The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

Soldato
The top is very easy to operate and I find it pretty comfortable. At 10m you can **** it half way for lower power and lower recoil.

The grips on the standard one are a little small for my hands, but the Black/Silver star with the anatomical grip are perfect. You might find the standard grips fine as a lot of people do like them better. I modded my standard one by stretching bike innertube over them and gluing it with superglue on the back. Looked awesome and gave a really nice comfortable grip.

Also a good thing about the HW45 is if you buy one for under £200 you will be able to sell if for what you bought it for years later. 20 year old ones are still regularly sold for £160! Which is good if you decide you don't like the recoil.

Apparently Scotland is planning to make all airguns licence only. Might not be long before it happens here too :(. I hope 'garden plinking' is classed as a good reason to keep mine if it does come about.

Caporegime
anyone know where i can get an original front sight(the metal cover)not the sight itself for a bsa supersport? its not rounded its more square the metal cover that protects the front sight? been down the usual routes and no luck

Soldato
Do Chambers not stock them?

Otherwise just keep checking ebay. I have seen all sorts of spares on there from old and new guns. Just looked now and theres a rear sight for sale, might be worth contacting that seller to see if he has the part you need.

Last edited:
Associate
Apparently Scotland is planning to make all airguns licence only. Might not be long before it happens here too :(. I hope 'garden plinking' is classed as a good reason to keep mine if it does come about.

Unfortunately that is exactly the type of acticity that the licensing is geared to stop. It's going to be club use or permissioned vermin control by the looks of things.

Soldato

if thats the case in the Uk then would it make sense to merge the Airgun License with the FAC, if so it could mean a FAC would be an option for a lot of us :)

Associate
if thats the case in the Uk then would it make sense to merge the Airgun License with the FAC, if so it could mean a FAC would be an option for a lot of us :)

Probably the biggest argument against airgun licensing is that if its priced to high or too involved then people will be just as well going for a FAC license and that will introduce more firearms into the UK.

Soldato
You would need approved land and written permission from the land owner, however if the airgun in question was a sub 12ft/lb one then even though you might need a license to get one (in future) it's use in the back garden shouldn't be any less possible surely?

It's quite easy to find rifle clubs you can join anyway so that would be reason enough - I'm now part of a rifle club and it's been the only place I've used my air rifles recently.

Soldato
dont you need police approved land to shoot on for a FAC? I doubt they would approve your garden.

a lot of us on here have land plus permissions (ie land that we have permission to shot on, have 80 acres myself) there are requirements that the Police need from you such as land that you said and police approved safe is another which can be pricey

Soldato
You would need approved land and written permission from the land owner, however if the airgun in question was a sub 12ft/lb one then even though you might need a license to get one (in future) it's use in the back garden shouldn't be any less possible surely?

I would have thought so. Aren't you still allowed to use a Brocock air cartridge pistol in your back garden, even though they have to be registered on an FAC?

I'd guess all air guns would go the same way i.e. be licensed, but used in the same places as currently allowed - private property, not less than 50ft from the centre of a highway etc.

Associate
Proposals for Licensing Air Weapons in Scotland said:
“Plinking”

27. The issue of air weapon owners shooting targets in, for example, back
gardens – so-called “plinking” – is a particularly difficult one for the Scottish
Government. This has been a common pastime for many shooters in
Scotland and a number of Panel members, and other correspondents, have
argued that it offers an “entry level” for young shooters who go on to take up
the sport on a regular and more organised basis.

28. While this may well be the case, the practice of target shooting in urban
or built up areas concerns Ministers, the media and the general public. Apart
from immediate public safety concerns, the visibility and ease of access to a
weapon in such an environment can lead to alarm or to misuse. While
Ministers are very aware of the history of such domestic and hobby shooting,
the Scottish Government has a wider responsibility for the safety and
reassurance of the public. The sight of guns in residential areas is no longer
acceptable.

29. Ministers therefore believe that the unrestricted practice of “plinking”
should come to an end. Shooting should only take place on land that is
suitable, provides a safe shooting environment and does not pose a risk to the
public, and ideally at licensed target shooting clubs, where new shooters can
learn the sport in a disciplined and supportive environment

The Consultation document for Scotland wants plinking banned, so if it is a trial run for the rest of the UK you better have a good reason for owning an airgun.

Soldato
If a plinkban came into force would plinkers be forced to hand in their rifles and pistols? Or would they be able to keep them as they were purchased pre-ban?

Associate
If a plinkban came into force would plinkers be forced to hand in their rifles and pistols? Or would they be able to keep them as they were purchased pre-ban?

Sell them before it comes into force or hand them in or find a reason to own them........ gun club being the easiest.

Soldato
Please spec me a good first air gun. Want it spring / barrel brake (not pre charge) so maintenacnce is minimal just like airarms tx200 of air rifles.

so far contenders are:

1. HW45
2. Webley Alecto
3. crossmann 1337 c

HW45 would be my first choice, superb pistol, have had three of them, one .22 & two Harper custom specials, one in .20 & other .25.

Also have had a Crossman 1377, even with the carbine stock fitted, it's far inferior to the HW45, fit the HW45 with the stock & it was superb,

Webley Alecto never had one, but it dosen't look a bad pistol.

Associate
HW45 would be my first choice, superb pistol, have had three of them, one .22 & two Harper custom specials, one in .20 & other .25.

Also have had a Crossman 1377, even with the carbine stock fitted, it's far inferior to the HW45, fit the HW45 with the stock & it was superb,

Webley Alecto never had one, but it dosen't look a bad pistol.

Am planning hw 45 in 177... Local shop got it in stock... Everyone is saying good things about them!

Soldato
Did Santa being anyone else some gun related gifts?

I got a Nikko Sterling 3-9x50 scope. It has a illuminated sights and adjustable parallax, but I don't really know what that's for. Also, a nice little bipod.

So my rifle went from this..
r087d0.jpg

To this!
b661q9.jpg

Its quite heavy now, I can't wait to actually fire it with the new scope, my club is closed over Christmas :p

Back
Top Bottom