The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

Soldato
I agree chrono is essential if you are modifying your airgun but I would not expect just cleaning or general maintenance on a stock (original spec) gun would push it over the limit.

If it is already on the "limit" or just below doing general maintenance and cleaning can very well push it over enough for the police to crush it.

EDIT: Obviously depending on the time since it's last clean.

Soldato
They won't sell you an FAC rated spring without an FAC anyway. That said, a .177 spring in a .22 rifle would push it over the limit as a .177 spring needs to push the pellet faster to reach 12 ft lbs. But if you do this, in the eyes of the law you're walking round with a firearm.

I think the mods should ban you for asking such a stupid question. Basically you want to know how to make your airrifle into an illegal firearm under the current law. Unless you own a chronograph you should never mess about with your kit, in fact I would suggest given your question it would be better that you don't own an air rifle at all.

Yeah, fair enough. I haven't used it in ages and have only used it to shoot cans, so I hope - despite my admittedly stupid question, which I knew what the reaction would be but still asked anyway :o - I'm not too much of a liability to society.

Associate
I have an F1 chrony - if the weather is reasonable tomorrow I might be persuaded to try it and give some feedback here.

Did you get a chance to try out the mobile app?

I have recently picked up a chrony alpha :)

With this weather will be running tests indoors on a bench.....particularly interested too see where the 2240 and 2260 are performing. Indoors also gives me good temps for co2.

Am i likely to have any issues with using co2 guns on the chrony

Also is light likely to be an issue when using the chrony indoors.... i have a good adjustable hobby lamp on the bench.

Last edited:
Associate
Petes Airgun farm .

This is only 15mins from me :)

Am tempted but you need insurance (basa is £18pa) and pay a £20 induction :eek:

Day charge is then £10.

That said it's only a fiver to use the indoor range after 5.30pm :)

petesh.png

Might give it a go :)

Soldato
To be honest that sounds like a great deal at the range you have mentioned Thricenightly.
My local range (idleback) is £12 per hour! I can go to Park Lodge and shoot for £5 per half day but fuel costs me £25 for a return journey so then Idleback begins to seem more reasonable.
I am a member of a club, but it only shoots 3 evenings a week and as I do shift works I can rarely get there, in fact I may not renew my membership.

To add to the pellet talk, I am using RWS Hobby and Geko flats for my Alecto and Superdomes for my HW97k. I must get round to trying the Exacts but the Superdomes are so accurate I've not felt the need to so far!

I also wish to join the "I don't think arek even owns a rifle, and even if he did he probably shouldn't be allowed one" club.

Oh, I don't think I posted a pic of the HW97k, here it is with my Alecto:
20130109_223134.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I am using RWS Hobby and Geko flats for my Alecto and Superdomes for my HW97k. I must get round to trying the Exacts but the Superdomes are so accurate I've not felt the need to so far!

Hi Luke, what distance you shoot those RWS hobby? People are saying they dong go past 15m accuracy wise. But sure they are cheap as chips.

Soldato
This is only 15mins from me :)

Am tempted but you need insurance (basa is £18pa) and pay a £20 induction :eek:

Day charge is then £10.

That said it's only a fiver to use the indoor range after 5.30pm :)

Might give it a go :)

Thats place sounds expensive.

Ours is £36 a year plus £3 a visit for the entire day, and we have club insurance so as long as your signed in your insured. Sunday there is food as well and Wednesday couple of the guys do a takeaway run, its a very social club where a lot spend ages just talking.

Here is ours.

403118_10150627732903502_17026825_n.jpg

378870_10150627733008502_1636192465_n.jpg

We have three huts one a dedicated pistol shooting with wind in targets.
Targets go from 10 meters to about 100 meters.
We shoot both Wednesday and Sunday.

Last edited:
Soldato
Did you get a chance to try out the mobile app?

I have recently picked up a chrony alpha :)

With this weather will be running tests indoors on a bench.....particularly interested too see where the 2240 and 2260 are performing. Indoors also gives me good temps for co2.

Am i likely to have any issues with using co2 guns on the chrony

Also is light likely to be an issue when using the chrony indoors.... i have a good adjustable hobby lamp on the bench.

No - I've not had time! I had a very quick play a few minutes ago - the results aren't great tbh. I'm fairly certain the measurements are ok, but I was only shooting at 8m so that might be too short a distance (the app recommends 10-20m). It's flipping cold outside, so I didn't want to spend too long out there!!

Some figures:

Chrono 593 Phone ap 562
Chrono 594 Phone ap 557
Chrono 592 Phone ap 559
Chrono 594 Phone ap 553
Chrono 596 Phone ap 561

So not very good, but I need to do more testing to be fair. I don't think it would work on my indoor Chrono setup as my workshop is only 4 meters in length.

The Chono will be fine with your 2240 2260 CO2 guns - just make sure you have the muzzle about 1m away from the first sensor so there's no CO2 'cloud' to confuse it.

If you're going to use it indoors you will need to use the sunshades and rig up a light source. I use two 60w pearl incandescent lightbulbs on a jig that sits over the top. Fluorescent lighting will confuse the Chrono. Some people have had success balancing those multi led work light things on top of the shades.

Shame you bought the Alpha - you can knock up a remote for the F1 for a few quid that then turns it into an Alpha (The supplied remote for the Alpha is the only difference between the two) and is about £20 cheaper!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom