Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Thus it depends on your goals. If you are training to improve times and fitness and not concerned with weight then a healthy carb protein combo will help after exercise whatever time it is. If you are after weight loss then either nothing of a very low cal protein shake type option would be best. And if your after muscle growth, stop bloody running! It eats muscle!

I've read a few similar things to this about running affecting the way the muscle develops (due to running being endurance based exercise rather than strength based IIIRC) is it suggested to not run as much then if I want to increase mass in my legs? (I used to run at least 3 times a week a few months ago, recently it's dwindled to once a fortnight and a few 10 minutes sessions postworkout).

Man of Honour
OP
It's about intensity. Sprinters run lots every day - but they're not skinny, look at Linford Christie! You can lose fat and keep fitness up, but running long distance isn't one of them unless you like it. It's quite possible to use up surplus fat stores running, but at the right intensity. There will always be some muscle atrophy with cardio to a certain extent even HIIT, but it's a balance, and it's hard to get right, but it's possible.

I, personally, am not a fan of running, but rowing and swimming as well as basketball and squash I love. In winter rugby keeps my fitness levels up rather nicely too.

Soldato
'ello,

Thought I'd post some stats.. currently at 67KG 5ft 10" and apparently 9% BF.

I want to reduce my BF and am guessing the best approach will be to lose the fat and then start packing on the muscle?

Also, was curious to know if working out your abs increases belly fat lose?

Man of Honour
'ello,

Thought I'd post some stats.. currently at 67KG 5ft 10" and apparently 9% BF.

I want to reduce my BF and am guessing the best approach will be to lose the fat and then start packing on the muscle?

Also, was curious to know if working out your abs increases belly fat lose?

If you really are at 9% bf I'd recommend packing on muscle rather which will decrese your bf% rather than actively trying to loose more fat, and no you can not spot reduce fat with specific exercises

Soldato
Today's boxing training: beach sprints... hurray for living in Brighton -.-

A right pain in the arse, literally, my glutes are killing me, I think I overextended on my left side :( Have to do some proper stretching this evening.

Soldato
Both my body and mind feel like giving in. Squatting 3 times a week is really starting to kill me. I was expecting to hit failure near 1.5X BW @ 107.5KG but I've somehow kept going. I did 130KG today and on 4 sets I didn't think I was going to make it. I some how managed to do it.

My t-shirt was absolutely soaked by end of today's session. I feel really bummed out.

How do you guys deal with mental/physical plateau?? Just keep at it?

Soldato
No no it's good! But if you're using scales it's not going to be correct.

My scales say I'm 20% bf, and to be honest I'm probably not that far off at a guess. 24, 6ft 2, 34 waist, 87kg, podgy.

Will be posting up a log of my progress over the next 5 weeks before my uni-grads holiday to turkey. 5 weeks to burn off my love handles and belly with 3/4 HIIT per week along with x2 weights sessions and one sorted diet.

HIIT hurts soo much, first one today after 2 weeks of sun, sea, sex, wine, more wine, and BBqs from France :D

Caporegime
Could someone comment on my diet (below)?

One year ago I got married and looked ok. Not muscley or particularly lean, just ok and I was happy with how I looked in the photos. I've since put on 5Kg and on my holiday this year, I was not happy with how I looked. So yesterday I went back to the gym for my first weights session in a year. The weights were light and I did a full body workout with an aim to getting past the stiffness stage asap. I will next week begin a 2 day split based on push and pull or upper / lower body, not sure which yet.

I'm 5'11" and 85Kg. My goal is to look lean and fairly muscular but not 'bear-like' if that makes sense. I have 11 months before a load of us go on holiday to Greece and that's my motivation, having a respectable body for the beach.

This is what I have eaten / will eat today - what do you think of my diet? Any comments and criticisms appreciated.

dietlog1.jpg

dietlog2.jpg

dietlog3.jpg

I know you may think correctly that the calories are too low, but I really struggle to eat volumes of this kind of healthy food. Eating things like cottage cheese and brown rice really kills my appetite for some reason!

This is roughly how I look now. The actual photo was a year and a half ago but I'm not far off that now with maybe slightly more podge around the gut.

90882104lm1.jpg

Associate
Today's boxing training: beach sprints... hurray for living in Brighton -.-

Sounds like your coach has been watching Rocky 3 ;)
Do they do any weights at your boxing Makunouchi? I think we're doing a bit too much at ours, since some of us are in the gym 4+ days it's getting to be a bit of a bitch.

Also; just noticed powerhouse fitness have took 'summer09' off. Now it's 5% off lifefitness cardio machines... fantastic :rolleyes:

Soldato
God I'm so tired I can hardly type. It was like the first time all over again, I don't think I've ever worked so hard.

Beach running is pretty tough to be honest Josh and the beach at Brighton has a steep incline, which makes it good for short sprints up it. Although he had us running a couple of miles along it last week which was very uncomfortable, as it's large pebbles and rocks and makes it easy to stumble, although it does force you to focus on your footing.

As to weights, we hardly ever use them. He does whip out the kettle bells when we're doing some circuit training, and with them we usually do bent over rows (alternating arms), a squat-overhead press type whole body movement, and also a movement which is a squat then works the shoulders but swinging it to shoulder height. I don't know the proper terms for any of them. As it's all geared towards amateur boxing and not professional we do a lot more punching drills focusing on speed and endurance, rather than developing brute strength, so we never do a weight routine as such. I also struggle with fitting in weights and my own workouts at home with the boxing days as I never want to compromise my boxing performance due to something I've done myself the previous day. Because of this I hardly ever get to do squats anymore.
Also as I think I said before our coach likes to go heavy on the sparring, which I agree with as there's nothing better to develop your boxing than actually boxing.

Also - today I watched all three Gatti vs. Ward fights.... my god, just simply amazing. I've never seen such iron will and desire to continue to fight. If you can find some way to get hold of them, do. The last fights was so emotional, Gatti broke his right hand in the 4th and still continued to throw it all the way to victory after 10 rounds, unbelievable.
Also worth a watch are the three Pacquiao vs. Morales fights which I re-watched yesterday. I've never liked Morales personally but he does know how to take a punch, and Pacquiao... well, a legend in the making (or already made).

kai

kai

Soldato
I cant believe how much my body shape has changed in the space of 4 weeks, training every night (except weekend) cardio and weights a strict diet and supplements, body feels pumped all the time, i cant imaging the changes in 6 months :)

Soldato
I cant believe how much my body shape has changed in the space of 4 weeks, training every night (except weekend) cardio and weights a strict diet and supplements, body feels pumped all the time, i cant imaging the changes in 6 months :)

Congratulations :)

Don't expect too much though, that's where most people go wrong and end up giving up because they expect vast noticeable changes quickly.
Once your body is in decent shape it takes far more effort and time to improve it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom