*** The 2017 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
I've spent a while working on my squat form and I feel I might be neglecting my other lifts.
I've got video of some deadlifts, I was trying to keep the form right (hence the stop and re-setup)
I think I'm not standing fully at the end, but I would like other people's opinions encase I'm getting more wrong:

snip vid

Check out proper breathing and bracing techniques from Chris Duffin. I was once told by a wise master of the forums (Icecold ;)) that there is no way you can end up with a decently braced core when you start bracing from a compromised postion. Which reminds me, also check Top down bracing I believe from K-star over at Mwod.

Soldato
The diet plan doesn't look too bad, but just make sure to not over do things like processed carbs etc, and with your dinners make sure your focus is on the protein source and don't overdo the carbs, and stay clean in terms of avoiding extra snacking etc.

Cheers again Syla5 - good to know I'm roughly in the right direction - I snack healthy always... My lunch is always some kind of chicken or beef buns and dinner is always some kind of chicken, beef or mince meat with chips (I know bad but not often), pasta, potatoes or rice....

Soldato
Check out proper breathing and bracing techniques from Chris Duffin. I was once told by a wise master of the forums (Icecold ;)) that there is no way you can end up with a decently braced core when you start bracing from a compromised postion. Which reminds me, also check Top down bracing I believe from K-star over at Mwod.

I'll look into it, I've really been trying to work on my bracing.
Still learning to get everything remembered while doing the exercise!

Soldato
Cheers Syla5 so around 2650 I will aim for and sounds more realistic to over 3k.... My weight is staying very constant over the past 1.5 month - Im just monitoring it for the 5x5 app.... Since Xmas Ive gone down from size 36 to 33 which is good... but still have some excess...

Does my meal list look about right for 2650 calories? Or should I add more or less food?

Cheers

If you're maintaining your weight without much effort then it should be easy to move into a gaining phase since you can just add in a little more food each week and see how your weight responds - just make sure you're training is productive and your lifts are going up since no matter how 'clean' your diet is, if you're in a surplus and not giving your body the stimulation to grow you'll just be squirreling those extra calories away as fat. I like these recommendations from Eric Helms:

Rate-of-Weight-Gain.jpg

Also remember the hierarchy of nutritional importance when it comes to your diet (again, from Eric Helms, google 'Helms pyramid for great success). As long as the majority of your calories are coming from nutritious sources, having a minority of your intake come from stuff that's not very nutrient dense won't make any difference to your goals. Get enough calories, enough protein, fat sources that provide your EFAs, fibre and vary your intake to cover your micronutrient needs (and enjoyment of eating) and you'll be fine. 80/20 is a good rule to go by when it comes to eating: covers all your nutritional bases but gives you a little flexibility to enjoy yourself too.

tumblr_o1kmu91zDe1v5b6a1o1_1280.jpg

Soldato
aaaaand I've an X-Ray tomorrow for a possible stress fracture in my foot. Someone really doesn't want me in the gym or exercising :mad:

Soldato
aaaaand I've an X-Ray tomorrow for a possible stress fracture in my foot. Someone really doesn't want me in the gym or exercising :mad:

There's always the option of MTFU too? ;)

All jokes aside, hope it doesn't put you out for too long!

I've tried searching but no joy - what was the reiyushin deadlift progression of gains he posted some months back?

Is that not just the programme in his sig?

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-2016-gym-rats-thread.18710906/page-58#post-29878006

Soldato
Doh, cheers chaps. I've got excuses now!

Although I realise I don't have sigs in the mobile version hence I missed it. I can't front squat to save my life so will probably just do Day 2 as day 1 but add a little more weight

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not far off getting physio on my leg. Really annoying. Doesn't hurt during squats or deadlifts, but does walking out with the bar. Seems to be when I put weight on it at a certain position and just as I lift it off the floor.

Anyway, first deadlift day today post wedding and without jet lag. Amazing what a good rest does.

Associate
On the topic of front squats, my new gym doesn't have a power/squat rack only a smith machine - will the smith machine take away the core stability part of the exercise? I've noticed my (back) squats have been getting progressively worse since I've stopped front squatting and I'm assuming it's due to my weak core.

Soldato
Front squats are more taxing in terms of your ability to keep your thoracic spine/upper back from collapsing than anything else, where as pretty much all barbell based squats are going to require some sort of core stability. Depending on how you back squat that might be a reason, might have lost some quad strength as with fronties you always have to be getting your hips back under the bar on the way up and keeping tension on the quads or you drop the bar where as you can get away with more lean with other variations/less quads. Might be down to an overall reduction in squatting volume. Hard to tell.

There are some squat variations that the Smith is somewhat okay for; if there's no hack squat machine for instance you can do these which are pretty much the equivalent and take advantage of the unnautral ROM of the machine to target the quads. It's only for secondary work though, RIP if no actual rack. :(

Soldato
When it comes to barbells, don't get anything other than a proper Olympic bar. If you plan on lifting safely you want something that fits in a rack or won't snap when you're squatting or pulling anything heavy.

Soldato
Always worth checking on ebay if anyone selling stuff locally for collection only since it would cost too much to post. Quite a few people netted some bargains that way.

Back
Top Bottom