*** The 2017 Gym Rats Thread ***

Associate
Front squats are more taxing in terms of your ability to keep your thoracic spine/upper back from collapsing than anything else, where as pretty much all barbell based squats are going to require some sort of core stability. Depending on how you back squat that might be a reason, might have lost some quad strength as with fronties you always have to be getting your hips back under the bar on the way up and keeping tension on the quads or you drop the bar where as you can get away with more lean with other variations/less quads. Might be down to an overall reduction in squatting volume. Hard to tell.

There are some squat variations that the Smith is somewhat okay for; if there's no hack squat machine for instance you can do these which are pretty much the equivalent and take advantage of the unnautral ROM of the machine to target the quads. It's only for secondary work though, RIP if no actual rack. :(

I feel like my weakness during squats is my upper back colapsing so ill try the smith machine front squats.

Although I agree with your last sentance, I think I can manage without the power rack if I can deadlift and squat in my normal gym on the weekend :D

Man of Honour
Dragged myself to the gym today. So many front squats finished with back squats finished with the jelly leg walk home after nearly face planting the stairs.

Man of Honour
OP
I have to put up with absolute 80s with my pt. If I remember I switch it to planet rock but usually I forget :p

Hehe... I can't really talk, but my (what little I had) gains left me when Planet Rock stopped broadcasting in my area (digital radio couldn't be retuned for some reason): so I am now stuck with the BBC channels. :cool: :confused: :(

Soldato
Ive been getting an ache on my inside elbow (Golfer elbow) for a while on and off - last night after pullups its more sore today.

Has anyone else suffered from this? I don't really want to stop training if possible? Is it dangerous to continue training with this? Seems to hurt doing pullups and bench press....

Cheers

Soldato
Ive been getting an ache on my inside elbow (Golfer elbow) for a while on and off - last night after pullups its more sore today.

Has anyone else suffered from this? I don't really want to stop training if possible? Is it dangerous to continue training with this? Seems to hurt doing pullups and bench press....

Cheers
Yep, suffered from this.

What seemed the cause/fix was shoulder flexibility.
Basically not being under the bar properly and my arms coming forward.

Lots of stretching, work to build the back:

Last edited:
Soldato
cheers GP :) Did you continue training with the pain or take time off? Deadlifts / Squats / Barbell Rows seem okay (not sure about Press yet)

Soldato
Well I took around a month playing with different 'fixes' until I found the shoulder stretches and assistance work that helped.
So sort of time off doing pull ups directly.

Though If I do a good round of stretches, I could do the pull ups in my routine without pain, and I certainly noticed if I skipped the stretching (or reduced stretching )

He's a vid of some stuff, elbow pain during squats, but it came from the same route for me with the pull ups:

Edit: don't be distracted by the female in the background......or do.....

Soldato

Cheers

I had this on and off for about 3 months at the back end of last year.

I did not go to a doctors, but what seemed to aggravate it was Arnold presses and upright rows.

I am pretty much 90% recovered from it now, all I did was increase the amount of stretching I did with my forearms and elbows pre-workout, and also increased the amount of forearm exercises that I do. I used to only dedicate a slot once per week to work my foreams. This is twice a week now.

I have no idea of the science, but it has worked for me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

One injury that still niggles me, is an old hernia that I had fixed about 2 years ago.

Deadlifting caused it, when I felt a 'pop' under my rig cage (best way I can describe it). I am convinced it was a mixture of bad form and ego lifting, still when I lift deadlift and squat now I can feel a little weakness in the area where the hernia was.

Soldato
I am pretty much 90% recovered from it now, all I did was increase the amount of stretching I did with my forearms and elbows pre-workout, and also increased the amount of forearm exercises that I do. I used to only dedicate a slot once per week to work my foreams. This is twice a week now.

What stretches do you do for forearms and elbows and what forearm excercises?

Man of Honour
i pay for spotify, prefer to stick to a single platform, but thanks for that, if nothing comes up ill consider giving it a try

Ah apologies thought your were using the free service. :) Likewise I pay for a family subscription to Google play.

There must be some mood/activity based playlists on spotify too no? I don't use it so can't help, but it seems like a basic feature.

Soldato
What stretches do you do for forearms and elbows and what forearm excercises?

Exercises I do a lot of forearm/wrist curls. I was convinced that it was the weakness here that was causing undue pressure on my elbow.

In respect of stretching I spend a good 2 to 3 minutes doing this with both of my arms :

nmj4wn.jpg

Wrist upwards, wrist downwards, alternate on each arm.

I am not a doctor, and I didnt see one, I can only speak on what helped me. My golfers elbow was really limiting me, and as mentioned earlier I seem to have overcome a lot of it.

Back
Top Bottom