Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kai

kai

Soldato
Congratulations :)

Don't expect too much though, that's where most people go wrong and end up giving up because they expect vast noticeable changes quickly.
Once your body is in decent shape it takes far more effort and time to improve it ;)

Yeah totally, i did not expect such big changes so quickly, oviously it is going to plato.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah totally, i did not expect such big changes so quickly, oviously it is going to plato.

Jason?

Chest and triceps tonight...

Not sure if anyones aware, I went to LIDL's last night, they have lucozade sport in 4 packs for £1.95. Plus you get 2 free... so 6 lucozade sports 500ml bottles for £1.95, bargain!

EDIT: These were BOGOF too... 12 bottles for less than £3 as I think they were £1.45.

Last edited:
Soldato
dealifty 110 kg followed by alcohol.. :( not a good session but the volume not badr.

To reitterate on this (drunken) point deadlifted 110kg yeserday for 8 reps (have to use smith machine though :o. Also took a delivery of lots of omega 3 caps, whey powder and milk protein from myprotein.

Not sure if anyones aware, I went to LIDL's last night, they have lucozade sport in 4 packs for £1.95. Plus you get 2 free... so 6 lucozade sports 500ml bottles for £1.95, bargain!

My friends buy them, but do they make in noticable difference in regards to weight training and aren't they just dextrose in water?

Soldato
Haven't touched the gym in about a week and a half due to being spanked around by work and illness and antibiotics. Gonna hit it hard tomorrow after a big meal and try make every muscle cry :p

Soldato

Awesome find! is it always like that? or just an offer? these go well with my long sunday run!

PAz

PAz

Soldato
Bah, my knee is done again. Pushed it over the edge at the last strongman session and then stupidly tried to max squat last Saturday when oddjob was down and that was the final straw. At least we have Bupa & paycare scheme at work so will be sorting physio out this week. At the end of the day its my fault as the knee has been playing up for a few months now but I kept on battling through with lots of icing and 'home care'.

Tongihts session on the other hand was fun;

Bench with chains
BORs
60 Pullups
Overhead press (no more split jerk with the knee :/)

Associate
Beach running is pretty tough to be honest Josh and the beach at Brighton has a steep incline, which makes it good for short sprints up it.

I can imagine, what shoes do you wear for that? Boxing boots must be out... Guessing material based trail running shoes would be best?
We do a 1.2 mile run just to gauge out fitness and see how we're progressing, not too taxing bit of a downhill, a flat then back up the hill.

As to weights, we hardly ever use them. He does whip out the kettle bells when we're doing some circuit training, and with them we usually do bent over rows (alternating arms), a squat-overhead press type whole body movement, and also a movement which is a squat then works the shoulders but swinging it to shoulder height.

They're banging the weights out every time at our place, he gets us doing 2 sets of shoulder press, 2 sets of bicep curls, 2 sets of shoulder flyes and some sort of tricep excersize with them. Would rather just do good old knees to elbows though!

Associate
Bah, my knee is done again. Pushed it over the edge at the last strongman session and then stupidly tried to max squat last Saturday when oddjob was down and that was the final straw. At least we have Bupa & paycare scheme at work so will be sorting physio out this week. At the end of the day its my fault as the knee has been playing up for a few months now but I kept on battling through with lots of icing and 'home care'.

Tongihts session on the other hand was fun;

Bench with chains
BORs
60 Pullups
Overhead press (no more split jerk with the knee :/)

Ouch, sorry to hear that mate, any idea on recovery time?

Soldato
Are you training for professional fights or something? That much weight training seems strange to me also but every coach is different, and the proof is in the pudding as they say. Our club website is absolutely, diabolically bad, but here it is anyway: http://beehive.courier.co.uk/default.asp?WCI=SiteHome&ID=15054&PageID=95465 Our only boxer of real interest is Janie Brashill, a female boxer who has achieved quite a lot at the national level (to the point where there are no real fights for her left in the country). There's a bit about our club at the end of this ABAE newsletter as well, you can download it here: http://www.abae.co.uk/News_Archive/2009/August/News_items/ABAEnews_August_14th.asp (pdf. file) By the way, I'd describe our club as at the casual end of things, so possibly I'm not the best one to comment on stuff like this - although I intend to go as far as I can, personally.

We just use trainers for running on the beach, no ones going to be arsing about spending money on extra pairs of shoes just for that. Running is probably the best way to raise your fitness if you ask me. I got woken up by my drunken housemates as about 4:30 last Saturday early morning and couldn't get back to sleep so I went and ran about 8 miles flat out, almost killed me but the next sparring session felt like a complete walk in the park, I didn't even get out of breath :D

As a side note I weighed myself at 70Kgs today, so I've lost 4-5 over the past two weeks. Christ knows how or where it's coming off though, I'm eating a lot more carbs as well :confused:

Edit: watched the De La Hoya Vs. Pacquiao fight today from last year - what the hell was De La Hoya thinking??? A 35 year old well past his prime against the best of the best? The fight should have been stopped a couple of rounds sooner if you ask me, he was getting battered.

Last edited:
Associate
Heh better than our website , some of the coaches had a bit of a bust up and gone their seperate ways. At the minute we've got a really high standard of coaching right up to the pro level but no matchmaker and hardly anything on the business end of things (as witnessed the other day when the owner went and spent £500 on a set of scales) .

Soldato
Haha, nice use of money :p

I'm not completely up on the workings of our gym to be honest, we get people coming in from time to time with the coach to check out the boxers, I assume he's sorting matches and prospects or whatever but I don't really care, I just train. Although I think our head coach missed his calling, he could have made an ace salesman :D He apparently 'negotiated' a deal with a local gear supplier for us, so we can now get some really top gear like Reyes lace up sparring gloves for about 40 quid less than they are listed on somewhere like SugarRays, also having club gear with the club name and your name on while you're cycling to the gym makes you feel kind of cool :D Everyone looks :D

Soldato
Maybe an odd question but, im currently dieting ive lost just over a stone in near enough 3 weeks hoping that it keeps down and i keep on going, whats the the average mans waist im worried that after all this effort and dropping 3 stone or so that ill still have big hips due to my bone structure any indication as to what i can expect would be great.

Man of Honour
OP
Maybe an odd question but, im currently dieting ive lost just over a stone in near enough 3 weeks hoping that it keeps down and i keep on going, whats the the average mans waist im worried that after all this effort and dropping 3 stone or so that ill still have big hips due to my bone structure any indication as to what i can expect would be great.

How long's a piece of string?! IT really does depend on height, weight, genetics, bone structure etc...

Caporegime
Last night I was on the bench and there were two other guys in the free weights area.

One said to the other: I hate it when its busy, to which his buddy said 'this isn't busy mate', but I thought well why don't you **** off then. Made me angry hearing this guy obviously complaining about me being there. Probably cause I was pressing 2 x 12 dumbells that he thought I had no right or something.

Glad I didn't mouth off though as they'd have probably thrown me against the mirror or something equally macho!

Soldato
Last night I was on the bench and there were two other guys in the free weights area.

One said to the other: I hate it when its busy, to which his buddy said 'this isn't busy mate', but I thought well why don't you **** off then. Made me angry hearing this guy obviously complaining about me being there. Probably cause I was pressing 2 x 12 dumbells that he thought I had no right or something.

Glad I didn't mouth off though as they'd have probably thrown me against the mirror or something equally macho!

Sounds like a right ****.

I get a bit paranoid now and again as I'm only pushing light weights compared to most, if not all the other fellas in the free weights area. I just try and blank everyone out by cranking the music up on my iPod but it doesn't help that I'm quite an observant person by nature. I sometimes struggle to focus.

Caporegime
I don't listen to music when lifting as I like to communicate with people if possible as I might learn some tips etc. To be fair it was only my warm up set but I still lift a pathetic amount compared to 90% of other guys at my gym. What gets me is when a 14 year old strolls in and grabs the 20s! To be weaker than a 14 year old being in my mid 20s, not right :p!

Soldato
No, take a week off

You should take a week off every 6-8 weeks, or when your body tells you too. You won't shrink in a week
Good call, I feel so much better already and I'm preparing myself for next week. Begin fasting for 15 hours - I feel prepared mentally. We'll see how I fair physically!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom