The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

Soldato
As you said - It really is the Daddy of Legal Air pistols.

Fantastic to look at, shoot and hold. I have yet to see an air pistol that is constructed with such precision - and that baby there still shoots as well even after 20 years.

:eek: It still looks brand new even after 20 years. I think I'll buy another, i really wish i hadn't sold it.

IMG_3046.jpg

These are my other air pistols i own. Well the top 2 are airsoft guns but i couldn't find a pic with just the co2 guns. Bottom 2 are Umarex co2 pistols. I don't really use them that much anymore as they just don't have enough power to be any fun. Much prefer my co2 S&W.

Soldato
Chronoscopes

http://www.chronoscopes.com/

The Mk4 combro is a great bit of kit. Does exactly what it should, and if you accidentally shoot it, you can buy spare parts or send it back for repairs. Replacement batteries are also a steal from these guys, compared to just about everywhere else.

Well worth the money, especially if you're going to be using any kind of ballistics software, like Chairgun or the Hawke Ballistic Reticle Calculator (both available from http://www.hawkeoptics.com/ )

Recommend this for any of you guys with PCP's (either with or without anti-tamper devices) - best way to ensure you keep your rifle within the law; as soon as the rifle is in your hands it's your responsibility alone to make sure it doesn't run hot, either by tuning it yourself, or returning it to the manufacturer.
The irony is that new rifles from wheirauch (hw100 variants) and other manufacturers, have sometimes come from the factory exceeding the 12ftlb limit, and because most of the new ones are fitted with a concessionary 'anti-tamper' mechanism to prevent you increasing the power of your rifle, it also means you cannot tune it down if the power starts to increase, say after the rifle has been run in or if there's a fault. Technically you are then stuck with an unlicensed firearm :rolleyes:
All very logical, I'm sure :p

Associate
I live right on the edge of town and have been known to shoot rabbits for food (the meat is really not as tough as people seem to believe). My rifle is a Weihrauch HW97K, but it hasn't seen any action over the past three years or so.

I can fully recommend http://www.airgunbuyer.com/ for anything you might need, but now that the law has changed you will have to pay your local gun shop to accept the delivery of any rifle or pistol (it should still work out cheaper, though).

Soldato
The only problem I'm finding is that the guns hold their value so well - second hand prices are pretty much the same as new! Ach well, new it is then :)

Im no gun Expert, but have you tried Aladins Cave down here in Glenrothes? theres also a couple of shops in Kirkcaldy, as i say they may be a load of horse ****

I have an old BSA Scorpion pistol in my garage never gets out tho as im scared i get caught, pluss the wife isnt to keen on it.

Permabanned
I have an air rifle. Quite powerfull but not very accurate (Or is that me).

I would like to own a nice powerful air rifle, that has a scope, has a silencer. I can't use the rifle i have now as the neighbours don't like it. It makes a hell of a bang!!

Can i purchase an air rifle with the spec i want and it will be almost silent?

I shoot rats that come in my garden sometime. Hate pigeons of all sorts!!

Associate
Pretty much all the pre-charged ones with a silencer will be almost silent from any distance.

Mine makes a thud from the firing hammer, but you can't hear it from in front of the rifle.

take the silencer off though and it sure does make a bang.

Soldato
sorry to drag this thread up again but it seemed better than posting a new one, any way am looking to get back in to air rifles (use to have a bsa lightning, falcon precharge and a gunpower stealth) and am looking at getting a springer got about £400 to spend on one for everything and am looking at the bsa xl tactical or the Weihrauch HW 97K (the hw97k is about £435 from blackpool airguns so could stretch it) the tactical is lighter but for my size the weight is not a problem as the hw97k will feel more solid and most likely be more accurate, am leaning more towards the hw97k but am worried about the sound and the twag of it (my old lightning was really bad for it)
:confused:

Soldato
sorry to drag this thread up again but it seemed better than posting a new one, any way am looking to get back in to air rifles (use to have a bsa lightning, falcon precharge and a gunpower stealth) and am looking at getting a springer got about £400 to spend on one for everything and am looking at the bsa xl tactical or the Weihrauch HW 97K (the hw97k is about £435 from blackpool airguns so could stretch it) the tactical is lighter but for my size the weight is not a problem as the hw97k will feel more solid and most likely be more accurate, am leaning more toward the hw97k but am worried about the sound and the twag of it (my old lightning was really bad for it)
:confused:

The 2 guns you have selected really are totally different. The lightning is very light and as such has a fair amount of recoil, the 97 on the other hand is far more tame.

The HW97 is a heavy beast and so isn't really good as a carry about rifle for hunting etc. The Lightning is great for this but its more of a beginners rifle really. It can do the job but there are better rifles out there.

If you don't mind the weight penalty then the 97 is a really good gun and extremely accurate. If you want a lighter gun then i would suggest the HW95 with screw on silencer over the Lightning. Much better gun and the trigger on the 95 is far superior 2 stage unit.

Most springers have a twang from the factory, the Lightning is worse for this than the HW guns. If you want to eradicate it then you need to buy a tuning kit or send it off to Venom like i did. Makes a massive difference, makes it smoother/easier to **** and improves the lock time which increases accuracy.

If you want a gun thats tuned out of the box then i would suggest the AA TX200. This is very similar to the HW97 but will be smoother out of the box and i think its a similar price.

Soldato
Have you considered buying second hand off a forum?
New ones are only £343 though so pressume that was a typo?

A good 97K 2nd one would go for around £200. A rough one for less.

What is it you will be using it for?

Got a HW77 myself. Same gun really just a different stock. Bought it new in the late 80s :) Spent a bit on it (£70ish) getting a V-Mach kit for it and that transformed it. Now shoots a lot smoother and no twang at all. Mind you before that i had an ox mainspring in it (say no more :()

Great guns...solid and accurate and they like H&N FTT pellets. My local rabbit population doesnt like it though :)

Soldato
thanks for that Mark will have another look around and see what they have at BAR when the time comes

postman am hunting Rabbits and magpies with crows on the side about 35 to 40m at the most, i had thought about secondhand but it would depend on the location of said rifle, had a look on airgunforums.com and there wasnt much about north yorkshire

Last edited:
Soldato
thanks for that Mark will have another look around and see what they have at BAR when the time comes

postman am hunting Rabbits and magpies with crows on the side about 35 to 40m at the most, i had thought about secondhand but it would depend on the location of said rifle, had a look on airgunforums.com and there wasnt much about north yorkshire

Have a look at airgunbbs......for £400 you should be OK for a PCP with a scope in the second hand market.

35yards should be the most you'd go to with a sub 12ftlbs rifle, anymore is too risky for live prey.

They are great for advise on there too.....definately worth a visit

Soldato
IMO Weirauch are the only good value for money springers left around these days since BSA (bought out by a spanish company and all the components are now cheap) and Webley have gone down the swannie.

Get yourself a HW97. :)

Back
Top Bottom