The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

Associate
Hey guys, I was going to post this up somewhere but figured you would probs know best.

My street has been having a few rat issues recently. I have seen a couple in my back garden a few times in the last week and they seem to be coming from under next doors shed. Is it legal to get a air pistol and shoot them in my own garden? If so would anybody know a link to a small cheap pistol that would do the trick?

ps, yes I could go down the poison route but I have a duck that I would need to keep in her pen all the time then until it was gone and to be honest this way sounds more fun. :)

Aod

Aod

Soldato
Hey guys, I was going to post this up somewhere but figured you would probs know best.

My street has been having a few rat issues recently. I have seen a couple in my back garden a few times in the last week and they seem to be coming from under next doors shed. Is it legal to get a air pistol and shoot them in my own garden? If so would anybody know a link to a small cheap pistol that would do the trick?

ps, yes I could go down the poison route but I have a duck that I would need to keep in her pen all the time then until it was gone and to be honest this way sounds more fun. :)

As far as I'm aware, that would be legal as long as you're far away enough from the road/pavement, which, if it's in your back garden, you probably are.

Commissario
Hey guys just got one of these and it's awesome, very accurate for a pistol,

http://www.drapers-airguns.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_3&products_id=648
The Smith is a nice pistol, fun to use but not for someone with a small hand as they're quite large, I've got two of then with the multiple barrel options but normally have the middle length one installed. They're also very easy to reload quickly in a competition as the magazine drops out very nicely.

I'm amazed at how the prices have shot up though, I think I paid around £120 for one of mine and the other one was a raffle prize at a match!

A trick. When the gas is nearly empty, squeeze the trigger and hold it pulled, then press the hammer forward which will force the remains of the gas to vent. It's better for the gun than just pinging the canister out.

In the next few days I'll get some pictures of my air pistols, I've got a couple of Smiths and 1911s.

Associate
Bought this about 10 years ago, only fired it a few times.

cp88.JPG

Soldato
Looks nice, the 6" barrel version is supposed to be one of the most accurate Umarex co2 guns along with the 6" Smith and Wesson.

Got to say though, the grips on these always look a bit poor. Looks like they have been made from a bit of driftwood found on the beach.

DSC_3351.jpg

Looks much better with some English Walnut imo.

In the next few days I'll get some pictures of my air pistols, I've got a couple of Smiths and 1911s.

Has the finish on any of yours corroded or gone a bit blotchy? I have a black Beretta, that I have had from new and its been in its foam lined case all the time and wiped down after use. I noticed there is some corrosion on the barrel cover and a few dots of corrosion on the frame and the black finish looks a bit blotchy. It was a nasty surprise as I expected it to be perfect as it's been looked after.

Last edited:
Soldato
DSC_3656.jpg

I have decided to make a butt pad out of mahogany as I can't find a rubber one small enough. Also there is a 3mm or so piece of mahogany between the stock and the butt pad which I am going to stain dark to add some contrast and a dividing line.

Not 100% happy with the shape of it, if I make another I will go for a more traditional shape.

Last edited:
Commissario
I've been away for a few days and I had a chance to have a shoot of an Air Arms S400F in .177 which is the current 'Superlight' version of that superb rifle. I managed to shoot a perfect 50/50 on the range which I was naturally pleased with. It was only 20m distance but it was really nice to shoot, I used to own an S410 carbine in .22 and this has made me want a new one.

The trouble is that I'd not be doing any hunting, merely using it for a plink and at £600+ for the rifle and a half decent scope, it's a lot of cash to splash on a toy.

Soldato
WE Hi-cappa thats a bit broken - fires off a few rounds and then the leaks everywhere! I think i need to replace an O ring or 2.

What you need to do it take the magazine apart and put some silicone grease on the big o-ring that seals the bottom to the mag. It's a common problem and happens to my Hi-cappa and my brothers Beretta. I doubt you need a new 0-ring, but if you do it would be worth measuring it and then buying some from a hardware store or ebay, rather than buying specific ones for massively inflated price.

They are usually pretty simple to take apart. On mine the bottom was held in place by two pins, that just needed drifting out with a nail. Just try a bit of grease on the 0-ring and it should do the trick.

Last edited:

Aod

Aod

Soldato
Those WE Hi-Capa mags are direct clones of the Tokyo Marui mags and disassemble at the bottom with a single philips screw.

If it's leaking from the gun itself after a few shots, it's probably something in the gun though. Those WE-Tech guns are crazily unreliable.

Soldato
Did anyone here have one of the Brockock ACR's? I used to have the snub nose .38 they did, but handed it in when the ban came into force. Absolutely devestated now that I never applied for the FAC to keep it :(

Permabanned
Ok this gun may be a cheapo but i'm having great fun shredding targets with it, it's a little on the loud side but surprisingly accurate.

imgp0813j.jpg

By spankingtexan at 2012-07-24

It has a rifled barrel, fires both pellets and bb's but I only use pellets to take advantage of the rifling and I have heard continued use of bb's can damage the rifling, not sure if this is true though. Fantastic little gun, must pick up the P-25 for the blowback and 16 shot mag.

Last edited:
Soldato
Went to my local air rifle range last night. I wasn't sure what to expect but it was a friendly relaxed atmosphere, quite relaxing just firing pellets at things, the time just went by. Deffo going to go every week, hopefully I'll be able to hit something beyond 15yrds next time!

Associate
Did anyone here have one of the Brockock ACR's? I used to have the snub nose .38 they did, but handed it in when the ban came into force. Absolutely devestated now that I never applied for the FAC to keep it :(

You wouldn't have been able to keep it mate, blanket handgun ban. Only people allowed section 5 guns would be for humane dispatch, even then it tends to be low capacity pistols.

Back
Top Bottom