The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

Permabanned
I'm really interested in an air rifle for target shooting :) what's a good starter rifle and scope combo? And is there anything I need to know if I'm going to be keeping it in london? Obviously I don't want anything that'll breach the law (I don't have an FAC). Also, my budget isn't that high. And weirdly, I shoot anything apart from pistols left handed.

Soldato
How much are you willing to spend? £150 can get you a cheap new rifle, 4x20 scope, pellets and a carry case which you'll need to take it anywhere. I got a Gamo Hornet for £99, there are SMK rifles around for this price too. Some people will say the quality of these rifles is bad but if you are just starting off, you don't want to spend many hundreds!

Second hand rifles are worth a look but there are an awful lot for sale on guntrader.co.uk and finding a good one might take time. That site is good for new rifles too as gun shops put stock on there. You don't need an FAC, just don't walk around pointing it at people and you'll be fine :p Although you should look up the laws on air rifles so you know what's what. Make sure there is a club near you that you can fire it or you have a big back garden otherwise there isn't much you can do with it.

Permabanned
Cheers mate :) yeah, I'd be looking at 150 tops, using my work pay.

Edit: if it's bolt action, is there any difference between right and left handed? I'm right handed but fire rifles, bows and other things like that left handed. The only things I fire right handed are pistols for some reason :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers mate :) yeah, I'd be looking at 150 tops, using my work pay.

Edit: if it's bolt action, is there any difference between right and left handed? I'm right handed but fire rifles, bows and other things like that left handed. The only things I fire right handed are pistols for some reason :D

I doubt you'll find a bolt action for the price, a break-barrel with a usual stock should be ambidextrous though, all you do it put the stock on your leg and pull the barrel down.

But on a bolt action or a rifle with a thumb hole grip, you would need it to be left or right handed.

Soldato
.177 is ideal for target shooting with it's virtually flat trajectory over 7-35yrds and is what all target shooters use. For your money it'll either be spring powered (either break-barrel or underlever) or CO2 which will be bolt action. I wouldn't bother with CO2 as it's extremely difficult to get any consistency when using CO2 without spending money and modifying the crap out of it (been there/done that).

For pellets I'd go with either JSB Exacts (they come in 3 minutely different sizes of .177 to match your barrel exactly for best accuracy) or domed Accupells.

For your budget I'd look at either a SMK, XS or QB (all chinese makes) break barrel if buying new or, if can find one, a Cometa or BSA lightning 2nd hand. SMK aren't amazing but will do the job.

Scopes again are limited by your budget but TBH as your not hunting any £20 3-9x40 or £5 4x20 off ebay will do to start with.

TBH I'd look at the 2nd hand sales on boards like www.airgunbbs.com as you'll get more for your money as well as being a very good source of information as well.

If you want to shoot in your back yard read up on the Air Rifle laws very carefully before you get a knock at the door from some very irate armed police after a neighbour tells them about the gun wielding maniac who lives next door!

My very varied history has most things from £100 to £1800 rifles - .22 CO2 AirMagnum 850, .22 Spring Cometa 400 .177 PCP Logun Solo, .177 PCP BSA S10 Mk3, .177 PCP Daystate Airwolf, .22 PCP S200/BSA Ultra Hybrid, .22 CO2 QB78. For scopes I've used everything from £20 off eBay chinese 4x20's to £300 MCT target scopes to £1000 digital night vision and everywhere inbetween.

Associate
The Nikko scope is a good bit of kit for the price, however bipods and springers don't generally go well together a bean bag being my prefered front rest. Try it out tho it may suit your style.

Associate
I got a couple of things shooting related over Christmas.

A bag:
bagsm.jpg

and something to go in it:
airwolfsm.jpg

Shot brilliantly for the hundred or so shots I've managed to put through it in the wind.
Really loving it

Associate
Did Santa being anyone else some gun related gifts?

I got a Nikko Sterling 3-9x50 scope. It has a illuminated sights and adjustable parallax, but I don't really know what that's for. Also, a nice little bipod.

The adjustable parallax allows you to focus the scope on the target and help reduce accuracy errors caused by the eye not being in the exact same place each time.

There are some really good descriptions on line abut it and how it affects the accuracy.

Soldato
You should strip and re-oil the stock, looks so much better after.

I love my Airwolf, its the only rifle i have kept over the years.

Associate
You should strip and re-oil the stock, looks so much better after.

I love my Airwolf, its the only rifle i have kept over the years.

Only had it a couple of days!
Maybe in the new year. I don't want to do anything to it straight away in case something goes wrong and it has to be sent back.
In my experience of electronic things, they either die very quickly or last many years.

Associate
Sorry guys - brand new to this and it's a long thread...

Is the Stoeger X20 any good? I'm looking for something for £150 max including a sight.

Just looking to do some target shooting.

Soldato
phil675 that air wolf looks amazing. But i'd go for mechanical one - which has less things to brake... its also on my shopping list as people say they are very accurate and durable.

Daystates mechanical rifles have a higher percentage of failures so your logic is flawed. The mechanical have more things to brake, springs, more seals and so on.
Wouldn't worry about re-oiling the stock if you want to do it, doubt the stock will develop a fault, they will only ask for the action back should a problem arise.

My airwolf has been faultless since i bought if the same day they released it, its been treated just the same as any other rifle i have owned, the only thing thats been changed on it is the battery. Its been out in the rain, even been dropped in a puddle and its still as accurate as day 1. Here is what my oiled stock looks like.

Dec31_001.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
On first glance I thought you had cut off the barrel there!
Nicely done on the stock, I guess that is wire wool, stock oil and a lot of time?

How do you find the bipod when it's that close to the trigger?

Soldato
Bi-pod is fine there its helps keep the balance right, i tried a bottle clamp one to begin with but it made it way too front heavy.

Yes nitromorse and wire wool, and a few months to oil it to the point i was happy.
Only other mods are much larger battery it only needs charging once a year now, and a reworked shroud silencer.

Back
Top Bottom