The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

Associate
[DOD]Asprilla;22255517 said:
Right, popped into my local gun and tackle shop yesterday and had a chat about what I needed and came away with a Stoeger X20 Suppressor.

Yes, it's a cheap Chinese made gun, but from what I've read and watched in terms of reviews it's the best of the bunch and has surprised a few folks. Had a few shots this evening and given I'm rusty my groups weren't great, but since the shop had dialled in the sights they went where they were aimed when I pulled the trigger.

Now, where are the squirrels.....

That doesn't look cheap, I have a 20 quid SMK lying around somewhere, now that is cheap.

Soldato
Hey guys just got one of these and it's awesome, very accurate for a pistol,

http://www.drapers-airguns.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_3&products_id=648

One of these ordered too...

http://www.drapers-airguns.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34_61&products_id=1204

Looks awesome with a scope on, I'm in shooting heaven.

Nice choice, you shouldn't be disappointed with the HW97, they are awesome guns :).

I'm on the lookout for a Webley Sidewinder compact or a Longbow with walnut stock, if anyone knows of one for sale please let me know. I've put a post in the wanted section on the airgun BBS but I never have any luck with that.

Permabanned
Soldato
I should have clarified that it has to be a Birmingham made model. Sadly Webley sold up and manufacturing has now moved to Turkey and as such the guns are now nowhere near the same level of quality they once were.

I also much prefer the old Webley Venom designed stock.

Thanks though :).

BTW this is the my old one which I sold.

IMG_0418r.jpg

This is a Longbow, but it has been tuned by Venom and has delrin bearing on the piston and a barrel shroud. I will be very lucky to find one of these now. I might have to make do with the standard Longbow and get it tuned myself.

Soldato
Just finished a full tin of pellets through my HW45 and thought I would chrono it to see how it had settled down. I only fired five shots through the chrono as its a PITA keep taping it up every time, but it seems pretty consistent.

DSC_3492.jpg

I've heard a few people say that the HW45 is under powered and doesn't produce the 'just under the legal limit' that the makers claim. This one certainly does and my last one did. I will have to keep my eye on it to make sure it doesnt go over as it probably needs another 500 pellets untill its fully bedded in.

Permabanned
Just finished a full tin of pellets through my HW45 and thought I would chrono it to see how it had settled down. I only fired five shots through the chrono as its a PITA keep taping it up every time, but it seems pretty consistent.

DSC_3492.jpg

I've heard a few people say that the HW45 is under powered and doesn't produce the 'just under the legal limit' that the makers claim. This one certainly does and my last one did. I will have to keep my eye on it to make sure it doesnt go over as it probably needs another 500 pellets untill its fully bedded in.

One of those guns is deffo on my buy list.

Associate
Do air pistols that are modelled on semi-automatics actually have cycling slides like the real thing?

Some do; the slide cycles and cocks the hammer so they are effectively semi-auto, others, like the CP88 have a rotary magazine and the trigger pull cocks and fires the action, like a double action revolver.

Some of the newer models have the CO² cartridge and the magazine in one, those really do cycle and handle like a semi automatic pistol, not sure how much you get form a cylinder on those though, but given how cheap the CO² is, I suppose it doesn't really matter.

Also, because they are Air pistols, not imitation firearms, they don't fall under the VCRA so they don't have to be brightly coloured and you don't need to be a member of an airsoft club.

Associate
Only just found this thread! Pleased there's one on this topic!!!

I've just had a 1949 BSA .177 Cadet Major repaired for me by a good friend from work.

Put a few pellets through it on Thursday night. The accuracy was no match for his Theoben .22 Rapid MFR, but the most important thing to me is that this BSA belonged to my Grandfather who sadly i didn't get a chance to grow up with. I'm sure he'd be chuffed to know it's in good working order once again!

Cheers

Soldato
DSC_3574.jpg

DSC_3612.jpg

DSC_3517.jpg

My current project. I was making it as a prototype to then make a proper one in Walnut, but this has taken far too long so this will have to be the real one. Just for fun really as a break from making grips.

Still got lots of shaping to do and also need to get hold of a small rubber recoil pad for it.

Soldato
Yeah it's going to be shaped but I need to acquire or make some sort of recoil pad before I can shape it.

I've had to cut a fair bit off the bottom of the stock as there was a big loose knot in the wood that I didn't see until I removed the varnish (It was part of a door frame before I got hold of it :D). So now a standard sized recoil pad will be too large, I need to get something from a small rifle.

Or the other option is to just shape the end and not have a recoil pad, like a lot of custom pistol stocks seem to do.

Back
Top Bottom