The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

Soldato
Dec31_001.jpg

Really like the finish on this thumbhole stock, but I don't think I'll ever like the way the gas bottle is plonked on the front with this type of weapon. IMO it ruins the appearance of the rifle. :(

Can't they somehow have a smaller bottle concealed in a hollowed front section?

Associate
Crosman 2240 custom

Eebo7.jpg.png

This is my Crooked Barn Crossman 2240 .22 C02

Spec is:

Blood wood grips

Sleeved and screwcut barrel (1/2" unf) to take silencer.

Crooked Barn alloy breach with extended bolt and dovetail mount

CB trigger job, very strong hammer spring.

JSR red dot sight.

Nice quality silencer... unsure of make but works a treat.

This is great fun to shoot.......mostly for plinking :)

Am hoping to pair this soon with a customised 2260 rifle.

Soldato
The adjustable parallax allows you to focus the scope on the target and help reduce accuracy errors caused by the eye not being in the exact same place each time.

There are some really good descriptions on line abut it and how it affects the accuracy.

I personally didn't bother with that, I just zero Nikko sterling scope up for 30-40 yards, then learned to calculate the pellet drop at different ranges, using the small dots on the Mil Dot Reticle cross-hairs to compensate higher or lower depending on the range to hit the target, with practice you soon pick it up.

When I use to field target shoot, some shooters would use white tape, or paint the elevation dial white, & work out distant 50 yards or so, then you just dialed in the distance for each shot.

Shayper: Found this link, explains it better. http://viriato.net/airgunning/bfta_setup_manual.pdf

Last edited:
Soldato

Very nice. I think I might pick one of these up at some point. Wouldn't mind a decent co2 powered gun for using inside.

Can I just ask you if them grips are flat on the back? I currently make Walnut grips for the CP88 and sell them on ebay, but they take a while to machine them so they fit the stepped grip. Its also really easy to mess it up, so i want to find a new, easier grip to make.

Associate
I personally didn't bother with that, I just zero Nikko sterling scope up for 30-40 yards, then learned to calculate the pellet drop at different ranges, using the small dots on the Mil Dot Reticle cross-hairs to compensate higher or lower depending on the range to hit the target, with practice you soon pick it up.

When I use to field target shoot, some shooters would use white tape, or paint the elevation dial white, & work out distant 50 yards or so, then you just dialed in the distance for each shot.

Shayper: Found this link, explains it better. http://viriato.net/airgunning/bfta_setup_manual.pdf

That's not what parallax error is though?
Page 16 (5.1) of that doc you linked to explains it and how focus can be used for range finding, however, if your head/eye isn't in exactly the same place for each shot, the position of your crosshairs on the target will be different.

Nothing to do with knowing the range and using mildots, it also affects the left/right aiming.

Description of parallax

and a nice flash page showing how it works:
http://www.arld1.com/parallax.html

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone else having hard time hitting accurately targets within 10 meters using air pistol on iron sights?

I am finding this quite a challenge. And I am admiring those that can hit foot long targets with good groupings at 50 meters.

Soldato
Sorry for this long list of questions but - What sort of grouping shape are you getting? Shotgun style spread, thin vertical line, thin diagonal from bottom left to top right etc etc? Are you attempting this outdoors where the wind can have an effect? What type of sights are fitted - 3 post, notch, optical etc? Is it spring or CO2 powered? Are you shooting one handed or with both hands? What stance are you using when zeroing, standing, sitting, prone etc?

The most common "mistake" with pistols is that, with such a short barrel, any slight pull of the trigger back and right (usually for 99% of right handers) will pull the shot off to the right side quite badly. Next is snatching the trigger (a quick pull and release) rather than a single straight front to back pull with the index finger tip which is then kept held fully back for a second after the shot. Finally the grip should be firm enough to hold the weapon on target but not a death grip :D, thats especially true of spring guns.

Associate
Sorry for this long list of questions but - What sort of grouping shape are you getting? Shotgun style spread, thin vertical line, thin diagonal from bottom left to top right etc etc? Are you attempting this outdoors where the wind can have an effect? What type of sights are fitted - 3 post, notch, optical etc? Is it spring or CO2 powered? Are you shooting one handed or with both hands? What stance are you using when zeroing, standing, sitting, prone etc?
Shotgun style spread from as little as under 10 meters.
Indoors.
Iron sights stock on 5 inch barrel hw 45 (spring).
One handed it worse than two handed.
Standing and sitting. When sitting grouping is better.

Honestly my first experience with pistol. Been shooting rifles all my life.

May be just practice...

Not gonna post a pic of targets as its a disgrace. Thanks for help ianh.

BTW anyone from here goes to shooting range such s Pets Farm http://www.airgunfarm.co.uk/?

Looking for shooting buddy.

Associate
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-20720203

This makes no sense to me! If a crackhead wants to get a gun they will, and probably something more lethal than an air rifle. Licensing won't prevent things like the case of Andrew Morton (tragic as it was). You could very simply drive a few miles south and buy one and bring it into Scotland. The gun wasn't the problem, it was the drugged up man holding that did the damage.

Numpties will always find creative ways to behave like ********* to everybody else. If its not airguns, it will be slingshots, ban those too and they will just throw rocks or bricks at children and pets. There are already ample laws in place to deal with people who misuse airguns and other such tools, not to mention laws against assault, murder, criminal damage etc. Rigorously enforcing the existing legislation against offenders would be a far more effective way of dealing with numpties than punishing law abiding airgun owners with a draconian licencing system.

Punish misuse, not ownership.

It will however make it more difficult and expensive for those wanting to enjoy the sport of target shooting or pastime of hunting, those who respect what an air rifle does and use in a safe and responsible way.

Iv'e been part of my local club for a few years now and it's full just like all of the other airgun clubs around me so how do they expect people to have a valid reason to own one if this goes ahead :confused:.

There are three ways we can fight this, see here:

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/media/key_issues.cfm/cid/5D1AF869-D20A-446E-9564AECD44780137

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petiti...-proposals-to-licence-air-weapons-in-scotland

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/32895

Last edited:
Associate
While we are on subject, does anybody know where I could sell my air rifle? I own AA S400 Carbine .22 Beech stock complete with Hawke Scope and Silencer. Bought it few years back and rarely use it, excellent rifle, so it's a waste to let it sit in a slip bag.

Pic:

airrifle.jpg

Soldato
Arek - From what I'm seeing on most forums the 45 needs quite a loose grip and is capable of getting 50p sized groupings at 10m and still able to hit a drinks can at 25-30m. If it's a brand new pistol the barrel will need some "breaking in" time first as the barrel leads up, usually a few hundred but sometimes upto a thousand pellets (in extreme cases).

As Pistols are 6fps try and make sure your not using a heavyweight pellet like a Bisley Magnum @ 21.9grain but a lightweight pellet around 10-15grain for .22's.

Soldato
If it's new it will also be dieseling quite badly for the first 500-1000 shots. It settles down after this but still does it if its not used for a while. I believe stripping it and relubing properly can sort it out if you don't want to run 2 tins through it first.

It is very hard to shoot and I find it a challenge, but that's what i love about it :). It's rewarding when you get a good result.

Wise Guy
Soldato
Arek, line up the sights, focus your eye on the front sight, put the target bullseye on top of it like an "apple on a fence post", the target and the rear sight will be blurry but your eye will naturally align everything. Now squeeze the trigger and pretend nothing will happen, don't anticipate anything to happen.

That's all there is to it.

Back
Top Bottom