*** The 2017 Gym Rats Thread ***

Associate
Ah yes the new year new me crew. For me it has not been too bad yet but then I have been going late at night.

I do like some of the views though but they could be regulars as I change days and times all the time. So one week could be mon wed sat next could be Tuesday Thursday sat

Soldato
Especially the groups of 'insta' girls - I really wish they would get out the way.

OMG Insta Girls, we wont go there, i have quite a few of them at mine, its actually hilarious when they pose for photos, there is one PT there who takes a lot of photos for her blog which i have no issues with but the others are jokes!

Secured a date with a 19 year old January resolutioner / Insta Girl, no complaints about welcoming them to the gym. She followed me on Instagram, I followed back, started chatting - meeting tonight for a film and beer pong at mine ;) At 30 the age gap might be too much to be anything serious, but she's very easy on the eye.

Can post pics on FB Gym Rats upon request.

Associate
Guys, I'd like some opinions please. I'm 34 and have been lifting since 18. I'm embarrased to admit that I have always maintained a similar routine.

1) Shoulders 2) Legs 3) Chest 4) Back 5) Arms

I know a specific arms day is highly debated, but I finish work early on a Friday and love this session as a means to top up growth on arms, its like a treat before a weekend of rest.

Now - for the past 2 years I've been in and out of hospital with a slipped disc, with another on its way out too. As a result I can no longer commit to compounds at the risk of making things worse. My routine has adapted to try and replace compounds as best as possible. Please dont discuss this, as am not asking for medical advice and am cleared to exercise by my consultant providing I don't get carried away.

I'm starting at a new gym this Friday and am planning on making changes to routine, which makes me anxious but hope I may see some benefit.

So in short - what new routine can I try? If possible I would like to do Mon-Fri, with Sat and Sun as my rest days. I see people doing push, pull, rest but how on earth can you get such development in just one session, presumably this routine is compound heavy.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Guys, I'd like some opinions please. I'm 34 and have been lifting since 18. I'm embarrased to admit that I have always maintained a similar routine.

1) Shoulders 2) Legs 3) Chest 4) Back 5) Arms

I know a specific arms day is highly debated, but I finish work early on a Friday and love this session as a means to top up growth on arms, its like a treat before a weekend of rest.

Now - for the past 2 years I've been in and out of hospital with a slipped disc, with another on its way out too. As a result I can no longer commit to compounds at the risk of making things worse. My routine has adapted to try and replace compounds as best as possible. Please dont discuss this, as am not asking for medical advice and am cleared to exercise by my consultant providing I don't get carried away.

I'm starting at a new gym this Friday and am planning on making changes to routine, which makes me anxious but hope I may see some benefit.

So in short - what new routine can I try? If possible I would like to do Mon-Fri, with Sat and Sun as my rest days. I see people doing push, pull, rest but how on earth can you get such development in just one session, presumably this routine is compound heavy.

So you don't want us to discuss your approach to your injury, but how to train with your injury?

Right. ;)

Go see a sports physio. And whilst you're waiting, just do machine isolations so avoid putting any stress on your back. :)

In all seriousness, a coach I once had herniated two discs in his back. His physio wasn't sympathetic and told him to get back in the gym and lift properly. Because - weirdly - having a strong, stable back is pretty important. :)

Good luck with whatever happens!

Associate
Secured a date with a 19 year old January resolutioner / Insta Girl, no complaints about welcoming them to the gym. She followed me on Instagram, I followed back, started chatting - meeting tonight for a film and beer pong at mine ;) At 30 the age gap might be too much to be anything serious, but she's very easy on the eye.

Can post pics on FB Gym Rats upon request.

Wait theres a FB Group about the OCUK Group?

Tea Drinker
Don
How is everyone coping with 'new year new me' gym goers??

Most of mine is PT or crossfit drop in, however boxing has been quite busy probably twice as many than December but the guy that takes it goes twice as hard and many drop out.

Plus as FF ghetto power rack at home just need to grit the decking before I use it :p

Associate
So you don't want us to discuss your approach to your injury, but how to train with your injury?

Right. ;)

Go see a sports physio. And whilst you're waiting, just do machine isolations so avoid putting any stress on your back. :)

In all seriousness, a coach I once had herniated two discs in his back. His physio wasn't sympathetic and told him to get back in the gym and lift properly. Because - weirdly - having a strong, stable back is pretty important. :)

Good luck with whatever happens!

Nortripyline, Gabepentin and Tramadol :D

Seriously though, my form is the best its ever been, because it has to be. Trying to figure out how to strengthen my core without making my discs worse. Surgeon continues to reccomend pilates :o

Already had a dysectomy to release some nerves - which made it worse. Surgery wise its a double fusion, but have asked for 4 months to see if I can improve it myself with pilates and moderate exercise.

Anyway, if anything, please please let this be a warning to my fellow lifters. I wish I could start all over again knowing what I know now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Challenge laid down - put my Manlet 75kg on the bar and managed 41 squats in 5 minutes. Was awful but interesting

After weighing in at 101kg this morning i feel this challenge would be terrible for me considering I've only been lifting again steadily for the last few months. Might give it a go for the lolz though.

How is everyone coping with 'new year new me' gym goers??

I've noticed the number of douchebags in 3 or more have increased massively!

My mates been coming over to my garage gym and he's not that bad i guess??:o:D

Got to a minute and sixteen reps of 90kg. And then I bottled it. :( :D

Dude! You've got loads more in you. :cool:

The joys of having my own gym. None of that to deal with! :D

Bloody cold though :(

Tell me about it, the bar is cold as balls for a good 10 sets! My current TP has been wearing gloves though... :mad: He'll be converted in time.

Man of Honour
OP
Nortripyline, Gabepentin and Tramadol :D

Seriously though, my form is the best its ever been, because it has to be. Trying to figure out how to strengthen my core without making my discs worse. Surgeon continues to reccomend pilates :o

Already had a dysectomy to release some nerves - which made it worse. Surgery wise its a double fusion, but have asked for 4 months to see if I can improve it myself with pilates and moderate exercise.

Anyway, if anything, please please let this be a warning to my fellow lifters. I wish I could start all over again knowing what I know now.

Have you seen a proper sports physio? I.e. a physio that is attached to a football/rugby/rowing team?

Associate
Can people state if they're trying to join the group please. I saw yours MrKambo.

Yeah i had a browse through the group earlier, seems like its the right place for me to hang out ;)

Ugh is there anything worse than hamstring mega-DOMS :(

Glutes, Hams and Calve DOMS, gotta stop doing leg day on during the week and stick to doing it on Fridays, i couldn't for the life of me get any work done!

Soldato
Ugh is there anything worse than hamstring mega-DOMS :(

I think I must have a weakness there after a proper good leg day my hamstrings are sore for 3 or 4 days while my quads are fine. What is it with skinny kids and 'curling' dumbells. There are a few at my gym who try to curl the 15s and up and it's all back and swinging from the first rep. Then there is me with my 10s making sure I get a proper range and squeeze.

Back
Top Bottom