Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
my lower back does not like that idea at all.
this is probably made worse by the fact that I train shoulders a day after back and its as sore as it can be.

I mean I can do 8 reps with 30kg dumbbells stead, and about the same with a 50 kg barbell while standing.
Seated, it's a whole different story.

Don't like standing shoulder press. Seems to put a lot of pressure on my lower back and completely hinders my lifting. Don't think I've ever push pressed more than 70kg for a few reps standing so a normal shoulder press would be pointless weight.

I know what you're saying, I used to do a lot of seated military pressing and found my core muscles were not benefiting from this at all. Since starting stiff leg good mornings months ago, I have found my lower back to get a lot more stronger and my hamstrings, and this gave me the confidence without a belt to do standing military press. So far I have made great gains not as good as my seated stuff but edging closer to my personal best:)

HAVING to do seated shoulder work just shows how weak you core is and overall how weak you are as a unit. Someting is only as strong as its weakest part. Ive been doing sldl's good mornings and weighted hyperextensions as long as i have been training, and guess what? My lower back doesnt hurt ever. Stop being nancy's

The ONLY advantage to the crossover grip, is that it's easier to perform, which is not a good reason to employ that method.

Surely the fact that it is easier should make it the more obvious choice.
You want to be concentrating 100% on the task at hand, everything you do should be making that exercise as beneficial as possible.

If something is easier, then do it the easy way, that way your concentration is on the lift itself, not the way you position the bar or keep it there.

What was that website where you can plot everything on graphs daily, set goals, choose foods, and see their nutritional values.

Used it a month or so ago, but cannot remeber its name for the life of me ?

I'm quite happy with my core strength thanks and why would I want to do considerably less weight standing?

If your core strength was up to par there would be very little difference in your ability to press standing vs seated, i can get about 5kg more seated which is about 4-5% my 1rm, which i call insignificant. Im in no way saying that DOING seated work is wrong, im not an idiot, but what you are doing is creating an imbalance in your physique that could lead to injury.

Lower back injury's are best avoided by having a strong core, if you cant shift near enough your own bodyweight in a standing press then you are NOT strong no matter how much you press. Strength is about more than one muscles ability to move a weight, it is about the bodies ability as a whole to handle heavy loads.

Im not saying your totally wrong, or trying to preach my opinions as scripture, but i do urge you to strengthen your core and work on your standing press or else you are doing yourself a disservice.

I currently squat 3 times a week on Mondays, Wednesdays (Zerchers ;)) and Fridays. I also do weighted hypers and ab work on Mondays, deadlift after my squats on Wednesdays and do more ab work on Friday.

I can assure you my problem with standing shoulder press is not core related :)

For seated military press I was banging out 120 kilos for 5 reps and standing military press at the moment 90 kilos for 5 reps, so I'm getting there and feeling stronger for it.

For seated military press I was banging out 120 kilos for 5 reps and standing military press at the moment 90 kilos for 5 reps, so I'm getting there and feeling stronger for it.

:eek:

I'm off to the gym straight after the footy today, can't wait to do my standing military press of 24kg :(:D

Now I see why you are called tank, is your middle name sherman, or possibly challenger ?

I had a bosh at DB shoulder press today for the first time in about 3 months. Had been doing standing Military for 10 weeks for GVT and just contiued to do so scince. Didn't like it one bit. I found the whole exercise uncomfortable and annoying. Standing 4tw.

Seated Military Press I might have a stab at next time.

:eek:

I'm off to the gym straight after the footy today, can't wait to do my standing military press of 24kg :(:D

Now I see why you are called tank, is your middle name sherman, or possibly challenger ?

24kg military press, awwwwwwwwwwwwwww bless you -Ad-:D.

Surely the fact that it is easier should make it the more obvious choice.
You want to be concentrating 100% on the task at hand, everything you do should be making that exercise as beneficial as possible.

If something is easier, then do it the easy way, that way your concentration is on the lift itself, not the way you position the bar or keep it there.

What allows me to concentrate on the task at hand, is knowing that the barbell won't fall off my shoulders ;).

Presumably then you're in the seated shoulder press camp? As this allows you to lift more weight, which will work your shoulders more, which after all is what you're trying to achieve in the shoulder press.

What allows me to concentrate on the task at hand, is knowing that the barbell won't fall off my shoulders ;).

Presumably then you're in the seated shoulder press camp? As this allows you to lift more weight, which will work your shoulders more, which after all is what you're trying to achieve in the shoulder press.

cross grip wont make the barbell more likely to fall. poor form during your rep will, or too much weight, which lets be honest, will affect any.

As for shoulder press, it depends on what my aim is. If i want to soley work my shoulders then I will sit down. If i want to use some explosive power and give the core a bit of work then I will stand.
If i want to give my shoulders a blasting then I'll do HC2PP.

Also, since when did seated allow for more weight? the back rest restrains you from using more of your body, meaning less weight.

:p

cross grip wont make the barbell more likely to fall. poor form during your rep will

Yes and I'm saying that poor form resulting in the weight sliding forwards and the back not arching properly, is more likely to occur in the cross arm grip than the clean grip.

From what I've experienced, the clean grip also encourages the chest to stay higher and is therefore less likely to put strain on the lower back.

Also, since when did seated allow for more weight? the back rest restrains you from using more of your body, meaning less weight.

I can't answer that except to tell you that I'm not alone (read the last couple of pages discussing it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom