Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to the docs today about my ankle....Apparently I've torn a ligament :p

So I guess I need to take thing's easy for a few weeks =/.....May as well be starting from the beginning again!

:( at least you can still do excersizes which don't involve your legs/ankles.

I had my first session after a 2 week holiday the other day - decided to do a bit of everything this was on Sunday and I still have DOMS in several places which is a good sign :D

:( at least you can still do excersizes which don't involve your legs/ankles.

I had my first session after a 2 week holiday the other day - decided to do a bit of everything this was on Sunday and I still have DOMS in several places which is a good sign :D

I guess.....Just seems silly training my upper body when my legs will be neglected. :(

Better than nothing I guess.

EDIT: Ugh, can't sit here all day, have to do some exercises....hah

Last edited:
This question might suit another thread but it'll sub me to the new thread anyhow.

Its been asked before but what do u use to flavour your protein shakes? I've got the choice of getting pre-flavoured or unflavoured. Apparently its better value with unflavoured but is it when u factor in the cost of flavouring it (buying nesquik?) and the added bother?

I would only have 1 shake a day so I shouldn't get sick of it. I didn't when I had a chocolate flavoured 2.25kg tub. I'm buying 10Kg from www.yourwhey.co.uk since the owner is my cousin and I'm getting a deal.

I know a few of you have the Powertec rack - have any of yours had problems with the pull up/ chin up grips?

Both my grips have ripped from twisting - I guess from doing wide grip pull ups , seems unusual for something that should be quite heavyweight, have only had it for a few months too :confused:

ive been workin out 3 times a week lately, more compound movements... but I feel as though i could do much more, plus i tend to let my diet slip a little on the days im not lifting as i dont have quite the same ammount of motivation

could anyone spec me a routine for a 5/6day workout?

current:

back/biceps
chest/tri
legs/shoulders

I'm wanting to improve my weight loss, and improve muscle tone.

What's holding me back is my diet and when I'm eating. Can you point me to a good site/forum for me to register and read?

I do a lot of C.V. exercise and some weights so I need certain foods for energy. Looking at my shopping tonight, I do eat very healthily, but whta I am eating does contain a fair bit of carbs in my evening meals, of which I normally eat after the gym/football at about 8:00pm which is too late!

Link away prople, and thanks in advance.

I'm wanting to improve my weight loss, and improve muscle tone.

What's holding me back is my diet and when I'm eating. Can you point me to a good site/forum for me to register and read?

I do a lot of C.V. exercise and some weights so I need certain foods for energy. Looking at my shopping tonight, I do eat very healthily, but whta I am eating does contain a fair bit of carbs in my evening meals, of which I normally eat after the gym/football at about 8:00pm which is too late!

Link away prople, and thanks in advance.

This.

Honestly, file through the pages and you'll see there are loads of good threads that will apply, or use the search. Anything by wanton, freefaller, ultra extreme will definitely be good advice.

The info you seek is right under your nose!

Hey, I have been gym-ing about a month now, my biceps, thighs and stomach are all awesome. But can never get the same burn or growth in my triceps, back or chest.

My gym is a little limited but I've been trying to do lots more with dumbbells than machines but I really can't lift great weights on them as yet. Like I dumbbell bench press with a 10 in each hand and feel nothing in my chest, even concentrating really hard on form, is it just a case of increasing the weight as I can and my arms get stronger?

My routine usually consists of:
5-10minutes bike to warm up
20-25 minutes jog at 12 km/h with a 5% gradient or 0% depends how I'm feeling
row as fast as I can for 10 minutes. Usually get 3k in.
Then around various weight machines, not really with any routine at all after that.

I'm thinking of bringing a book and pen with me, so I can remember what weights I've done, how many reps etc. Back in Uni we had the Technogym system with the TGS key, that kept records of what you did, which was ace. My local leisure center is a dump compared to that place.

Wow, did some box squats yesterday and forgot just how hard they were.

The explosion off the box feels really good though

I didn't even see this thread as I was still subscribed to the old one so I posted this before in GordyR's sticked thread and it didn't get any replies, but this is probably a more appropriate place so here it is again.

It's been a while since I've been to the gym since starting university due to the work load etc. However, for the past 2 months or so I've been trying out the following workout:

Day 1 - Chest, Triceps and Shoulders
• 3 x 8 bench press (17.5kg dumbbell)
• 3 x 8 dips (bw)
• 3 x 8 forward fly (8.5kg dumbbell)
• 3 x 8 tricep extension (8.5kg dumbbell)
• 3 x 8 power clean (24.5kg barbell)
• 3 x 8 forward fly (7.5kg dumbbell)

Day 2 - Back, Biceps and Abs
• 3 x 8 deadlift (47.5kg barbell)
• 3 x 8 rear fly (5kg dumbbell)
• 3 x 8 bent over row (15kg dumbbell)
• 3 x 8 bicep curl (17.5kg barbell)
• 3 X 8 bent over row (32.5kg barbell)
• 3 x 18 crunches (holding a 5kg plate over my head)

Day 3 - Legs and Shoulders
• 3 x 8 squat (42.5kg barbell)
• 3 x 20 calf raise (42.5kg barbell)
• 3 x 8 split squat (holding 5kg plates in each hand)
• 3 x 8 lateral raise (6kg dumbbell)
• 3 x 8 upright row (26kg barbell)
• 3 x 8 shoulder press (12.5kgdumbbell)

These are done every other day, if not more.

Now, I've been combining exercises. For example, I'd do 8 reps bench pressing dumbbells, then 8 body weight dips, then 8 bench press, the 8 dips, etc.

I've been doing this with all of the exercises posted above.

Unfortunately I have a bit of a ghetto setup going here. I was stumped regarding what to use as a bench in my tiny university dorm room, so I tried using a 24 pack of cider and have been using that ever since for bench press and forward flys (flyes?). I realise this isn't very good for my back, so in the meantime I will try and find some sort of alternative. For dips I'm able to put one hand on my bed frame and the other on a pulled out drawer (supported with weights I wedge under the bottom to stop it collapsing!), which is fine(-ish) as long as I tuck my legs up.

The main trouble at the moment is squatting as I'm limited to the amount I can lift over my head and onto my back.

I plan to either buy or make a squat rack, buy a bench and a door-frame pull up bar when I move into my house in August, but for now, unfortunately, this is all I have to work with.

Basically, I was just looking for a critique of my ghetto routine with "set-coupling", so to speak, as I don't know if this is really the done thing--well, obviously it isn't but some people may've experimented with it.

A couple more things:
Some of the weights listed above are lower than they should be as I ran out of plates but I've bought more now so will be able to start increasing them again as I progress. Also the weights I've listed don't include the weight of my dumbbells or barbell as I don't know how much they weight.

Since starting this a couple of months ago I've gone from 150lbs (to around 145lb after a week of being pretty ill and not eating much) up to 158lbs. Granted some of the weight I've added is fat, I'm still pleased I've managed to put on anything at all after being stuck at 150lbs for 2 years.

Last edited:
Okay,

See below my current exercise and food diary. I appreciate it is a bit repetitive but I have lierally shaped my life round it for the last 9 months. I would appreciate any advice/tips. I am currently trying to loose weight and gain strength/tone muscle.

UE: Nah, I've cut my drinking right down, most I'll have is 3 bottles of beer on Saturday night, that's it. I've also given up smoking.

Food / Fitness Diary

:Monday:

Breakfast - Oats so simple porridge
Mid morning snac - Bannana
Lunch - Tortilla wrap with Ham, Cutecumber, Tomato, Lettuce and Tuna/mayo + Bottle of Water + Pack of crisps
Afternoon snack - Apple + Low fat Yogurt
Evening meal - Turky stir fry strips + Mushroom stir fry (Bean sprouts, peppers, cabbage, carrot, etc), Egg noodles + Soy Sauce
Exercise - Spinning class

:Tuesday:

Lunch - Tortilla wrap with Ham, Cutecumber, Tomato, Lettuce and Tuna/mayo + Bottle of Water + Pack of crisps
Evening Meal - Turky stir fry strips + Mushroom stir fry (Bean sprouts, peppers, cabbage, carrot, etc), Egg noodles + Soy Sauce
Exercise - 2x Hours of 5 a side football

:Wednesday:

Evening Meal - 2x Salmon Fillets, Broccoli, mangetout, mini sweetcorn + Creamy lemon and parsley sauce
Exercise - 2 Hours of Football training

:Thursday:

Evening Meal- Chicken filets, PAsta and Carbonara sauce
Exercise - Spinning class + Body pump / Session in the gym lifting weights

:Friday:

Evening Meal - Tesco Light choices Microwave meal _ Pack of cooked Chicken bits
Exercise - 1x Hour 5 a side Football

:Saturday:

Breakfast - Scrambled/poached eggs on toast
Lunch - Fruit salad, Bannana + Yogurt
EVening Meal - Pizza / Microwave meal
Exercise - 90 minutes 11 a side Football

:Sunday:

Breakfast - Scrambled/poached eggs on toast
Lunch - Sunday Roast
Evening Meal: Beans on toast
Exercise - 90 minutes 11 a side Football

I've been doing stronglifts 5x5 since last October at home until i run out of weight which i nearly have, having a week off this week and starting again on Monday. Joining a gym next week to so I'm looking forward to that.

squat 105kg 5x5
deadlift 120kg 5x5
bench press 60kg 5x5
overhead press 42.5kg
chin ups 3x6
press ups 3x20
Reverse Crunch 3x till it hurts
prone bridges 3x30 seconds 5kg on my back

last January i was a 15st 8 pints a day drinker and a 20 per day smoker. I stopped all that and ran and lost 2st over a few months as my diet was still poor. Stopped running due to shin splints and started weight training now I'm 13.9lbs from 12.12lbs looking fitter feeling loads better. This week is hard as I'm missing my squats:D

@Matt-Page maybe cut the crisps from your diet and re-look at you main meal pizza,microwave meals? try cooking chicken fillets baked potato with veg its all i ever eat.

Last edited:
Catch up time.

I hadn't trained for 2 weeks until last Sunday - been taking some time off to recover from injuries and so on. So I'm back to doing light weights for the time being and just building myself back up. I'm still holding steady at around 220lbs but my composition has softened a little bit unfortunately.

Sunday:

Powercleans

6x60kg
6x80kg
6x90kg
6x90kg

Front squats

6x60kg
6x70kg
6x80kg
6x80kg

BORs (suppinated grip)

6x60kg
6x60kg
6x80kg
6x80kg

Bench

6x80kg
6x100kg
6x100kg
6x100kg

15 mins jog/warm down.

Tuesday:

Flat DB Bench:

6x40kg
6x40kg
8x40kg
8x40kg
6x40kg

Incline DB:

8x30kg
8x32.5kg
8x35kg
6x35kg
6x35kg

Supersetted with incline flies:

8x15kg
8x15kg
8x15kg
8x15kg
10x15kg

Cable cross over:

10x20kg
10x25kg
8x30kg
8x35kg
6x40kg

DB Pull over:

6x40kg
5x40kg
8x35kg
8x35kg
7x35kg

Deadlifts (I know it's a bit odd doing them there, but I fancied them! :p)

5x140
5x170
5x190
5x200
3x220

15 min jog/warm down

Thursday:

Tbars:

8x40kg+bar
8x80kg+bar
8x100kg+bar
6x115kg+bar
6x115kg+bar

Wide grip chins:

6x6xBW

BORs (suppinated):

10x60
8x80
8x90
8x90
6x110
6x110

Pull down:

10x60kg
8x80kg
8x90kg
8x90kg

V-Grip Pull down:

8x90kg
6x90kg
6x90kg

Seated trciep extension (ez bar):

8x27.5kg
8x37.5kg
8x37.5kg
10x27.5kg
12x27.5kg

Cable tricep pull downs (single arm):

10x20kg (each arm)
8x25
6x30
6x30
12x20

15 min jog/warm down.

And that's 3 sessions so far to get back into it - going again tonight and rugby on Saturday - it's been hard not being at the gym, but owing to my injuries I just wanted some time to get back into it. So just a relatively average low weight low intensity work out but I'll get my mojo back soon - once I've rid myself of these injuries once and for all! Rugby season is nearly over so I'll be able to cane myself on Saturdays again! Going to increase the intensity once that's over to get ready for the summer - not bothering with cutting, just getting bigger and stronger - but will start putting a bit more effort into it. I'd like to sit comfortably at 16st by the end of the year at 13%. We'll see!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom