The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

Caporegime
The rekord triger on the HW97 feels very good, tbh it feels like something from a precision rimfire/full bore rifle, nice length of pull and a very crisp break. I actually have more experience with firearms/shotguns than air weapons.

Soldato
Yeah it's pretty much the trigger all others are compared to. Many say the CD trigger on the TX is as good as the Record, but that it can be tricky getting it set up.

The one thing I do prefer on the CD trigger is the set back trigger.

GJM

GJM

Associate
Im having a bit of a dilema at the moment. Always shot for target shooting and hunting, living on a farm. Rabbit at 30-40 yards.

My first 'proper' air rifle is my current AA S200, which i'm struggling to make full use of.
Although supreamly accurate rested putting pellet on pellet at 25-30 yards I cant make it perform in the field.
Now i'm 100% sure thats down to me, but at the end of the day the gun needs to suit you right. I'm struggling to get a proper feel of handling the gun, always unforfortable, its short, one stage trigger, and i think i mistakenly took the advice of the vocal minority who shout that .77 is the new .22 for small game. Unfortunatly i'm not so sure, I can line up the perfect shot in perfect conditions, only for Mr Rabbit to cartwheel 3 times and bolt.

But im not sure which direction to go. Do i trade it in for a better pcp? I have handled several AA 410s and loved them. Not sure if I want to spend the money. And still have the possibility of simply not getting on with pcps.

Or get a nice springer, HW95 or TX200, more rugged for the field, simpler to use.

Soldato
Are you jerking the trigger? I know my poor shooting is usually down to a bad hold or flinching/jerking the trigger. What are the conditions like wind wise? I don't like shooting on windy days. Are you sitting/standing or rested?
I always found target shooting to lack some of the tension associated with taking live game - in the moment it's easy to make a minor mistake.

True .177 has the flatter trajectory, and .177 .20 .22 all have the required energy to get the job done, some feel that the smaller .177, whilst it has the penetration, lacks the 'shock' of the other two for hunting. That said, put any of those through mr rabbits brain and it's lights out.
Are the bunnies running away, or are they simply not 'just dropping' but flipping and jerking etc - likely autonomic response.

Just some thoughts. As far as most of us are concerned, today's air rifles are more accurate that we will ever be.
When did you last clean the barrel? How many tins of pellets have you put through it? Are you shooting through the 'sweet spot' of the charge, where there's the least deviation in pellet feet per second?
Haha, that all sounds a bit much when all you should have to do is 'point and shoot' lol

Associate
Im having a bit of a dilema at the moment. Always shot for target shooting and hunting, living on a farm. Rabbit at 30-40 yards.

My first 'proper' air rifle is my current AA S200, which i'm struggling to make full use of.
Although supreamly accurate rested putting pellet on pellet at 25-30 yards I cant make it perform in the field.
Now i'm 100% sure thats down to me, but at the end of the day the gun needs to suit you right. I'm struggling to get a proper feel of handling the gun, always unforfortable, its short, one stage trigger, and i think i mistakenly took the advice of the vocal minority who shout that .77 is the new .22 for small game. Unfortunatly i'm not so sure, I can line up the perfect shot in perfect conditions, only for Mr Rabbit to cartwheel 3 times and bolt.

But im not sure which direction to go. Do i trade it in for a better pcp? I have handled several AA 410s and loved them. Not sure if I want to spend the money. And still have the possibility of simply not getting on with pcps.

Or get a nice springer, HW95 or TX200, more rugged for the field, simpler to use.

I have an S410. A .22 and currently a .177 carbine. I'd def recommend them. Only small downside is the fact they're not regulated, but if you stick to the sweet spot of the fill it's as accurate as any other rifles out there. There is no 'best' rifle. It's up to you to put the hours in finding our it's sweet spot and which pellets your barrel likes.

Proof the S410 is spot on..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bzVs9p9Awc

Soldato
The s400 range are easy to regulate if you ever want to. There are more accurate rifles out there, but there a fair bit more money, the S400 is a great price vs performance rifle.

Associate
The s400 range are easy to regulate if you ever want to. There are more accurate rifles out there, but there a fair bit more money, the S400 is a great price vs performance rifle.

I am looking for something that is tried and tested in the field. What do you recommend rob as more accurate refile than 410 please? ta

Soldato
Nothing wrong with the S400 its plenty accurate enough out to 50 yards, it comes in at a great price which is why its so popular, very easy to strip and service as well.

I recommend you go to a decent shop and hold a few rifles see what you like the feel of.

If your only planning to shoot to 50 yards tops you dont need a rifle capable of shooting tight groups at 100 yards.

The newish S400 light series are nice rifles, not my taste as i prefer a heavy rifle.

BSA R10 would be a nice step up around £650 i think, large shot count, regulated, 10 shot mag.

Above that my choice would be the Theoben MFR around £900, again large shot count, regulated, and 12 shot in 22 and 17 shot in 177. Theoben are like the AK47 of the airgun world, no frills but do the job well and are about the easiest rifles to work on.

Above that Daystate Airwolf or Mk4, same sort of accuracy as the Theobens but nicer to shoot and better customer service by a long way.

Im about to trade my Airwolf in for a Steyr soon as its just not upto 100yards like the steyrs are.

If its your first rifle you really wont go wrong with an S400, just dont go thinking its the best, because its not, otherwise no one would pay 1k plus for Daystates and even more for Steyrs. My first PCP was an S400 classic in .22 and i had it for about a year before i wanted to move up, and got my Airwolf.

All of this is my opinion though, you really need to find the rifles you like.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks rob for explaining it so well. I want my first pcp to be as good as so to avoid hustle of changing it for something better shortly. I feel the springer tx200hc, which I am familiar with, can take down small pray even at 100 yards. It is this kind of pcp accuracy I am seeking. Can 410 or Theoben MFR do that?

BTW which animals are allowed to be shot? I know crows, pigeons, squirrels, mice and rats can be safely killed without a care at the back of own garden or shooting range.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks rob for explaining it so well. I want my first pcp to be as good as so to avoid hustle of changing it for something better shortly. I feel the springer tx200hc, which I am familiar with, can take down small pray even at 100 yards. It is this kind of pcp accuracy I am seeking. Can 410 or Theoben MFR do that?

BTW which animals are allowed to be shot? I know crows, pigeons, squirrels, mice and rats can be safely killed without a care at the back of own garden or shooting range.

Whats with all this talk about 100 yards on vermin ? With a uk 12ftlbs rifle the safe range for a humane kill is 35-45 yards . It does not matter if its a pcp/springer or any other type .

Soldato
http://www.co2air.de/wbb3/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=82386&061a0ab4

The new Walther break barrel airguns loo very interesting. Some new innovations like a floating piston that is free to rotate in the compression chamber. It is supposed to have very low recoil and a fast firing cycle.

Shame it looks so ugly, looks like a cheap Gamo rather than a £500 rifle :(.

They do a cheaper synthetic stock version.

Full range here.

http://airgunbuyer.com/Showproducts.asp?cat=Air Rifles&SubCat=Walther Air Rifles

Soldato

You can't 'just' shoot pigeons - you have to comply with the current General Licences that were linked to earlier.

Your absolute maximum hunting range should really be under 50 yards, but you would be better limiting that to 40 yards. There's no way you should ever even contemplate 100 yards on live quarry.

Last edited:
Soldato

Yeah seen them, but i'd prefer a wooden stocked version. They all look fugly though and all come with a plastic trigger blade.

It's about time the spring piston design was updated though as Weihrauch are still using 20-30 year old designs I believe. If this new tech is as good as the hype is suggesting then maybe it will prompt other manufacturers to take note and update their designs. People are saying there is very little recoil, but as the legal limit in Germany is 6ft/lb I'm wondering if that is what they're basing the low recoiul on and the 12ft/lb might not be as great.

I would love a nice Air Arms break barrel using this new system :).

Soldato
Even though a sub 12ft/lbs rifle has the energy at 100 yards to kill most smal quarry, due to wind and other factors you cant be certain of keeping your groups tight enough, 100 yards on a bench is hard enough and thats when you know the exact distance.
I agree with what others have said hunt upto a limit where you can 99% of the time hit a 10p size group.

A 410 will serve well for hunting alone. Its only for target or for other more luxury rifles you want something better, spend whats left on a nice scope as you can keep that on any rifle you buy in the future.

Soldato
Even though a sub 12ft/lbs rifle has the energy at 100 yards to kill most smal quarry, due to wind and other factors you cant be certain of keeping your groups tight enough, 100 yards on a bench is hard enough and thats when you know the exact distance.
I agree with what others have said hunt upto a limit where you can 99% of the time hit a 10p size group.

A 410 will serve well for hunting alone. Its only for target or for other more luxury rifles you want something better, spend whats left on a nice scope as you can keep that on any rifle you buy in the future.

Its nothing to do with accuracy at that range . Its down to power . A 12ftlbs rifle does NOT have enough left to safely despatch quarry at 100 yards

7172997433_66ee6bf9a6_b.jpg

7172997631_cbb014cc79_b.jpg

Top chart is power and bottom is poi

Back
Top Bottom