Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to do more research, rule of thumb is 1.5-2g Protein per lb of body weight when body building.

No offence, but I have more than a clue about this sort of thing.

Firstly it's LEAN body mass, furthermore, whilst I did say no one, that was a bit of an exaggeration, the big mass monsters such as coleman, dexter and cutler undoubtedly do need that much.

Furthermore, 1.5-2g per LB of LBM is not necessary for most people. 0.6-1g is more than enough.

Excessive protein that isn't synthesised by your body is doing you more harm than good if you continue it for long periods of time.

Over the past year I've dropped my protein intake yet I've made strength and size gains, and it's helped body composition too.

Please don't spout regurgitated rubbish - and please realise that I'm not some n00b and have been in the game long enough to know what I'm talking about.

can't be assed so:

lean body mass, not total mass.

While ff was a little wrong in saying no one, there are a few bigger people that can get away with it, there aren't many people in here that need that much at all.

I honestly doubt there is anyone on this board that needs that much, bar perhaps you and Tank who carry enough LBM to possibly warrant it.

There's been extensive research into this over the past couple of years and whilst protein is undoubtedly essential for building mass, excessive protein whilst offering lots of mass, will not be the ideal way to do it. Absolutely if you want to get lots of mass for a while, then yes, cool - lots of protein. However optimal protein synthesis declines if you're too low and once you get to high - there is a bell curve and you're wasting unnecessary resources.

The guidelines of 1.5-2g is now a little skewed as a result.

By not consuming excessive protein, your body can focus on burning fat for example, for fuel instead of the excess protein which is why more and more training programs consider more of a "build and burn" type of program.

I try to consume about 20g in 5 meals throughout the day and add a separate 30g serving immediately after my workouts to ensure full muscle-protein synthesis when I need it the most.

30g per meal is about all your body can cope with at one time for optimal protein synthesis in terms of a ratio. The protein synthesis increases by a tine percentage up to about 40g, but the difference is negligible, and unnecessary to strain your body like that.

It's completely re-evaluated my thinking. And for the better I have to say! Although I'm at 222lbs I consume about 150g and it does me good.

Wondering if someone can help me out!

Just started going the gym and after a work out using the machines, my arms are always shakeing? Which doesnt stop for a good 20-30 mins after.

Am fairly confident what am doing, is the correct way, but would like some advice! :)

Machines that i've been using...ermm...am not even sure on the names :| haha

But they've all work the arm/shoulders.

Just started going the gym and after a work out using the machines, my arms are always shakeing? Which doesnt stop for a good 20-30 mins after.

Am fairly confident what am doing, is the correct way, but would like some advice! :)

Lat pull down ?

A bar held with a wide grip in a YMCA fashion, then you sit down and pull it to just infront the front of your neck?

If you're arms are fully relaxed does it stop? I find after doing some inner leg adduction, just trying to put my thighs together makes my legs shake uncontrolably. Same if I've done mega calf work and try to shift weight onto my toes, a full on muscle spazam.

Normally I wouldn't say it was bad but I'm not clued up. Possibly over training if it were to happen a day or so after as that can be the bodys way of telling you to chill the **** out!

i've used that, but not pulling the bar infront, bringing it just on top of my shoulder. Behind the neck.

i'll try and describe the other machines ha.

sat down, push the weight up with your legs and then taking the weight with arms and then pushing outwards

sat up with push the weight up above

and a think the other machine is an Arm curler? haha that even right?

Noob to the gym!

If you're arms are fully relaxed does it stop? I find after doing some inner leg adduction, just trying to put my thighs together makes my legs shake uncontrolably. Same if I've done mega calf work and try to shift weight onto my toes, a full on muscle spazam.

Normally I wouldn't say it was bad but I'm not clued up. Possibly over training if it were to happen a day or so after as that can be the bodys way of telling you to chill the **** out!

Yeah when there relaxed it does go :)

give me some motivation tips to get to gym regular once more I keep going but I'm only managing once or twice a week, just can't get my head in the right place.

Yeah when there relaxed it does go :)

I think its just exhausted muscles. When squeezing the last few reps out people's arms/legs or limbs that are being worked will shake. I think it's just a sign you've pushed it to the max! however if this persists I'm not sure how good/bad it is. You might find it fades as your muscular endurance increases. Lots of water and vegetables with your protein too! Sleep like a baby as well!
I'll let someone more knowledgable answer properly :)

give me some motivation tips to get to gym regular once more I keep going but I'm only managing once or twice a week, just can't get my head in the right place.

Say please.

Only you can motivate yourself to go. Your the only one that can kick yourself up the arse. Not anybody sat god knows where in the world the otherside of the screen. If you want it, you'll go. Simple as.

You've only yourself to disappoint when you look in the mirror and don't like what you see.

And keep your back straight, no leaning back;).

On the topic of bad form I saw something quite hilarious whilst training this afternoon. Somebody I've never seen before who must have been about my age 20 or so.

Don's his lifting belt and heads straight for the 45's. Barely capable of shrugging them he makes a good effort of moving his shoulders round in what looked to be very painful circles.

Followed by DB rows which looked like he was just trying to give the DB he seed. There was that little ROM and that much jerking. From behind he looked like he was having a hand party!

He also some attempted some single arm standing DB military press, that didn't go too well either.

And his finale was some 1/4 rep hammer grip chins.

Fairplay to him though for attempting something different. Just a shame he had some of the worst form I've ever seen!

Guy in the office was talking to me, turns out he is taking creatine, but doesn't train. He thinks he will put on muscle. I'm shocked how little he knew. I obviously put him straight.

Guy in the office was talking to me, turns out he is taking creatine, but doesn't train. He thinks he will put on muscle. I'm shocked how little he knew. I obviously put him straight.

Yea, I find it shocking how little some people know who actually train, I am by no means an expert, but some of the people I talk to at the gym obviously have no idea what they are doing or why :(

One thing I find really annoying is when (fat-ish) people say something like, "how come you eat more than me and still stay looking fit and healthy, it's not fair..." argh, erm, maybe because I have a nice clean diet, and i work damn hard, and don't eat burgers and chip and sit watching tv 7 days a week?! /rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom