The Acer ONE Thread

Soldato
Had my Aspire one since Friday and already it's faulty; got a one pixel thick horizontal line running across the screen. Will contact Acer tomorrow, but I've been reading quite a few horror stories about people contacting Acer about similar issues and then being told to pay for repairs because the warranty doesn't cover "cracked screens". Has me a bit concerned, but I'll see what they say.

Associate
OP
Had my Aspire one since Friday and already it's faulty; got a one pixel thick horizontal line running across the screen. Will contact Acer tomorrow, but I've been reading quite a few horror stories about people contacting Acer about similar issues and then being told to pay for repairs because the warranty doesn't cover "cracked screens". Has me a bit concerned, but I'll see what they say.

If it developed a fault that quickly then you can deal with the retailer rather than going to Acer.

Soldato
True, I may well try that. Only problem I can see is that the supermarket I bought it from has been selling them off cheap lately, so it's unlikely they'll have any replacements available.

Associate
I've just bought an Acer Aspire One A110, 512 Ram, 8Gb SSD, Linux Linspire...

Is the fan supposed to whine on these ? Cause I'm not sure if its a fault with mine if the fan noise is supposed to be like this.

Last edited:

daz

daz

Soldato
I'm torn between the very cheap 8GB SSD/512MB ram or the 120GB HD/1GB RAM for £40 more... what's the battery life difference?

I would probably buy another battery because one of the main reasons I'm buying this is to keep me entertained on flights.

Permabanned
Just ordered the misses the white one of these

Win XP
1GB RAM
160GB HDD

Ended up being 140 thanks to a double order with a nice discount code!

Soldato
How much did you pay for the 6600mah battery dude?

I'm torn between getting a larger 6 cell battery or getting 2 more 2200mah 3 cell ones.

A 6600MAh battery will last 3 times as long as a 2200MAh, maybe even longer as there is less current draw from each cell. :)

6600Mah would have to be 9 cell tho, not 6 cell, as the 18650 cells they use are 2200Mah each.

Permabanned
A bit of advice please:

In the misses new Acer One, it says in system that there is 1.48GB RAM.... yet we purchased it assuming there was only 1GB.... does this mean we got lucky with the extra .5GB or is this just a system error/it is getting that number from some other source?

Oh and to add its a quality little bit of kit, didnt realise how good they would be tbh - really impressed.

Soldato
It means you've bought one with a 1gb upgrade. Either it's refurbished after someone has done it themselves, or they've started selling them with 1.5gb in and i've missed it.

Either way, it's not an error. Enjoy it :)

Associate
OP
Time for some thread revival!
I've just installed the Ubuntu Netbook Edition (10.04) on my old A110, and it runs very nicely. Seems to work fine with all the hardware, and really it seems much happier with this than it ever did with XP.

Associate
got the 160 gig one for my wife, put 2 gig of ram in it and put windows 7 ultimate on it via a flash drive...works a treat. Only problem is the battery life..2 hours max....it even playes half life 1 lol.

Back
Top Bottom