Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
OP
This GVT is killing me.

However I'm making some awesome progress.

Still close to 80 reps of wide grip chins, squats, bench etc... per session is somewhat deadly! It's also strange using lighter weights but at the same time brilliant as I've really re-established my form and have been doing much more controlled movements - and feeling as though I'm getting so much more out of it.

Soldato
I was going to make a new thread but I know you guys hate that :D

It has been a few months now. I've been hitting the gym on average 5 times a week, comprising of equal weights and treadmill/running sessions. The problem is I still drink around 20-30 units/week, most of which on a Friday night.

I'm starting to bulk up. I've been taking in a protein-heavy diet and plenty of calories, topping this up with protein supplements on days where my diet contains less protein. The problem is I also still have a bit of fat round the belly. There is no definition whatsoever unless I stand in front of the mirror and tense.

2 Crucial Questions

1) My mate who takes the gym seriously for Rugby claims that doing the sort of running I do is counter-productive for bulking up. On my running days I'll do two 30 minute runs. One will be random-incline run of 6.5km/300metre climbed/600 calories burnt. The other a steady warm-down run, 30 minutes of say 11.5km/h. Is there any truth in this? Should I be taking snacks/sugar before the run so my body doesn't burn off muscle?

2) If I'm generally trying to bulk up and keep the weight down (something which I fully appreciate is extremely difficult and requires an elusive balance) should I still be eating plenty of calories every day. Currently I only take in loads of calories on weights-days. Running days I don't make the effort. Is this harming my long term effort?

I'd really appreciate it if someone could clear up those two questions :)
Perhaps the answer is to spend a few months just running to lose weight and then start on the weights more seriously?

Man of Honour
You should be eating just as much on your rest days. Remember, resting is even more important in a way than the training itself. That is when your body is building the muscle so that is when it really needs the nutrients/protein/calories

As for cardio during bulking. You should never not do cardio tbh, even if it's just for fitness sake. A lot of people use bulking as an excuse not to do cardio, but unfortunatley, they're the ones who usually baloon and get a bit fatter than they should. Just never do fasted cardio, have a shake before or a light meal an hour or so before and run for 30-40 minutes at 60% of your max heart rate. That will prevent any catobolism, but keep the fat to a minimum and allow your fitness to stay the same

Remember, when you're bulking up, your body is getting bigger, theres more that your heart needs to deal with. For that reason, you should keep it in tip top condition, and unfortunatley that involves a little bit of cardio. Rowing is a good alternative too by the way

Man of Honour
OP
You could have started another thread it's ok. :)

For a start you're trying to bulk up but lose FAT not weight!!! ;)

Secondly, alcohol lowers test levels significantly and your body resources it's time for digesting the alcohol rather than regenerating muscle. 20/30 units is a lot to have! I don't think I even have that much a month!

Nothing wrong with cardio whilst training, just bear in mind that there are different levels of cardio which affect your body in different ways.

The Energy Efficient or Recovery Zone - 60% to 70%
Training within this zone develops basic endurance and aerobic capacity. All easy recovery running should be completed at a maximum of 70%. Another advantage to running in this zone is that while you are happily fat burning you may lose weight and you will be allowing your muscles to re-energise with glycogen, which has been expended during those faster paced workouts.

The Aerobic Zone - 70% to 80%
Training in this zone will develop your cardiovascular system. The body's ability to transport oxygen to, and carbon dioxide away from, the working muscles can be developed and improved. As you become fitter and stronger from training in this zone it will be possible to run some of your long weekend runs at up to 75%, so getting the benefits of some fat burning and improved aerobic capacity.

The Anaerobic Zone - 80% to 90%
Training in this zone will develop your lactic acid system. In this zone, your individual anaerobic threshold (AT) is found - sometimes referred to the point of deflection (POD). During these heart rates, the amount of fat being utilised as the main source of energy is greatly reduced and glycogen stored in the muscle is predominantly used. One of the by-products of burning this glycogen is lactic acid. There is a point at which the body can no longer remove the lactic acid from the working muscles quickly enough. This is your anaerobic threshold (AT). Through the correct training, it is possible to delay the AT by being able to increase your ability to deal with the lactic acid for a longer period of time or by pushing the AT higher.

The Red Line Zone 90% to 100%
Training in this zone will only be possible for short periods. It effectively trains your fast twitch muscle fibres and helps to develop speed. This zone is reserved for interval running and only the very fit are able to train effectively within this zone.

Personally I tend to train in the last 2 categories, but I do sometimes do the 1st but in this instance you're not depleting fat efficiently and you could be using muscle tissue as well.

Man of Honour
OP
bulk, then cut. It's very hard to do both at the same time. :)

Bulking and cutting is daft and it is simply not necessary these days. Bodybuilding has come a long way since the days of the 80s mentality of bulking and cutting. Bulking and cutting effectively came aroudn owing to AAS anyway.

There is absolutely no need to bulk and gain lots of fat which is effectively all you do. You may retain on a few lbs of muscle but it really isn't worth the effort without special sauce.

If you're a natrual trainer it is more than feasible to do a lean bulk - I 've been doing it for 3 years and it's been doing me well.

The whole bulk/cut cycle is antiquated IMO.

Man of Honour
OP
Keeping fit whilst bodybuilding is extremely important, you're puttign your body through a lot of stress and you want to make sure your body's cardiovascular system is able to cope with the extra strain. So many bodybuilders and powerlifters have burst blood vessels and had mini angina attacks owing to their poor ability to cope with stress on the body.

Caporegime
I cba with too much cardio stuff as I literally find it incredibly boring.
Weights for muscle, diet for fat loss is my take on it in general.

I do 3 x 15 mins. Concept2 interval sessions per week after my weights and / or on rest days.

Associate
i find cardio more intresting a group of 2-3 people pushing each other. When on my own it can be boring or relaxing which in a way are the same thing :D but i feel like i don't need the extra motivation from other people lifting weights (or at least not as much) as can get it myself (though a spotter is really useful for pushing out the last rep or 2)

Man of Honour
i find cardio more intresting a group of 2-3 people pushing each other. When on my own it can be boring or relaxing which in a way are the same thing :D but i feel like i don't need the extra motivation from other people lifting weights (or at least not as much) as can get it myself

I'm exactly the same stick me up against my mates who all look a lot fitter than me and I will trounce them up and down the gym just to prove a point :D

Associate
Just had an awesome couple of day on the weights. First of all yesterday was leg day, I went back to basics on form on my squats and the lowering phase was absolute torture but I loved every second. Next I did some front squats for the first time and some sumo deadlifts. Which were both brilliant fun and really challenging. I'm not sure if I was doing them right but I have never found anything that really hit my inner thigh with proper intensity but the sumo deadlift did just that, I've been waddeling all day.

Then todays workout was shoulders again which was brilliant fun, more hang clean and press, pyramided my way up to 40kg then decided to go for a 1 rep to test the water a bit and managed a good clean 50kg rep :D. After that I went on to military press and upright row.

I'm still building myself up to the power clean, but I'm not really sure what day this should go into? Perhaps legs?

Focusing on just compounds has been really fun and I think I'll keep at this for quite a while.

dun

dun

Soldato
Bulking and cutting is daft and it is simply not necessary these days. Bodybuilding has come a long way since the days of the 80s mentality of bulking and cutting. Bulking and cutting effectively came aroudn owing to AAS anyway.

There is absolutely no need to bulk and gain lots of fat which is effectively all you do. You may retain on a few lbs of muscle but it really isn't worth the effort without special sauce.

If you're a natrual trainer it is more than feasible to do a lean bulk - I 've been doing it for 3 years and it's been doing me well.

The whole bulk/cut cycle is antiquated IMO.

Very true mate. Clean bulking is the way forward. Why look your best for a few days in the year when you can look not that far off all year round? However if you are competing or assisted then off season bulking and cutting pre contest is still the way to go.
On the cardio I have never been a fan. I lift hard 5 days a week and that does me currently.

Soldato
You could have started another thread it's ok. :)

For a start you're trying to bulk up but lose FAT not weight!!! ;)

Secondly, alcohol lowers test levels significantly and your body resources it's time for digesting the alcohol rather than regenerating muscle. 20/30 units is a lot to have! I don't think I even have that much a month!

Nothing wrong with cardio whilst training, just bear in mind that there are different levels of cardio which affect your body in different ways.

Personally I tend to train in the last 2 categories, but I do sometimes do the 1st but in this instance you're not depleting fat efficiently and you could be using muscle tissue as well.

I would certainly think I fall into the last two categories. My HIIT runs involve 30-40 second bursts of 17-20km/h. Although as stated I prefer longer, steady pace runs.

The thing is, what happens if you maintain a steady diet of 4-5 meals a day but simply maintain cardio and weights equally? Surely that's the best of both worlds, thus that you won't bulk up significantly but your muscles will still be growing. If my understand is correct, you'd still be bulking up but at a much slower rate?

Soldato
Haven't touched the gym in about a week and a half due to being spanked around by work and illness and antibiotics. Gonna hit it hard tomorrow after a big meal and try make every muscle cry :p

Well that was terrible :eek:

Feel like I just died a little after that :p

Couldn't do very much really did:

5x5 on 100kg squats
3x5 pull ups
2x10 30kg db shrugs
2x5 25kg db press

literally had no energy and my body seems to have gone backwards a bit due to the illness.. on the plus side it's brought out the muscles in my legs a bit, silver linings etc :o

Soldato
Then todays workout was shoulders again which was brilliant fun, more hang clean and press, pyramided my way up to 40kg then decided to go for a 1 rep to test the water a bit and managed a good clean 50kg rep :D. After that I went on to military press and upright row.

I'm still building myself up to the power clean, but I'm not really sure what day this should go into? Perhaps legs?

Focusing on just compounds has been really fun and I think I'll keep at this for quite a while.

Fantastic! I love clean and press! So satisfying when you explode upwards! Surprised you went on to do military press afterwards though :0 last time I tried that I had to go down from 45kg clean and press to 20kg for just military pressing!

I normally do my power cleans on wednesday, which is back and shoulders day, leg day is on mondays, I do them on wednesday because I like to make it a powerclean -> press which kills me! However I've had a month and a bit off from doing deadlifts, not sure how that will fit in along with powercleans....can I do them on the same day?

edit - just thought about it in my head and deadlifts + powercleans in one day sounds like a recipe for injury!

Last edited:
Associate
Fantastic! I love clean and press! So satisfying when you explode upwards! Surprised you went on to do military press afterwards though :0 last time I tried that I had to go down from 45kg clean and press to 20kg for just military pressing!

I normally do my power cleans on wednesday, which is back and shoulders day, leg day is on mondays, I do them on wednesday because I like to make it a powerclean -> press which kills me! However I've had a month and a bit off from doing deadlifts, not sure how that will fit in along with powercleans....can I do them on the same day?

edit - just thought about it in my head and deadlifts + powercleans in one day sounds like a recipe for injury!

I'm thinking of doing the powercleans on my squats day next week, not sure yet.

And yeh the military presses and the upright rows were lighter than I would have done them had I done them before the Hang clean press, but I like to do them just to finish my shoulders off really with nice slow negatives.

Soldato
Can someone please take a look at my form for squats and overhead press? I'm lifting 92.5kg and 55kg here respectively, and if I recall correctly they were both set 4 of 5.

I'm concerned I'm leaning too far forward when squatting. Should I try to keep my back more upright?

My overhead press was a little shaky, I hadn't lifted that much weight before. In fact I failed on my last set and only managed 4 rep.

Hmm, another thing I've noticed watching the videos back... I'm bending my wrists a lot on the press, I'll make sure to correct that next time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom