*** The 2017 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
I've spent a while working on my squat form and I feel I might be neglecting my other lifts.
I've got video of some deadlifts, I was trying to keep the form right (hence the stop and re-setup)
I think I'm not standing fully at the end, but I would like other people's opinions encase I'm getting more wrong:

Soldato
Are you doing some kind of shrug at the top of the lift? It looked initially like you were almost pulling the bar up (as if to start an upright row) when you got to the top. I might be wrong though. The plates hide your arms/shoulders.

Your technique didnt look to bad to me though.

Soldato
Are you doing some kind of shrug at the top of the lift? It looked initially like you were almost pulling the bar up (as if to start an upright row) when you got to the top. I might be wrong though. The plates hide your arms/shoulders.

Your technique didnt look to bad to me though.
I felt as though I was leaning forwards a bit at the top, so I reckon that's me sort of 'straightening up' because to me it feels like the first rep I'm not standing fully at the end

Man of Honour
Back to the gym. No energy today as I haven't fuelled properly. Still some hamstring discomfort right at the top which is annoying. Was hoping it would be gone. Not sure what to do about it. At least my shoulder has recovered.

Soldato
Ive got the bug again:- I started light training before Xmas and I've been doing 5x5 for about 5 weeks. I'm 44 6ft1 84kg and a bit of bf..
I used to weightlift about 8 years ago on and off for many years... (mainly split routines) I'm making decent gains - prob coz of muscle memory and starting afresh....

I was reading I need around 3300 calories to gain muscle with about 289g protein.... This sounds a lot and I'm worried about getting fatter.

I am trying to eat better, but don't want to kill myself eating too strict...
This is my current meals I usually have - How does it sound; is it close to my calorie and protein targets?

Large porridge with honey, blueberries and Goji Berries made with skimmed milk and 1/2 scoop protein powder

Handful of nuts and some fruit

2 chicken white buns with salad

Banana

Protein Shake with skimmed milk

Dinner - large platefuls:- e,g steak and veg with fries or mash / chicken, potato, vegs and gravy / Spag Bol / Sweet Chilli Chicken & White Rice / Black Bean Chicken & White Rice

Protein Shake

Skyr Yoghurt (1/3rd) with berries and grapes and 1/2 scoop protein powder

Thanks for your reply....

SpLuFF

Soldato
Taking the week off and took most of last one off too, yet somehow managed to get hurt my foot. Literally no idea where it came from, niggling me yesterday and literally limping today, surely I'm too young for things like gout :p

Associate
That's good to know, might be visiting Sarajevo myself in the summer :D
If you do avoid fitness universe at the importante center. I was testing deadlift 1rm, and they don't have the soft plates for deadlifts or a platform. I pulled 260 for 1 rep, tried to lower it down as lightly as I could.

Went to train the next day as I've switched to phul and I've been banned from the gym because of making too much noise. Great

Soldato
Ive got the bug again:- I started light training before Xmas and I've been doing 5x5 for about 5 weeks. I'm 44 6ft1 84kg and a bit of bf..
I used to weightlift about 8 years ago on and off for many years... (mainly split routines) I'm making decent gains - prob coz of muscle memory and starting afresh....

I was reading I need around 3300 calories to gain muscle with about 289g protein.... This sounds a lot and I'm worried about getting fatter.

I am trying to eat better, but don't want to kill myself eating too strict...
This is my current meals I usually have - How does it sound; is it close to my calorie and protein targets?

Large porridge with honey, blueberries and Goji Berries made with skimmed milk and 1/2 scoop protein powder

Handful of nuts and some fruit

2 chicken white buns with salad

Banana

Protein Shake with skimmed milk

Dinner - large platefuls:- e,g steak and veg with fries or mash / chicken, potato, vegs and gravy / Spag Bol / Sweet Chilli Chicken & White Rice / Black Bean Chicken & White Rice

Protein Shake

Skyr Yoghurt (1/3rd) with berries and grapes and 1/2 scoop protein powder

Thanks for your reply....

SpLuFF

Is this the wrong thread to ask about diet and weightlifting?

Soldato
Nope it's the right thread, just gotta wait for one of the knowledgables to respond.

With regards to your diet, I would say ramp it up slowly. 3.3kcal at 84kg BW and 6ft sounds high to me unless that's a lot of lean mass you are carrying.

I am 5'7" 84kg and only need 2.4-2.5k to gain mass.

Soldato
cheers syla5 - maybe I miscalculated?

This is what I calculated

84kg / 185lb weight
37lbs body fat
Fat Free Mass = 148

BMR = 1846.5 calories (no activity)

BMR x 1.55 for moderate exercise 3-5 days per week (60-70% MHR for 30-60 minutes/session)

1846 * 1.55 = 2861 calories (daily with activity)

Calory Surplus to gain muscle = 2861 + 450 = 3311

Protein = 35% X 3311 = 1158 calories / 4 = 289g per day
Carbs = 45% X 3311 = 1490 calories / 4 = 372g per day
Fat = 20% X 3311 = 662 calories / 9 = 73g

Is this correct? Does the meals I'm eating fit with this?

Cheers

Soldato
The calculator you are using provides the same results for me, and I am not 20% BF and also 1.55 is a high multiple depending on day job.

How was your BF measured?

Start lower for sure. Start at maintance and add 200 cals after the first 4 weeks if you haven't gained any lean mass. No point going full bore and just getting fat.

Soldato
I used photos to roughly estimate bf... I don't wanna train and not gain; I rather put a little weight on.... 1846 seems too low

How does my meals look for a rough amount of calories / protein / carb / fat ?

Soldato
1850 is to low, but I never suggested that. This is your BMR, that amount of cals you would burn laying in bed. Your activity multiple of 1.55 however is high imo. Again this will depend on your job, but if you don't have an active on your feet all day job, and you aren't training every day then 1.55 is high. We over estimate our activity levels.

Even using your BF guestimate of 20%, with a moderate activity calc of 1.25, only brings you out to 2275 to maintain. To bulk you don't need to go crazy with the cals, anything extra that doesn't go towards building muscle will mainly just to towards building fat.

So with this in mind, start with a lower excess of maybe 10-15% over your maintenance amount and see how quickly you gain weight on that. So around 2650, which is far lower then your 3300.

You will still make progress during these relatively newbie periods. Expect to add around 0.5-1lb (very maxium) of lean body mass per month. Its pretty much an expected standard that naturally the amount of lean mass you can put on is around 6-8lb of muscle per year.

Also don't use scales so much to monitor progress. It is entirely possible to lose fat and build muscle especially during these newbie periods again. Which again reinforces the need to more accurately measure your BF%, which is hard to do, given that pretty much every method has a variance of 10%-30% except for hydro static measuring.

Soldato
Cheers Syla5 so around 2650 I will aim for and sounds more realistic to over 3k.... My weight is staying very constant over the past 1.5 month - Im just monitoring it for the 5x5 app.... Since Xmas Ive gone down from size 36 to 33 which is good... but still have some excess...

Does my meal list look about right for 2650 calories? Or should I add more or less food?

Cheers

Soldato
The diet plan doesn't look too bad, but just make sure to not over do things like processed carbs etc, and with your dinners make sure your focus is on the protein source and don't overdo the carbs, and stay clean in terms of avoiding extra snacking etc.

Back
Top Bottom