The 3 best players in the world... your thoughts?

Don
No. Not at all. Thats fairly obtuse.

What im saying is that being a great player will obviously have more of an impact if you are winning titles and playing in CL finals with other great players than it will if you are a great player in a lesser side challenging for CL qualification etc.

So you're judging a players individual ability, based on the performance of the team he's playing in?

Obviously if you're playing in a better side, you'll get more recognition but that doesn't make you a better player than if you were playing in a poorer side.

Soldato
So you're judging a players individual ability, based on the performance of the team he's playing in?

Obviously if you're playing in a better side, you'll get more recognition but that doesn't make you a better player than if you were playing in a poorer side.

Yes but you have to step up to be judged at the highest level surely?

One of my fav player was Le Tissier but would he have performed in the CL? I suspect yes but we will never know. For all his spectacular goals he can never be judged as more than a PL player.

Fabregas looks like he is stepping up his game already at Barca. To use a very perocial example for myself Ashley Young looks a better player now he is with us than he did at Villa.

Silva and Kun are clearly quality but they havent stepped "up" yet in terms of playing for a top top club.

Again im not saying this to have a go at City - honest!!

Don
Who are City going to play in the CL that are better than what Silva and Aguero have already proven themselves against? They've both shown they were excellent players in La Liga against the likes of Barca and Real, and in Silva's case, he's proven himself against the biggest sides in the EPL too.

Had you used somebody like Le Tissier as your example then fair enough but I don't see how what you've said applies to the likes of Aguero or Silva.

Soldato
Had you used somebody like Le Tissier as your example then fair enough but I don't see how what you've said applies to the likes of Aguero or Silva.

I see what you mean TBH. I just dont see City as they stand right now as being a step up from where these players came from. They havent "taken it to the next level" yet. They will, of course, because they are quality players and City are on the up and up.

Soldato
Didn't want to start a new thread on this but Aguero v Suarez? Which one is better?

Just as a foot note this question was posed on the Redcafe not so long ago and the overwhelming response seemed to be that Aguero is on another level to Suarez

Soldato
Didn't want to start a new thread on this but Aguero v Suarez? Which one is better?

Just as a foot note this question was posed on the Redcafe not so long ago and the overwhelming response seemed to be that Aguero is on another level to Suarez

As a Utd fan i have to admit both are quality but i think Suarez has already missed a lot of chances this season. I think Aguero has the potential to be on a different planet.

Soldato
What criteria are we basing the top three players on ??

Fabregas has been turd for the best part of 18-24 months, FACT. So best in the world, nowhere near. Unless he discovers/rediscovers some exponentially world beating form in the next month or so, he doesn't deserve to be in the top three.

If your going off form then Suarez has had a handful of better games than Fabregas since January. Does he deserve to be in there as top three material ?

Top three for me (ad by a very good distance as well)

Xavi - The absolute master of ball retention from box to box, short passes and maintaining possession. He can build play up on the edge of Barca's box, be involved in 10-20 short passes right upto the edge of the opponents box and then play the killer ball for the goal.

Messi - Benefactor of Xavi/Iniesta's intelligent play. In his own right though can pick the ball up deep and beat 4 or 5 players before scoring or creating a goal. There is a world of difference between beating one defender and beating three - four on a very regular basis.

Ronaldo - Pace, Skill, Dribbling, Power, Free Kicks, If you cut off both legs he will score with his head. Evryone throwing the likes of Aguero, Silva, Suarez in, have a look at this lad and be honest if you think they are in the same league, nowhere near

Soldato
What criteria are we basing the top three players on ??

Fabregas has been turd for the best part of 18-24 months, FACT. So best in the world, nowhere near. Unless he discovers/rediscovers some exponentially world beating form in the next month or so, he doesn't deserve to be in the top three.

Top three for me (ad by a very good distance as well)

Xavi - The absolute master of ball retention from box to box, short passes and maintaining possession. He can build play up on the edge of Barca's box, be involved in 10-20 short passes right upto the edge of the opponents box and then play the killer ball for the goal.

Fabregas has very impressive ball retention in a side that keep the ball.

Xavi is the "master of ball retention" in the confines of a side who dont lose posession when he plays his "10-20 short passes".

Don

Xavi is the "master of ball retention" in the confines of a side who dont lose posession when he plays his "10-20 short passes".

Fabregas has/will directly create and score far more goals though.

This is what makes these sorts of threads so difficult; even players that play similar positions are so different. Tom asked the Aguero/Suarez question but like Xavi/Fabregas, they may appear to play similar positions but in actual fact the roles they perform are quite different. How can you compare the 2?

Soldato
Fabregas has/will directly create and score far more goals though.

This is what makes these sorts of threads so difficult; even players that play similar positions are so different. Tom asked the Aguero/Suarez question but like Xavi/Fabregas, they may appear to play similar positions but in actual fact the roles they perform are quite different. How can you compare the 2?

Thats why we can create a huge thread arguing over the same thing!! :D

Personally i think Suarez will be defined by who he plays up front with and i really dont think its The Karate Kids enemy.

Soldato

Or look at another way, Barcelona would not have as much possession if it wasn't for Xavi

Back
Top Bottom