*** The 2017 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
People tend to watch their favourite fitness youtuber's how to videos then try to copy them exactly and anything that slightly deviates from this is wrong. But with squats and deadlifts people have different bodies so are going to have different approaches to these lifts.

Soldato
So, trying to fix this damn squat form.
Sometimes, I feel I'm getting worse haha

Watching it myself, looks like I'm leaning forwards..... Dunno if I should be pushing my bum back more?

Goblets, no shoes, trying to not go deep etc

Soldato
I'm not a master on form so other's will probably correct me. But it looks like your trying to go too low when you haven't got the mobility at the bottom. Your legs get ta s certain point then your bending your back/leaning forward to get the bar slightly lower.

Soldato
I'm not a master on form so other's will probably correct me. But it looks like your trying to go too low when you haven't got the mobility at the bottom. Your legs get ta s certain point then your bending your back/leaning forward to get the bar slightly lower.
From what I see, I start the curving etc before I get to parallel :( So I could well believe I need to improve mobility.
Someone suggested stretching my hamstrings? as they could be short and affecting me.
I'm on the verge of finding someone to be there, the videos can only go so far, I might have to pay somebody haha

Soldato
From what I see, I start the curving etc before I get to parallel :( So I could well believe I need to improve mobility.
Someone suggested stretching my hamstrings? as they could be short and affecting me.
I'm on the verge of finding someone to be there, the videos can only go so far, I might have to pay somebody haha
This right here is paralysis by analysis.

Sure, there's a little work to be done. There is for all of us. I've been at it for 8 years and I'm still learning. Put some more weight on and just keep at it. Your body will adapt and you'll begin to find the groove that suits you. For the record, empty bar lifts are pointless for assessing form. My form doesn't settle until I have some weight on.

Associate

RDLs worked wonders for my tight hammys.

Soldato
This right here is paralysis by analysis.

Sure, there's a little work to be done. There is for all of us. I've been at it for 8 years and I'm still learning. Put some more weight on and just keep at it. Your body will adapt and you'll begin to find the groove that suits you. For the record, empty bar lifts are pointless for assessing form. My form doesn't settle until I have some weight on.
To add to this, if you pause the video at .29 while at parallel your back in straight. Not only did I forget my shoes for legs. I forgot my towel on a day which includes 10 rep squats and split squats. After this I'm going to look like a swamp monster. :p

Man of Honour
OP
So, trying to fix this damn squat form.
Sometimes, I feel I'm getting worse haha

Watching it myself, looks like I'm leaning forwards..... Dunno if I should be pushing my bum back more?

Goblets, no shoes, trying to not go deep etc

Nope - those are pretty good. :)

As long as you don't try and dip below parallel! :D

The sets with the bar looked fine, so build up from there: looking at your goblet squats suggests you are still leaning forward too much, so really concentrate on the big chest and a tight back. Do your warm-ups with a band around your knees to encourage your glute med to wake up and you will be fine. :)

Soldato
Cool. I've seen people say they think they Rom 2's are more durable and these won't last as long with the upper being more like a trainer than a traditional WL'ing shoe but they certainly look the part.

Soldato
Cool. I've seen people say they think they Rom 2's are more durable and these won't last as long with the upper being more like a trainer than a traditional WL'ing shoe but they certainly look the part.
That's probably true - but they look much cooler than the older ones! Nike need to stop releasing great colourways on Metcon and Rom's because I only have so much budget for stuff I don't need!!

Man of Honour
Well it has been a year of injury so far. Rib heals and for whatever reason before I start my gym program again my shoulder flares up. Can barely get to 50% of max without some seriously weird shoulder pain at the
acromioclavicular joint. Ice and anti inflammatories are barely helping. Booked to see the doctor tomorrow, will see what they say. It isn't even that painful, just tight and uncomfortable. Frustrating as hell.

At least everything other than chest and shoulders is still going well! Deadlifts are better than ever.

That's probably true - but they look much cooler than the older ones! Nike need to stop releasing great colourways on Metcon and Rom's because I only have so much budget for stuff I don't need!!

I love my metcons, a great shoe for gym training. Still have my original pair.

Man of Honour
Well, being booked into physio and probably in need of a steroid injection into my shoulder (which lets be honest doesn't solve the problem long term). Funnily enough she actually told me to exercise it (although maybe not with as much weight as I have in my mind :) ). I was right though, it is the AC joint. Weird that it suddenly flared up after 6 weeks of rest! Icing it helps temporarily.

Soldato
Excuse the long post.

Having read through several threads over the past few days, whilst prepping my self to get in shape I thought I'd drop a post and get some more personal advice. Done some reading in to TDEE and BRM and past few days I've been tracking my calorie intake as well as I can using MyFitnessPal it recommends a goal 1990 calories for a more intensive weigh loss of 1kg pw or 2500 calories for 0.5kg which I'm assuming is a much more realistic target.

Currently in 21, 6ft 3" and weigh 111 with a 34" waist my legs are quite powerful so a lot of my weigh is below the belt but I do hold a tummy which I want gone. At this current time I'm not setting weight goals until I can force myself into a workout and eating routine then I can see what I will have lost in a few week period and set myself a realistic goal as right now I don't know what would be realistic in what timescale.

Spent my evenings after work this week finding gyms in my area and seeing which one is best. Luckily my daytime job has a Bannatynes on the same estate which has a pool. I'll be going in today to sign up.

My biggest issue is lack of time I know there's always time for exercise and I will be making time. I'm perfectly fine with early mornings and I fully intend to get to the gym at 6am weekdays (opening time) issue is I start work at 7am so I can only squeeze shy of an hour in. Tuesday Wednesday and Thursdays are no gos for gym after work as I have both jobs to work and won't be home until 9pm. Weekends (I work weekends as well but different town to where the gym is.) I will likely not gym at all/if it's nice I will take the bike or or just some sit-ups/push ups at home. Mondays and Fridays I finish at 2 so can get longer exercise times in after work on those days.

The plan I've made for myself is 6am gym 30-40 in the gym working the bike and rowing machine then the rest of my hour swim.

Weight training is completely foreign to me, I'd like to use Monday and Friday afternoons to weight train but would have no idea where to start.

This post is getting a bit long winded now so I'll wait for training advice then move onto diet and calorie intake.

(If you guys think it'd be easier to make my own thread I shall do so)

Last edited:
Soldato
If I've not got a lot of time for the gym, I'll get my squats done.
So, like I've been doing, learn to squat :)
Aim for the lower weight loss target I'd say, because if you make that target it'll mentally prepare you for the bigger target. Though I'd think that's a big target.

Back
Top Bottom