Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't do this.

HST has loading protocols, you should only get near failure twice every 6 workouts.

15x2

Mon - Light
Wed - Light
Fri - Moderate
Mon - Moderate
Wed - Heavy
Fri - Heavy

10x3

Mon - Light
Wed - Light
Fri - Moderate
Mon - Moderate
Wed - Heavy
Fri - Heavy

5x5

Mon - Light
Wed - Light
Fri - Moderate
Mon - Moderate
Wed - Heavy
Fri - Heavy

Light and moderate weight 5x5? What's the point in that mate?

I've been doing the 'cat stretch' already, but unfortunately I can't see anything else there that would help. Thanks though :)

Much later edit:

So my Powerbar came today. Let me list the ways in which I love it:

- Heavy duty metal supports, I easily believe the 20st limit, and my 18st house mate had a good go and it was rock solid, could probably hold more than 20st.
- Requires no screwing into walls or any fittings what-so-ever.
- Can put it up in the time it takes you to raise both your arms...
- Wide enough for wide-grip pulls.
- I can imagine it would work on almost any door frame, as long as it's not especially and unusually thick, we live in a pretty old house with mouldings etc so our door frames are quite thick and it fits fine.
- £30 including delivery.

(no I'm not a Powerbar salesman, the product just works really well and I like it when you pay money for something and it works 100% as it should.)

The only slight design flaw are the two 'hook' parts that go behind the door frame, they end in rubber caps but they are still pretty small to be spreading so much force (especially if you have a softer plaster finish). However this can easily be fixed by simply balling up some padding material and duct taping it to the ends (I didn't need to do this but it would fix the issue if anyone experienced it).

So yeah, pleased with my purchase. Also, having an actual nice round bar to grip onto has made a massive difference, my lats seemed to have done much more work and my fore-arms are less sore from trying to maintain a right angle grip. Overall I managed to do less pull ups as well, as my grip was wider with it and my form better - but I took this as a good thing, I've got more of a way to go before I have to go weighted. Also I had nowhere to do the 'palms facing inwards' pullup (which ever one that is) before, now I do :)

Last edited:
Poor session for me tonight. Really couldn't be bothered and I've lost interest after only 1 week back after a 3 month break.

Hammer Grip Pull Ups
BW x 8
BW x 8
BW x 8

Dumbbell Shoulder Press
27.5 x 8
32.5 x 8
37.5 x 8

Rows
60 x 8
70 x 8
80 x 3

Horrible form so gave up. Haven't done bent over rows for years because I hate them with a passion. Never been able to do them properly with any weight and always end up working my traps rather than my back. Probably my most hated exercise and one I won't be doing again.

Weighted Hyper Extensions\Crunches
30 x 12
30 x 12

A bit of a mixed session today.

RC work as usual

Did some flat BB bench today to see how my shoulder is fairing with very slow eccentric movements (4s min):

60x5
60x5
60x5
60x5
60x5
60x5
60x5
100x5
100x5
60x12

Felt good should felt ok too - didn't push more than 100kg as there was no point but it was easy enough to push up. :)

Powercleans:

60x6
60x6
80x6
90x5
100x4
100x4

DLs:

100x10
140x8
160x6
180x4
200x3
210x1
100x10

I had no straps so had to rely on good ol grip strength.

EZ_bar preachers (narrow grip) // Single arm preachers // Tricep pull down // overhead tricep extension MEGASET!!!

27.5x10 // 15x10 // 90x10 // 10x8
37.5x10 // 15x8 // 100x10 // 12x8
42.5x8 // 15x6 // 100x8 // 14x6

And that's it. Ok session just a bit of a medley really - starting AGVT next week so just keeping myself tied over. :)

Hey Freefaller,

Sorry to disrupt the thread (:o) but I've tried e-mailing several admins and mods, and even you via your trust over these past few weeks - all to no avail. I changed the password on my old account (aftershxck) and must've changed it to something other than what I thought I changed it to. Since nobody ever replied to my e-mails the only choice I had was registering another account - can you help me out please? I didn't want to create a (most likely shunned upon, although I have no choice) thread in GD... plus I like my gym sessions so this thread seemed most appropriate :p

Cheers!

Need some more advice guys. I've just done my 3rd HST session of the first week (early I know, I was pretty G'd up). And everything goes well for the first sort of 30 mins until I get off of the compounds by which point I'm knackered and my iso's suffer quite a bit, particularly my calfs. Especially in this heat (no excuse though).

It is also not ideal to not be able to do 15 x pullups and just about 15 dips (pretty much failure).

I'm considering hitting the 5 x 5s for a while on the big compounds and trying to bring up my dipping and pull up capacity so I can come back at HST fresh and stronger in a few months. Do you guys think this would be a better course of action?

At the minute I just feel like I'm not getting the best out of it, and I don't want to waste a cycle of it.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

No. This is a good sign, it means the program is hard work. Next time push yourself to the limit and then past it to get all the exercises done and do them well. In a couple of weeks you will be much more used to it and be benefiting from it.

Keep at it Jonny, the 15s are supposed to feel like that. Im pretty much sitting down for fear of fainting on day 5 & 6. The 10s are more of what you're used to and dont leave me out of breath quite so much

Just back from the gym after an amazing session, went it to do some legs and shoulders and by the time I'd finished shoulders I was in the mood for just throwing some heavy weight around.
I managed 1rm PB's in deadlift 140kg squat 120kg and bench 90kg all of these after lighter warm up lifts as I wasnt sure how far I could push it
finished off with 15mins hard cardio I'm still buzzing

Last edited:
@ dun and rick, thanks for the advice lads, I will do then. I have no problem with sticking it out, I just want to make sure that I don't waste it and let my body get used to an inefficient cycle and waist possible gains (if that makes sense/even works lol).

Cheers for the encouragement :)

Quick question for the people in this thread, does anyone ever do any training for their forearms?

No matter what I do, no size is ever added to them.

deadlifts, heavy BB shrugs, seated rows, hammer grip pull ups.

no, not conventional forearm exercises, but doing a very intensive back workout will really work your forearms :]

Yeah just basically working on your grip will improve forearms. Try loading a BB up with a load of weight then just hanging onto it for as long as possible, try to beat your time every week.

Plate catches are highly rated aswell. You hold a weight with one hand, then flip it and try to catch it.

Towel pull ups are good, loving them at the minute. Though genetically I think I'll always have forearms like a 12 year old girl

My bro has been using "fat gripz" on like 90% of his workouts at the minute and he's noticed a big increase in size

Did my PB of 140kg (2x5) on DL last Weds, and 140kg on the Squat on Fri. Taking a break this week as my right shoulder has been tender all week (since chest/shoulders last Mon,) so will rest this week before seeing if I need to see the Doc. :)

RE: My shoulders/traps hurting from squat.. I decided not to do as many reps this time, so jumped up in 40kg steps. Started on 10x60kg, 10x100kg, then did 2 5x140kg, and back down the scale again and had next to no discomfort. Really happy with that :)

Left the belt at home, too. :)

Did my PB of 140kg (2x5) on DL last Weds, and 140kg on the Squat on Fri. Taking a break this week as my right shoulder has been tender all week (since chest/shoulders last Mon,) so will rest this week before seeing if I need to see the Doc. :)

RE: My shoulders/traps hurting from squat.. I decided not to do as many reps this time, so jumped up in 40kg steps. Started on 10x60kg, 10x100kg, then did 2 5x140kg, and back down the scale again and had next to no discomfort. Really happy with that :)

Left the belt at home, too. :)

DJ...be Carefull with pain in the shoulders while squating. Ive screwed both of mine this year....and im pretty sure the cause was squating on both occasions. 4-5 moths later...ive just done a workout and they are both aching....Im not sure if they will ever be the same now. So watch...if its really uncomfartable and feeling strained....drop back a bit. I never when if felt awkward...and now wish I had.

Managed my 26kg dumbbell bench press today for 6 good reps then for 5 then dropped down to 24kg :D, need to check my weight though as apparently I gained 3 pounds in 10 days on wii fit, though that might change over the next few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom