Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a good leg day today

Squat
Barx10
60x10
70x10
80x10
60x10

Calf raise (on leg press)
88kx15
97x15
106x15

Db lunges
16kdbx2 x10 x10 x10 (per leg)

Single leg extensions
20kx10
25x10 (per leg)

I found this knackering compared to 5x5 lol especialy the squats. The final set was harder than 100k for 5 lol

Going to try 4x10 for a month and see how it goes

I'm a fan of doing single leg calf raises on leg press :)

Also give sets of 20 a go on squats. I too was trying 5x5 on 100KG squats working my way up with sets of 10 from 60KG at 10 KG intervals, and finishing with the 5x5.

4 sets of 20 reps with 45KG 3 back and 1 front. Followed by a set of 10 on 60KG, then 2 sets of 20 on 60KG and a set of 20 on 80KG and then a set of 20 on 60KG actually almost killed me. Then I punished myself with some 150KG deadlifts to finish, which my quads were shaking for! I was unable to hold my leg extensions at the peak of the rep unless I wanted to suffer cramp!

I'm a fan of doing single leg calf raises on leg press :)

Also give sets of 20 a go on squats. I too was trying 5x5 on 100KG squats working my way up with sets of 10 from 60KG at 10 KG intervals, and finishing with the 5x5.

4 sets of 20 reps with 45KG 3 back and 1 front. Followed by a set of 10 on 60KG, then 2 sets of 20 on 60KG and a set of 20 on 80KG and then a set of 20 on 60KG actually almost killed me. Then I punished myself with some 150KG deadlifts to finish, which my quads were shaking for! I was unable to hold my leg extensions at the peak of the rep unless I wanted to suffer cramp!

Thats hefty! I think that would have killed me :p

The lunges after calf raises was funny too, made it much more intense.

GordyR's sticky at the top. Read it then come back if your still unsure :)

Thanks. After some reading, it seems compound exercises add the most mass. I wanted to know the correct number of reps/sets for isolated excerses for mass, too?

It seems from the FAQ, 3 is the norm for each muscle group. I used to do 4-5 (a muscle group a day) - which am guessing is not good?

Thats hefty! I think that would have killed me :p

The lunges after calf raises was funny too, made it much more intense.

Also had leg curls, adduction and calf raises to do after that! Was a funny walk home, must have looked like a right special!

Aye, I love a bit of lunge walking with a barbell. Much better than a static lunge I find.

Thanks. After some reading, it seems compound exercises add the most mass. I wanted to know the correct number of reps/sets for isolated excerses for mass, too?

It seems from the FAQ, 3 is the norm for each muscle group. I used to do 4-5 (a muscle group a day) - which am guessing is not good?

I would suggest between 8 to 10, maybe 12? depending on the exercise. My lateral and front raise sets consist of 12 reps per arm. For 4 sets. The programme I use, each exercise is 4 sets, 10 reps, but I normally work to failure which is either 10 or just short. Appart from some back and leg exercises which I use more for volume.

I dont know how many is good/bad per day for each muscle group. Normally, If I think about it, I'll range from 3-6, maybe more. Have a look at some pre-made split routines and see if you can figure it out from there.

Sorry I cant be of more help. I'm sure Freefaller, Wanton or Morba will be about soon!

Thanks. :)

Could I get a review on this program I made? I've been doing some research around compond exercises and supersetting and came up with this:

Chest / Triceps

Barbell Bench Press
Incline Dumbbell Press
Flat Bench Flys

Dips
Close Grip Bench Press
Triceps Extension (over head)

Shoulders / Back

Seated Barbell Press
Pull Ups (hands far apart)
Clean Press

Dead lifts
Bent over one arm Dumbbell rows
Lower back exercise

Biceps / Forearm

Chin Ups
Lat Pull downs
Bicep Curls
Seated Hammer Curls

Reverse Grip Barbell Curl
Barbell Wrist Curls
Dumbbell Wrist Curls

Legs/Abs

Barbell Squats
Dumbbell Lunges
Leg Press
Abdominal workout

Each day will consist of a 20 minute cardio

There probably will be different answers but I would:

*move deadlift to the start of bicep day possibly move the shoulders after the deads and then do a couple of sets of biceps. It is a small muscle which will be overtrained if u set aside a whole session for it.

*Flesh out the back workout with pull downs and pull backs up to u to vary it, no one optimal exercise.

*move the dead lift, shoulder, bicep day to opposite end of your training week to the back day. Personally I train front delts on the deadlift day and side delts (and ofcourse rear as part of every compound back lift) on the back day.

*I'd do some calf raises on leg day and move abs to a less strenuous day (back/chest).

*Also I'd do my cardio after my weights so you can shift max weight. However it might not hurt to test how it effects your lifts once you have plateued abit, just for shocking the muscles into thinking they need to grow.

Last edited:
Triggerthat, are you aiming to improve size or strength? or both?

I'd of worked in some seatedrows or Bent Over Barbell Rows into there. I find my forearms and biceps get enough work from a back workout followed by some short bicep isolation afterwards.

Try and use cables for the flyes.
I'd swap the pull ups for Lateral Pull down. Can get a much more controlled motion, assuming your not strong enough to do a 'controlled' pull up.

Personally I'd remove the biceps/forearm day, or do it after a back workout. Remove shoulders from the back day, and train them seperately. But thats just how I do it. You'll end up tinkering about and changing your plan eventually. But seems a good start :)

For me it goes:

Cardio/Abs, Chest & Triceps, Back & Biceps, Legs, Shoulders, Strength/powertraining & any odd isolation I feel like, Rest day.

My first week back on a proper routine has gone amazingly, as follows:

Monday: 45 mins on heavy Bag (punches/kicks)
Tuesday: 5 mins warm up on bike, Chest & Back, 10 mins on heavy bag
Wednesday: 5 mins warm up on heavy bag, Arms, 10 mins on heavy bag
Thursday: 10 Mins Treadmill, 10 mins X-Trainer, 20 mins heavy bag
Friday: 5 mins warm up on heavy bag, Legs/lower back & abs
Saturday: Woke up buzzing so hit the gym before the rugby my legs were aching like crazy from Friday but thought some kicking would be the way to go, kinda made it up sa I went along but ended up doing:
30 Mins on bag (predominately punches)
20 Mins training with olympic bar, 2 x 20 clean & jerks, 2 x 20 squats, 2 x 20 SLDL, 2 x 20 shoulder press, 2 x 20 prison squats, 2 x 10 clean & jerks.
10 Mins rest
30 Mins heavy bag (predominately kicks)

I've spent an hour today stretching as my legs are unbelievably tight, every step is painfull :D

Put on 2kg since my last post so i'm 65kg now ha ha :D

Got a few PB's last week on my chest mainly -

3x8 36kg DB press (tried 40kg but couldn't without assistance)
2x100kg BB press on smith
3x6 80kg deadlifts
3x6 28kg DB shoulder press

not the best compared to some in here, but I feel like i'm improving.

God im whoring this thread today due to utter boredom!

Some good lifts for your weight. How tall/old are you? Lifts from fresh? or PB's aquired during your regime/plan?

Put on 2kg since my last post so i'm 65kg now ha ha :D

Got a few PB's last week on my chest mainly -

3x8 36kg DB press (tried 40kg but couldn't without assistance)
2x100kg BB press on smith
3x6 80kg deadlifts
3x6 28kg DB shoulder press

not the best compared to some in here, but I feel like i'm improving.

Not the best compared to some in here, but some in here weigh getting on for two of you. Impressive lifting for your weight!

Hi,

cheers for the comments - I'm about 5'7.

the DB presses were from fresh - I managed to do 3x6 but I thought it was odd I couldn't even do 1 on 40kg. This was a couple of weeks ago and I'm ready to try again. The 100kg BB press was at the end of a back and bicep session so again my chest was fine.

I find inclines a lot harder though, only managing about 28kg on DB press, but going for 3x8 on 30kg next week.

If you want to make it hard try fatiguing yourself, chest wise, with either cable flies or the pec fly machine. Start with a few light sets and work up to really heavy for a few short reps. Then try DB press :p You'll be hideously shocked!

Hey all, trying to see if anyone can recommend some kit for me....I basically want to get some extra weights...Barbell/dumbell...

It's only going to be like 50kg's worth no doubt, only thing I'm contemplating over is the fact I only have a little bench at home to do exercises on, and their is no self spotting rig implemented....Would it be worth investing or? As I won't be benching 50kg's for a while yet.

I've seen a relatively cheap bench at a catalog store, that has a spotting type apparatus on it, but I'm not sure if it's worth purchasing...

Any insight would be appreciated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom