Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Injured myself again tonight after only 4 sessions back from a break. I was on my third set of inclines with the dumbbells and managed to misjudge the power needed to bump the weights in to place while I was leaning back and it shot past my head and pulled my arm backwards. I've now got a pulled lat muscle :(

Injured myself again tonight after only 4 sessions back from a break. I was on my third set of inclines with the dumbbells and managed to misjudge the power needed to bump the weights in to place while I was leaning back and it shot past my head and pulled my arm backwards. I've now got a pulled lat muscle :(

Sounds nasty. I've seen dumbells fall backwards from people shoulder pressing. Similar thing? Shoulder/ rotator cuff feel alright?

Currently running a 3 day split.

Mon - Chest & Bi's
Wed - Legs
Fri - Back & Tris

Shoulder work was meant to be split between the monday and the friday sessions but so far I have been shattered by the end of my work out, and not left with any time to carry out my shoulder work.
I would be able to get to the gym on thursday nights as well taking my nights to 4 in the gym, would this be a good time to do sole shoulder work, and can someone suggest what lifts to be doing this night if so.

Thanks

Currently running a 3 day split.

Mon - Chest & Bi's
Wed - Legs
Fri - Back & Tris

Shoulder work was meant to be split between the monday and the friday sessions but so far I have been shattered by the end of my work out, and not left with any time to carry out my shoulder work.
I would be able to get to the gym on thursday nights as well taking my nights to 4 in the gym, would this be a good time to do sole shoulder work, and can someone suggest what lifts to be doing this night if so.

Thanks

Can't you fit shoulders in between chest and bi's? That what I'm doing at the moment.

Was:
Bench
Incline Dumbell Bench
Dumbell Shoulder Press
Lateral raises
Bicep Curl
Hammer Curl

Now:
Bench
Incline Dumbell Bench
Flys
Dumbell Shoulder Press
Bicep Curl
Hammer Curl

I could do, but i do have some free time on the thursday and would like to focus on my shoulders and i think a lot of people neglect them and they can be very important for both strength and a good look.

Just another quick HST question from me guys, I'm about to do my second workout of my first week today and part of the workout is pullups, however, I can't do 15 pullups, how should I get around this?

Just do as many as I can or should I substitute something else for it?

I'm inclined to just do as many as I can, because that's the only way I will improve on them.

Thoughts?

Thanks

I was just looking at that HST here http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_II.html

• All maxes should be established before beginning the first cycle. Your maxes will determine what weights you will use throughout the entire cycle. Find your 15 rep, 10 rep, and 5 rep max lifts for each exercise you are going to use. For the second cycle simply add 5-10 pounds to all lifts.
• There is an obligatory increase in weight (from 5-20 lbs.) each workout. This means that at times you may be working with less than your maximum weight for any given rep scheme. This is by design. You will reach max poundages for a given rep range on the last workout of each two week bloc

Imo if you want to follow that you will have to do pulldowns, as you will have to get heavier next week for 15 reps again? Correct me if I'm wrong, only just looked at it.

I was just looking at that HST here http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_II.html

• All maxes should be established before beginning the first cycle. Your maxes will determine what weights you will use throughout the entire cycle. Find your 15 rep, 10 rep, and 5 rep max lifts for each exercise you are going to use. For the second cycle simply add 5-10 pounds to all lifts.
• There is an obligatory increase in weight (from 5-20 lbs.) each workout. This means that at times you may be working with less than your maximum weight for any given rep scheme. This is by design. You will reach max poundages for a given rep range on the last workout of each two week bloc

Imo if you want to follow that you will have to do pulldowns, as you will have to get heavier next week for 15 reps again? Correct me if I'm wrong, only just looked at it.

Thanks for the reply dun, and I did read that and have established my maxes for everything else, just I cannot do the required number of pullups.

I know that I need to do them to improve, but also this could adversely affect my progress.

Unfortunately I work out at home and don't have access to a pull down machine.

Would you say I should just do BORs or would you replace it with something else?

Thanks for the reply dun, and I did read that and have established my maxes for everything else, just I cannot do the required number of pullups.

I know that I need to do them to improve, but also this could adversely affect my progress.

Unfortunately I work out at home and don't have access to a pull down machine.

Would you say I should just do BORs or would you replace it with something else?

Ah didn't realise you worked out at home. Could you get someone to help you for the last few reps by just easing up your knees? That's what we do if going for some forced reps etc. If not then as above maybe just do the negative part once you can't lift yourself up. OR try putting a chair under it and ease yourself up using your legs as little as possible.

Back from my workout, and cheers for the advice guys, the negatives worked well :) Feeling absolutely shattered now and the hot weather is an absolute killer.

No air con = :(

With regards to pullups i'd just do them to near failiure each workout, doing the same number of sets for your 15/10/5 cycles. This still follows most of the HST protocols appart from the increasing intensity. Once you can do 15+ then add belt/chain/weight :D

Without meaning to get too 'medicalish', does anyone know of a site that shows different stretches, possibly focused to help people with pulled/strained muscles? I did my back in last week and while it's fine to box on again I can still feel it when my muscles start to cool off, so I'd like some stretches to do post workout to hopefully relieve it a bit.
Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

With regards to pullups i'd just do them to near failiure each workout, doing the same number of sets for your 15/10/5 cycles. This still follows most of the HST protocols appart from the increasing intensity. Once you can do 15+ then add belt/chain/weight :D

Don't do this.

HST has loading protocols, you should only get near failure twice every 6 workouts.

15x2

Mon - Light
Wed - Light
Fri - Moderate
Mon - Moderate
Wed - Heavy
Fri - Heavy

10x3

Mon - Light
Wed - Light
Fri - Moderate
Mon - Moderate
Wed - Heavy
Fri - Heavy

5x5

Mon - Light
Wed - Light
Fri - Moderate
Mon - Moderate
Wed - Heavy
Fri - Heavy

Don't do this.

HST has loading protocols, you should only get near failure twice every 6 workouts.

So would it be all right to continue doing the negatives wardie?

This HST business is really complicated, it's confusing me to hell.:o

Think I have everything in check now though, my diet has gone a bit wrong lately, but I'm raining that back in now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom