day 3

Bench 5/3/1
BOR 5/3/1 or 5x5

BOR is in the routine as an accessory to either deadlift or bench. The rep scheme you run for it doesn't really matter though, especially when running it after your main movement. As tom_e said, the eBook will clear all of this up. Also, 5/3/1 is typically a 4 day training routine, it just depends if you run 3 days or 4 days within the week. There are exceptions to this but I'll leave that info for another post

Man of Honour
SL5x5, like I said.

I don't think I'm half-arsing it, it's the same as the 'not doing jack s***' version but condensed into three days, with an extra exercise thrown in...

The book explains how to run it as a 3 days program and also gives you options for extra accessory work which would solve the you not feeling like you're doing enough volume.

If you need a copy drop me a trust message and I think I've got it on my laptop at home so I can send it tonight.

Soldato
I feel a bit dirty and got it free by Googling.

I think the "Do Jack" version is a bit lazy. Boring But Big is the one that seems to be most popular.

I think the general idea is to add 1-2 exercises of 5 sets on top of the core requirement.

Pick from:
Hanging leg raises
A different squat
Leg press
Rows
Pull ups
A different bench press
A different deadlift
Lunges

Man of Honour

Day 1

Squat 5/3/1
OHP 5/3/1

Day 2

Dead 5/3/1

Day 3

Bench 5/3/1
BOR 5/3/1 or 5x5

It won't make you explode, if that is what you are asking...?

It is a powerlifting/strength routine based around a simple taper, so going bananas with assistance work (such as bent over rows) won't hurt your progress.

However, whilst you are on a cut, I would suggest moving away from BBB as there isn't really much point in it (and - IMHO - when eating to excess) beyond delaying your recovery... Which is all the more important when cutting.

Essentially, if you are doing strength: do strength. Some lighter/limited compound stuff is fine afterwards as assistance work or for "the pump" but BBB will just spark out your nervous system to no good purpose. Eric Cressey's suggested scheme of 3*3 followed by 8*2 gives enough stimulus for strength and a little volume without blitzing an unadapted nervous system.

Man of Honour
haha - that's fair, but also for strength development you do need to spend time under the bar, but with the weights being higher you can't do as many reps, so you need to do more of them to get the development. High volume doesn't need to be mad volume, just more than 5/3/1 offers in my opinion. especially over only 3 days a week you're going to struggle to get enough stimulation from exercises.

Associate
5/3/1 is just a template, it's really flexible and you can adapt it to whatever you want to do. If you want to train 4 days a week, do one main lift a day. If you want extra volume, add extra volume. If the higher reps impact too much on the volume, don't do as many reps (e.g. just do the prescribed reps instead of AMRAP).

The main point of 5/3/1 is not to provide a rigid formula for every training session, but rather to provide you with a clear progression for weights & reps on your main lift. It gives you a goal to shoot for each session and helps you measure progress. Lots of people have trouble with consistency in their training, and 5/3/1 really focuses on this - just keep repeating the basic cycle over and over and you will improve.

If you don't like it, that's fine, but I don't think it's fair to say that 5/3/1 doesn't have enough volume or similar, because at its heart its just a framework to which you can add whatever you want (within reason).

Man of Honour
Yeah it's a good beginners/starters introduction to a more powerlifting scope of lifting - I found "Beyond 5/3/1" to be more complete. Besides, once you get to a certain level you chop and change and create hybrid workouts by taking the best bits from others and combining them to create a good programme.

Strength = time under the bar (time in tension) = volume. Volume = reps x weight. So you don't have to do lots of reps, you can do lots of singles/doubles at a higher weight. However volume is key, with decent rests of course. Intensity is another thing altogether. Then there is programme cycling as well and load cycling which is quite effective. Then there are even more advanced techniques - but for keeping it simple I agree 5/3/1 is a good starter for 10.

It is important for routines to be periodised and for them to be ramped up in intensity/load. No point in doing 70% of your 1RM all the time - you need to start doing more than just your 5RM and start doing 6... 5/3/1 is a good introduction to phased loading techniques I don't dispute that. It is my duty to let people know that there are shortfalls (as with all generic programmes). :) Adding speed work can also help with strength development.

Man of Honour
I feel a bit dirty and got it free by Googling.

I think the "Do Jack" version is a bit lazy. Boring But Big is the one that seems to be most popular.

I think the general idea is to add 1-2 exercises of 5 sets on top of the core requirement.

Pick from:
Hanging leg raises
A different squat
Leg press
Rows
Pull ups
A different bench press
A different deadlift
Lunges

BBB is pointless and really should be avoided - a dropset at a sensible % of your 1RM for AMRAP is more sensible.

Man of Honour
BBB doesn't really help do anything other than perhaps let you do lots of volume for the sake of it. If you have bad form, poor motor patterns all it will do is reinforce them, thus amplifying the chance of injury or accentuating poor form.

It's 50% of your 90% of your 1RM. All it does fatigue you and give you a "pump" and takes up a lot of time. You're following a powerlifting programme so why do 10 reps with low weight as part of the main lifts?

If you have the energy after your 5/3/1 progression to do 50 reps - you'd be better pushed to do some decent assistance work which will offer you much more benefit to your motor patterns / enhancing core strength and balancing out weaknesses. Training shouldn't just be about tiring yourself out but actually achieving a benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom