Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Except that the weight is less likely to fall off your shoulders.

If it is then you...

a. Don't have your elbows high enough
b. Are bending too far forwards so the weight is falling forwards
c. Don't have the bar in the correct position.

(any combination of above)

In theory you should be able to do front squats with your arms straight out in front of you if you have the above 3 fixed.

Try standing!

my lower back does not like that idea at all.
this is probably made worse by the fact that I train shoulders a day after back and its as sore as it can be.

I mean I can do 8 reps with 30kg dumbbells stead, and about the same with a 50 kg barbell while standing.
Seated, it's a whole different story.

If it is then you...

a. Don't have your elbows high enough
b. Are bending too far forwards so the weight is falling forwards
c. Don't have the bar in the correct position.

(any combination of above)

In theory you should be able to do front squats with your arms straight out in front of you if you have the above 3 fixed.

Yes but in practice, which is what matters, it's easier to ensure that the barbell is stable using a clean grip. In my very humble no-mass-on-legs opinion :p.

Yes but in practice, which is what matters, it's easier to ensure that the barbell is stable using a clean grip. In my very humble no-mass-on-legs opinion :p.

I actually disagree. From my own experience (so others might not get the same) I have found that holding in the clean grip too long burns my tris out.

also, the bar across the shoulders in a clean grip doesnt sit as right as it down xover.

xover grip is a lot more stable for me :]

15 minutes cross trainer (mainly for cardio and to get me in the mood and warm up)

3 x 50 x 65KG + 25 x 72.5KG Ab press machine (abs)
3 x 25 perfect ab bench thing (abs)
3 x 15 x 8KG dumbbell curl (biceps)
3 x 15 x 10KG (Bent over dumbell rows) (back)
3 x 15 x 10KG (tricep kickbacks) (triceps)
3 x 10 x 20KG shoulder press thing (shoulders)

Rich

No leg work?
No chest work?
1 Back exercise? (lots of muscles there!)
Too much ab work!
None of the big 3? (Deadlift, bench, squat)

Read the sticky and give gordy's 3 day split a shot. And dont worry, your not your get huge over night.

I actually disagree. From my own experience (so others might not get the same) I have found that holding in the clean grip too long burns my tris out.

also, the bar across the shoulders in a clean grip doesnt sit as right as it down xover.

Yes mate, I think it is for most people. But I'm fed up trying to convince rob.
No leg work?
No chest work?
1 Back exercise? (lots of muscles there!)
Too much ab work!
None of the big 3? (Deadlift, bench, squat)

Read the sticky and give gordy's 3 day split a shot. And dont worry, your not your get huge over night.
This

Yes mate, I think it is for most people. But I'm fed up trying to convince rob.

I'm not the only one that believes this you know!

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-front-squat-with-proper-technique.

Do it properly folks ;).

The ONLY advantage to the crossover grip, is that it's easier to perform, which is not a good reason to employ that method.

Last edited:
Do any of those Olympic lifters have physiques you aspire to? I know they don't for me, yet the only picture on that site you linked of a bodybuilder has him doing it cross over...

i agree with Pigeon killer, shoulder press should be done (safety wise) seated due to the pressure on lower back (even if you don't feel it, give it time) One incorrect lift can put your mid and upper back out for months.

I prefer standing shoulder press. My back feels like it is actively working to keep straight, where as seated it slumps and I am reliant on the chair. It is also difficult for me to keep a straight back when seated, compared to standing. :)

Do any of those Olympic lifters have physiques you aspire to? I know they don't for me, yet the only picture on that site you linked of a bodybuilder has him doing it cross over...

Not so much the physique, but then I've never been totally focused on physique, but I certainly aspire to their power. It's amazing.

Don't like standing shoulder press. Seems to put a lot of pressure on my lower back and completely hinders my lifting. Don't think I've ever push pressed more than 70kg for a few reps standing so a normal shoulder press would be pointless weight.

Squeeze your glutes when you do it then. This will stop your lower back from rounding and also help with your lift

I certainly prefer the standing press over and above the seated

Squeeze your glutes when you do it then. This will stop your lower back from rounding and also help with your lift

Mmm even squeezing the glutes when getting to heavy weights and keeping the form VERY strict, to not put even a little pressure on your lower back is quite difficult

Not so much the physique, but then I've never been totally focused on physique, but I certainly aspire to their power. It's amazing.
I agree, their power is absolutely insane.

I have never got on with standing as it puts way too much pressure on my lower back. I think its due to having to lean back slightly more than you should because of shoulder inflexibility (and look where that got me).
Guys you can probably all learning something from this:

http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=42890

What the hells he on about mate? Some seriously good form on that curl though.

Guys you can probably all learning something from this:

http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=42890

I go to the gym because i aspire a physique just like his :p

I have never got on with standing as it puts way too much pressure on my lower back. I think its due to having to lean back slightly more than you should because of shoulder inflexibility (and look where that got me).

Funny that iv never gotten on with the seated, i find i arch my back of the rest too much, i just get a better feel all round with the standing way, each to there own :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom