The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

Soldato
Never fired a Theoben but I'd say the Prosport from that list as it is gorgeous.

Tx200 is also a great choice and like the prosport it comes in tuned state from the factory. I liked the balance of the HW97 better which is why i opted for that. The TX200 HC is better balanced, but with such a short barrel it is quite loud.

Associate
Never fired a Theoben but I'd say the Prosport from that list as it is gorgeous.

Tx200 is also a great choice and like the prosport it comes in tuned state from the factory. I liked the balance of the HW97 better which is why i opted for that. The TX200 HC is better balanced, but with such a short barrel it is quite loud.

Only handled tx200hc. And would take this rifle hunting and target shooting anytime. You can put silencer on it. Very accurate and lots of fun.

Soldato
Mechnically there I'd say the prosport, but there are a few other things to consider...

- Use? If hunting then the TX200HC might be a worthy consideration
- Challenge? The Evo will be easier to learn since it's not a true springer, but a gas ram. That said, if you're going to learn to use a mechanical airrifle, might as well learn on a proper springer!
- Stock. Don't just think about the action, think about what you can get stock-wise as well, since it makes a massive difference to the handling. All of those have great manufacturer and after market stocks available.

Permabanned
Right, that's it, it's gonna have to be the prosport, I think it's gorgeous too, thanks for help guys, happy shooting.

Oh, just one other think, I take it this rifle will take a laser sight? would mounting it on the barrel be ok? just another reason why I really like the prosport as a under lever wont get in the way.

This review did it, beautiful weapon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX7YVxEAyMo

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh god choices, choices, had decided on getting a hw95 but after lots of youtube vids, reviews and advise from you guys I am now torn between the following..
Air arms TX200
Air arms prosport
Weihrauch HW97K
Theoben Evolution

Wich one of the above is best? I got 4 weeks to decide.
Thanks.

I'm clearly biased, as I own one of these in walnut.
It's a beautiful bit of kit.
However - you may find the trigger a bit marmitie. Either you'll love it or hate it, and it's not particularly intuitive to adjust (if you do get one, look for a trigger pdf that shows you how to do it before you start messing about). There are much better triggers out there for sure.
Gas Ram - in .177 it's can be a little 'snappy' - some don't like that. Like the Eliminator (I always wanted one) it is a bit hold sensitive. But so is any recoiling gun until you get to know it. Don't grip it, hold it.

I'd go for the Evo every time. But that's not to say the others are not good airguns. The certainly are.
My evo put pellets through the hole in a CD time after time after time at around 15-20m - that's bench rested/prone with little or no wind.

Soldato
I picked up a BSA (actually a rebranded Gamo) Hornet in .22 today. I spent the afternoon destroying an Argos catalogue at 7 metres :D

The shots were fairly consistent but I need to spend time finding a good shooting stance methinks.

Soldato
Springers are much more easy to maintain and carry in field. What if you going hunting for 3 hours? Then you need to carry your refill kit with pcp...

Oh do shut up :rolleyes:

Most pcps will give more shots/kills than you could ever hope to carry in one go.

Albo - I enjoy shooting both springers and pcps - springers force you to work on your shooting technique. Shooting purely pcp guns can lead to sloppy stance/hold :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I picked up a BSA (actually a rebranded Gamo) Hornet in .22 today. I spent the afternoon destroying an Argos catalogue at 7 metres :D

The shots were fairly consistent but I need to spend time finding a good shooting stance methinks.

you might find this useful.

Last edited:
Soldato
£500 budget will easy get you a second hand pcp and a new pump.

There is an FN19 for sale on the Airgun BBS for £200, comes with a scope as well.

Also a Superten for £330.

Permabanned
£500 budget will easy get you a second hand pcp and a new pump.

There is an FN19 for sale on the Airgun BBS for £200, comes with a scope as well.

Also a Superten for £330.

Right ok, now i'm ****** up, just spent a week researching springers as I thought that would be the best way to go with my budget which was £450 but can stretch to £500, the gun would have to be complete with a scope and at that budget the air arms pro sport fits in just nice and that is brand new.
I'll have to start all over and check out second hand pcp's but if I do go with a springer it will be the pro sport.
Thanks

Soldato
You should try both if you can. Some people prefer a springer, especially for plinking as they find a PCPs lifeless firing cycle a bit dull. If your main use will be hunting or HFT/FT then a PCP is a good choice, although you can still do well in HFT with a decent springer.

Soldato
you might find this useful.

I'll give it a try later, if the weather improves. Holding the gun like this, I have to put my off hand further up than the trigger as the rear end of the gun is very light!

Any recommendations for a cheap scope? I'm guessing that using the open sights adds another layer of inconsistency? Although earlier today I was having better groups than yesterday and hitting bottles and cans every time at less than 10 metres :)

Back
Top Bottom