*** The all new Apple iPad thread - Keep all iPad stuff in here ***

Associate
Oh if they made a poker software app like Full Tilt Poker for the iPad it would almost make it worth buying :D i could play poker in work at last

Soldato
I am willing to be corrected on this folks, but am I right in assuming that some people are still considering buying these from the US? If so why? Just wait for the UK release?
(Am I missing something here?)

Soldato
Since the UK prices are not as bad as I thought they'd be, the 32gb WiFi being around £30 more, after VAT added, than the US non state tax price, I shall be buying a UK one.

Also this potential warranty issue, which I hope isn't true, puts me off.

I've waited this long and 28th May is payday for me and I did 44 hours o/t last month so that can pay for it.

Soldato
I spoke to Apple today and they told me the warranties are region based so I would hold out.

That cant be right.:confused:
Apple warrenties have always been worldwide ones.
My old Touch 32Gb which i bought in Amsterdam, was accepted for repair over here perfectly fine...?

I definatelly want to get an iPad, preferably a 64Gb 3g one, but i want to see what tariffs the other networks offer for it.
I'd happily sign up to a 18-24 month contract on one if it was like £5 a month for 3Gb or something similar,
But Oranges proposed tariffs are frankly rubbish at the moment.

Soldato
Argh the warranty Q

£599 for a 32G 3G one....jesus.

That is almost into Macbook money.

Yeah someone pointed that out to me today...

I'm of the opinion that if I were to get one it would have to be the 64GB 3G... and £699 is too much.
In the USA a 64GB 3G including Sales Tax is £600 (was £590 mid-week before the election screwed up our country)... and I'd have no issues going for the green 'nothing to declare' line at customs :p.

Apple warrenties have always been worldwide ones.
Wrong.
The iPhone warranty is for the country it was purchased in only. So even though the iPhone 3GS is sold by Apple in the UK, a USA purchased iPhone 3GS will not be covered in the UK.

As far as I understand Apple's warranty stance it's if the device is portable (able to be operated without a power cord) then the warranty is international as long as the product is available in the country you're requesting service. The iPhone was an exception to this.

The question is whether the iPad is going to be like the MacBooks or like the iPhones....

iPad warranty is world wide has been confirmed so many times. Obviously some people make up stuff. Steve Jobs even confirmed it via email. I think.
Got a link to this?

Both here and MacRumors it keeps coming up and it's literally six of one half dozen of the other, with no concrete evidence either way.

I've personally spoken to an Apple employee who's told me it's not international (genius at Bath store) but there's people here who've been told it is international..... it needs something in writing from Apple themselves clarifying it tbh!

Soldato
Normally when I decide to buy something I don't need, I spend ages in conflict with myself over if I should buy it or not. This is one of the few unnecessary items where I've not changed my mind even with the extended wait. If I had known of a definitely safe source off ebay, or a friend could have got one for me when he was in the US, I'd have had one by now.

Now all I need to do is order one from Apple tomorrow and hope it's delivered on the 28th May.

Associate
Does anyone have any idea what time Apple will start taking pre-orders tomorrow?

Some people have to go to work tomorrow and may not have internet access :)

Associate
I've personally spoken to an Apple employee who's told me it's not international (genius at Bath store) but there's people here who've been told it is international..... it needs something in writing from Apple themselves clarifying it tbh!
This is beautifully ambiguous on the topic:
Apple Support said:
Apple may restrict service to the original country of purchase.

Similarly, the iPad warranty says this:
iPad warranty said:
Apple may restrict service to the country where Apple or its Authorized Distributors originally sold the hardware product.

No wonder you are getting mixed messages. Sounds like one of those that may depend on who exactly you talk to, and how they are feeling, when you run into issues...

Soldato
Since the UK prices are not as bad as I thought they'd be, the 32gb WiFi being around £30 more, after VAT added, than the US non state tax price, I shall be buying a UK one.

Also this potential warranty issue, which I hope isn't true, puts me off.

I've waited this long and 28th May is payday for me and I did 44 hours o/t last month so that can pay for it.

Where are these prices then ?

Associate
If its available for pre-order on the 10th, what is Apple's history on pre-orders, will it be from midnight tonight, or sometime tomorrow?

I have a feeling that you'll need to be in pretty quick to get one.

Associate
i used one of these few weeks ago, had training from Apple...was awesome best thing ive used in a while :)

Its just so different u cant compare it with anything currently around.....the games and the videos just look amazing.

Back
Top Bottom