The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

Soldato
Bought a couple more BB guns today - a Dan Wesson 6" revolver and a Sig Sauer P226 X5

e4f228e9-d6eb-4ab8-b1dd-7a9e19d2e4ca_zps753c3aa0.jpg

268dbf1a-ebb6-4b24-9298-cc9969d8c931_zpsb3420236.jpg

The Dan Wesson is a really nice gun - it's nice that the cylinder swings out, but the 'bullets' are a little bit tacky.

The Sig is a large gun - much bulkier than the Witness 1911. It field strips, and feels nice in the hand.

I've not had a chance to fire them yet as it's dark outside!

The Sig has an underslung rail for mounting a torch/laser or whatever. The Dan Wesson has open sights, but comes with an optional rail for the top too, allowing a red dot/laser sight to be mounted.

Two nice bits of kit.

Permabanned
Bought a couple more BB guns today - a Dan Wesson 6" revolver and a Sig Sauer P226 X5

e4f228e9-d6eb-4ab8-b1dd-7a9e19d2e4ca_zps753c3aa0.jpg

268dbf1a-ebb6-4b24-9298-cc9969d8c931_zpsb3420236.jpg

The Dan Wesson is a really nice gun - it's nice that the cylinder swings out, but the 'bullets' are a little bit tacky.

The Sig is a large gun - much bulkier than the Witness 1911. It field strips, and feels nice in the hand.

I've not had a chance to fire them yet as it's dark outside!

The Sig has an underslung rail for mounting a torch/laser or whatever. The Dan Wesson has open sights, but comes with an optional rail for the top too, allowing a red dot/laser sight to be mounted.

Two nice bits of kit.

Very nice indeed, I own both of these guns, love the dan wessons. ;) enjoy ;)

Soldato
Very nice indeed, I own both of these guns, love the dan wessons. ;) enjoy ;)

Cheers - I've just added a green laser to the Sig - can't wait to try it on the range - just need to find A: some time and B: some decent weather!

I also want to get the Cybergun GSG-92 as shown a few pages ago - I already have a Beretta FS (The Umarex version - fixed slide, rotary mag), but I'd like a more realistic version.

Here's the Sig with the laser fitted - rwarrr!! (The laser body looks green, but it must be the camera, as it's black in real life!).

87d40fdf-205d-47f2-acef-1a4f129e10c8_zps5e97196f.jpg

Permabanned
Cheers - I've just added a green laser to the Sig - can't wait to try it on the range - just need to find A: some time and B: some decent weather!

I also want to get the Cybergun GSG-92 as shown a few pages ago - I already have a Beretta FS (The Umarex version - fixed slide, rotary mag), but I'd like a more realistic version.

Here's the Sig with the laser fitted - rwarrr!! (The laser body looks green, but it must be the camera, as it's black in real life!).

87d40fdf-205d-47f2-acef-1a4f129e10c8_zps5e97196f.jpg

Snap, I also have the beretta 92 fs umarex and am tempted by the gsg-92 for the same reaasons. My sig doesn'ty always lock back after the last round is fired and tends to dry fire one or two shots before locking back. Be interested to know if your sig suffers from the same probs. Looks great with the laser sight. :)

Soldato
bb= Ball Bearing

Weather looking good for this weekend.. Can't wait!

I think that BBs are called BBs because they are the same size as BB bird shot (4.57mm) :)

Right - I've had a couple of evenings in the workshop messing about with the Ratty, and:

73eb902f-1a86-4fa6-97ed-2ed8e9c8454c_zps82033229.jpg

36b21cf2-52b3-49b2-a89d-5d6ec0b86bcd_zps95ee85b3.jpg

Crappy first pic, and yes, I know the scope is wonky :p

It's all together and air tight. I wanted to retain the 'take down' ability, so I have put in a quick fill adaptor to separate the stock from the air tube. The spacer under the hand grip was made from a wooden door wedge sprayed matt black.

When I got it all together it was firing at 10ftlbs - the best I have ever got before. I was hoping for a bit better than that, so, after a LOT of fiddling, it's now running at 11.7ftlbs using AA Fields - not bad for a 14" barrel :D I'm not sure of the shot count yet.

I need to tidy it up and get a decent moderator as the old one does naff all. I'm getting some dense foam to line the case and do some cut outs to stop the bits from rattling about. There should be a barrel band at the end of the forward hand grip - I'll need to get some high mounts if I'm going to use it as the scope will foul it otherwise.

I'll do a more detailed write up in the next few days with better pictures, if you'd like them :)

Last edited:
Associate
Awesome conversion there Quink.
I love the way you've got the bottle mounted, that's thinking differently.

Do you think 11.7 is a little close with AA fields? Stick some Bisley magnums down it and see what power that racks it up to.

Associate
I'll do a more detailed write up in the next few days with better pictures, if you'd like them :)

Yes please :cool:. All looking very good. how many shots are you getting with that tank and what pressure are you filling to?.

Now managed to get the chronny running indoors using led lighting (£1 all in from poundland:))

My 2260 is recording a max of 580fps 10.76 ft/lbs (using accupel) but not consistent. 580 is supposed to be stock fps :(....suspecting valve or transfer port issue. Valve is standard and opportunity to do some work on it but keen to keep within legal limits. May do the poly tube mod for transfer port but am keen to avoid....leaks!

Associate
So some pellet testing completed.

Note this was all done with a strong side wind. It was quite consistent though so I got on with it.

Pics in spoiler tags.
35 yards 5 shots per target apart from the first 2 as I was checking my zero with the H&N's
pellettest1sm.jpg

45 yards 5 shots per target 2 targets per pellet.
pellettest2sm.jpg

pellettest3sm.jpg

Defiants were a mixed bag useless at 35 yards, but amazing at 45 yards. I guess because of the damaged skirts in the test pack. Might be worth another try from a tin.

JSB's as expected worked really well. 4.52 seems the best other than the massive flyer on both the 45 yard targets. They are very efficient in the barrel, slightly worryingly so.

The F&T specials were amazing at 35 yards, opened up a bit at 45 but worth buying a tin.

Not sure what happened to the Accupels, massive spread at 45 yards after a promising 35 yard target.

Last edited:
Soldato
Were you using the magazine or single shot tray?

If it was the magazine then 9 times out of 10 the flyer is caused by a small part of the pellet skirt getting caught/skimmed/crimped on either the magazine housing or chamber as you push the bolt forward. It's very difficult to feel when it happens but after enough time you can feel that sometimes the bolt seems a bit "rough" when going forward and thats the sign of a flyer about to happen.

My MCT Airwolf, Ultra/S200 hybrid and BSA S10mk3 magazines were all prone to throwing the occasional flyer and all felt the same when it happened yet, when used as a single shot, they all had a much better flyer rate (single shots not great for hunting I know).

Associate
All targets were shot singe shot, however, I'm not sure the tray is right. With the bolt forward you can actually lift the tray a little bit and when the probe picks up the pellet it can tilt it which causes the head to hit the breach in odd ways.

I've got a Westy tray coming to see if that solves the problem. I'm also going to call Daystate and ask them about a replacement.

Back
Top Bottom