Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
but the exercise is about working the chest, not 'how to position yourself on your own'.

you have to remember that you dont want to go too far with ROM when db pressing, too far can cause damage.
also, why do something slightly risky when you can have someone help you?

one more thing, starting from the bottom is actually very hard, more so than lowering to the same position then pressing ;]

Valid points.

I was just sharing my opinions on the area.

I agree if pressing very heavy dumbells getting them up on your own can be very difficult. However surely it's better to be handed both dumbells at once by two spotters, than boost one up yourself and lye there with your arm at full extension? waiting for the other, placing unnecesary stress on your joints, which I quite often see people doing.

Yup, starting from the bottom is hard which is why I like to start my presses from there :)

Last edited:
I've had a fail on my incline DB press, after coming back to the gym. Tried 32s, put on knees, raised them to shoulder level but I just couldn't get them up no matter how hard I tried.
So I went down to 30s, struggled to get the right one up and with some inhuman effort managed to get the left one as well. Did 10 reps with perfect form. surely I would have managed my desired 6 on the first set, if I could have just lifted them up...

I find it fairly easy to get them to shoulder level, but after that the first rep is so damn hard without a spotter. :(

Not sure how often people comment on over training here but it is easy to over train and there is lots of knowledge to back it up, again this depends on what actual training people doing to state this. But for Body building there can be a fine line when it comes to over training especially if diet is of concern.

Whats your stats dude, age/height/bf% and what food your eating.

I'm 21, anywhere within 86.25-86.75kg depending on time of day, just 6ft and I don't guess BF and have never had it tested but there are a few pictures of me in the pic thread. I eat whatever I can, mainly chicken, eggs, long grain rice, but also 2 meals the same as my parents which is normally a meat sandwich around dinner time and a cooked "roast" tea.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=14792162&postcount=1690
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=14608306&postcount=1474
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=14449643&postcount=1327

Joined the local LA fitness today as the nights are drawing in and it's soo easy to give up on bothering with a session at home outside.

Quite a big free weights area, lots of machines, only let down being the old Concept 2 model C rowers that every muppet in there seems to put on resistance 10 then fly up and down the slide doing everything with their arms :p

Progress updates will come in, got a few pics atm might get them up this evening as a reference :D

Nothing wrong with the level ten setting. Simulating real rowing isn't the reason I use Concept 2, it's for the maximum fullbody cardio workout available.

Of course I push with my legs and use the back slightly, THEN pull with the biceps. Many people indeed seem to do all kinds of funky things with their knees and arms when using the rowers, quite amusing to watch actually.

Hi there, thats a lot of fats. 2 days off in a year is not good. This could be the cause of your weight not improving, maybe your overtraining?

Not sure you your stats but id most defiantly up the protein to around 350 and lower the fat. Id keep the shake to 1 per day and add more food instead of the 2 extra shakes.

No way does he need 350g of protein. No one does. It's excessive and puts unnecessary strain on the kidneys and the body in general. There is just no need for so much.

Nothing wrong with the level ten setting. Simulating real rowing isn't the reason I use Concept 2, it's for the maximum fullbody cardio workout available.

Of course I push with my legs and use the back slightly, THEN pull with the biceps. Many people indeed seem to do all kinds of funky things with their knees and arms when using the rowers, quite amusing to watch actually.

Some people really can't manage level 10 and should decrease the level though, that tends to be when people do these half rows etc. I tend to use level 10 setting although it doesn't make a huge amount of difference from level 8-7, now my powered rower at home, that thing would be impossible at full resistance :eek:.

More or less how I row. My brother had rowed for his University team and I've been lucky enough to be taught the proper form for rowing.

I see people stretching right foward, and effectivley pivoting from the hips and using the arms to row entirely. Others I see having rowed with their arms twice before having even extended their legs once!

Push with the legs, keeping your back a little bit off upright, finish the movement with your arms. I can finish the movement with just my fingers on the bar, thats how little I use my arms. Drive with the legs.

A chap came and got on the rower next to me. I'd been rowing for 40 minutes and covered just short of 10KM. He was beasting it, out of breath and about 15 seconds slower on his split time than me due to poor technique. I carried on and completed all 14.5KM. Legs like jelly at the end:p absolutley love rowing :)

Last edited:
I'm 21, anywhere within 86.25-86.75kg depending on time of day, just 6ft and I don't guess BF and have never had it tested but there are a few pictures of me in the pic thread. I eat whatever I can, mainly chicken, eggs, long grain rice, but also 2 meals the same as my parents which is normally a meat sandwich around dinner time and a cooked "roast" tea.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=14792162&postcount=1690
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=14608306&postcount=1474
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=14449643&postcount=1327

You basically just described my eating habits there.

i dont get why people moan about people using level 10. i dont care for the '7 is the equivalent of water' argument tbh!

It gives a level playing field to compare times (peen :D) and is the recommended settings to use.

But being a ex-rower I can see why others don't give 2 hoots ;)

Especially when they loop there arms up and down over their already bent knees. Some people are lucky not to injure themselves.

It gives a level playing field to compare times (peen :D) and is the recommended settings to use.

But being a ex-rower I can see why others don't give 2 hoots ;)

exactly, its a recommended setting for those who want to compare times to other people or possibly water times. for anyone who doesnt give a damn about that, it makes no difference.
otherwise, why not just have a single setting :p

also, a setting only really matters for comparison when the machines are serviced properly as no doubt usage will make a difference to just how much resistance is given ;]

I've noticed that quite a few of you guys front squat as well as back squatting, why is this? Does anyone front squat instead of back squatting? If so why?

I guess I'm asking what the advantages of front squatting are? What does front squatting target that back squatting doesn't, and visa versa.

I'm thinking of front squatting rather than back squatting because I've read that it targets your quads more, and I'm a cyclist. Also I've read that it helps develop abs more than back squats and, being 19, I am vain. Would I be missing out any important muscle groups for general development by only front squatting?

Anyone?

Got my bulk phase all planned out and will be ready to go the end of the month:)
Will be keeping my calories clean and lean bulking for a good while rather than bulking then cutting as i dont feel thats the best way to go about it.

Sample diet for this will be:

Wake - 30g whey protein powder in water

Breakfast 6.30am - Porridge: 60g oats + 150ml skimmed milk + tbsp dried fruit + tbsp ground linseeds
6 x liquid egg whites 200ml fresh fruit juice

8.30am 80g chicken breast

100g low fat natural yoghurt

Item fruit

Handful mixed nuts & seeds

Drink water

11.30am Shake: 60g oats + 30g whey protein powder in water

Handful mixed nuts

Item fruit

Drink water

Lunch 1.30pm 120g tuna / mackerel / salmon

Mixed salad + tbsp sunflower seeds

3 oatcakes / 2 rye crispbread

Drink water

4.30pm Shake: 60g oats + 30g whey protein powder in water

Handful mixed nuts

Item fruit

Drink water

30 mins pre workou - 200g cottage cheese

1 oatcake

Item fruit

Drink water

Immediately pre workout 20g whey protein in water + 3 g beta alanine

During workout 5g BCAA powder in water (sipped)

Immediately post workout 40g whey protein powder + 40g Vitargo + 2g beta alanine

Evening Meal 45 mins later 150g chicken breast or 150g white fish

30g basmati rice / couscous or small sweet potato or 2-3 small boiled new potatoes Loads of veg

Drink water

Bedtime 250g cottage cheese / quark

Drink water

and a day from my training program:

Leg estensions - 5x 12, 10, 8, 8, 6
Leg Press - 5x 12, 10, 8, 8, 6
Squats - 6x10
Seated calf raises 4x12
Standing calf raises 5x10

Looking forward to it actually, i like the more volume and think its going to be a good routine:)

also, a setting only really matters for comparison when the machines are serviced properly as no doubt usage will make a difference to just how much resistance is given ;]

Was hoping you wouldn't menation that, but resistence 10 + lots of dust = :eek:

I can't remember which page but I asked for advice regarding how I couldn't do dumbbell rows properly. Anyway, I just want to say thanks to whoever it was that offered the advice but I've lowered the weight completely and now feel the difference. I was just lifting too heavy and not isolating the back enough. :) I've also done the same with my pulldowns and feel the effect. :)

No way does he need 350g of protein. No one does. It's excessive and puts unnecessary strain on the kidneys and the body in general. There is just no need for so much.

You need to do more research, rule of thumb is 1.5-2g Protein per lb of body weight when body building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom