*** The all new iPhone 4 thread - Keep all iPhone 4 stuff in here ***

Soldato
Hi guys another iPhone question.

My dad has set up his email accounts yesterday and the emails arent coming through almost instantly like they did on his Blackberry. Is there any settings you can change to change it to auto push the email from his accounts to his iPhone? or is that just the way it works.

Thanks

Soldato
IIRC there's limited support for push on the iPhone.

It's supported for .Mac/Mobile Me, Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo! and MS Exchange (ie work accounts). Other email accounts are fetched per the schedule setting.

Blackberry works in a different way as they have the NOC server sat in the middle which does the heavy lifting.

Soldato
IIRC there's limited support for push on the iPhone.

It's supported for .Mac/Mobile Me, Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo! and MS Exchange (ie work accounts). Other email accounts are fetched per the schedule setting.

Blackberry works in a different way as they have the NOC server sat in the middle which does the heavy lifting.
Ah ok then.... I will just tell him to give me it and i will get him a Curve :D

Soldato
Small problem here, was wondering if anyone could shed some lighton this for me?

Bought an iPhone 4 on iOS 4. I believe 01 back in August, bought it from an O2 store, as I was on O2 at the time, then moved to T-Mobile when I moved house, jailbroke the phone with jailbreakme.com, and unlocked with Ultrasn0w, so tonight I went to update to JB 4.3.3, and every time I try I get error 21? I endedup trying the default iTunes update, but obviously it is now saying sim not recognised, and still getting error 21 when trying to apply the sn0wbreeze 4.3.3 update,

Any ideas on how I can bypass this and get the phone alive again?

Associate
Small problem here, was wondering if anyone could shed some lighton this for me?

Bought an iPhone 4 on iOS 4. I believe 01 back in August, bought it from an O2 store, as I was on O2 at the time, then moved to T-Mobile when I moved house, jailbroke the phone with jailbreakme.com, and unlocked with Ultrasn0w, so tonight I went to update to JB 4.3.3, and every time I try I get error 21? I endedup trying the default iTunes update, but obviously it is now saying sim not recognised, and still getting error 21 when trying to apply the sn0wbreeze 4.3.3 update,

Any ideas on how I can bypass this and get the phone alive again?

O2 will unlock a pay and go phone for 15 quid.

Soldato
Have you edited the hosts file at all? I did which stopped me from updating through iTunes until I returned it to stock settings.

Nope, the oes in windows/system32/drivers/etc? Tried it on my pc and gf's laptop and no luck, still constant error 21.

Any JB that might work on 4.3.3 other than sn0wbreeze?

Finally got it working now with the Redsn0w fix, although..I now have no service as the Apple update updated the baseband, talk about a pain!

Going to have a word with o2/apple store tomorrow, see who can unlock it asap, wish I hadn't bothered doing it now!!

(Will an unlock from o2/apple mean the phone will be unlocked forever, no matter what updates/firmware changes you do?)

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks, seems I'm going to be in for a 4 or 5 day wait with o2 one I have even got an o2 sim card again, so frustrating!! T-Mobile said they'll speak to Apple & try and push it to be unlocked, but I don't know if thats just corporate BS and will go nowhere or what?

Soldato
Well, called O2 today and got messed around a lot, then tried later this afternoonnonly to get a really helpful girl who didn't wanna charge me at all and put the phoe through for unlocking and should be done on/by Saturday! Why are there so many unhelpful people and so few who will go out of their way to help you? :o

Soldato
Cursor dropping to the line below in email, sms, whatsapp??

Guys

I have an issue when the cursor on my iP4, I can type one word on a new line and it drops to the line below, then another couple of words and it drops again? I have deleted a smiley app I had as I thought that might be the issue..

Anyone else had this? I use my iPhone for lots of emailing and sms, whatsapp and is sending me nutty!

Thanks

Mart

Associate
Getting a white iPhone 4 on Saturday. Bit late to the party I know. Thinking I will keep this mint as I can then sell near to when the next model is out. To do this I'm thinking of using a case.

Can anyone recommend a decent clear case?

Cheers

Soldato
Getting a white iPhone 4 on Saturday. Bit late to the party I know. Thinking I will keep this mint as I can then sell near to when the next model is out. To do this I'm thinking of using a case.

Can anyone recommend a decent clear case?

Cheers

Don't buy one until WWDC is finished, you could just be throwing money away otherwise.

Can only echo this i've been waiting for the last month, just wait for another week and see what happens. Could be literally throwing £150 away for the sake of waiting a week :o

Associate
Can only echo this i've been waiting for the last month, just wait for another week and see what happens. Could be literally throwing £150 away for the sake of waiting a week :o

:eek: Really?? have not yet received the phone, so can send it back. Did not realise that the WWDC was so close. Currently got my 3GS on the bay, will have to rock the trusty 'ol K800i until Apple know what they are doing!

Associate
Well, called O2 today and got messed around a lot, then tried later this afternoonnonly to get a really helpful girl who didn't wanna charge me at all and put the phoe through for unlocking and should be done on/by Saturday! Why are there so many unhelpful people and so few who will go out of their way to help you? :o

Why talk to anyone when you can unlock it through O2's website?

Soldato
Why talk to anyone when you can unlock it through O2's website?

Because I am no longer an o2 customer, and they wanted me (The previous call centre person who clearly was reading from a script) buy a £20 PAYG sim, use that for a few days, then request the unlock, so this should be quicker, and will be free!

On anothe rnote, does anyone know how to make itunes on Windows save the backups from a device in another location other than default? Only running a 60GB SSD as my OS drive and these backups are so much bigger than I want to leave on this drive when I have storage ones for that exact kind of purpose!

Soldato
My standard iPhone 4 warranty is going to expire next month. Regardless of what is announced at WWDC next week I want to extend the coverage as I purchased my iPhone 4 direct from Apple sim free.

I know I can purchase the extended warranty coverage from the bay for roughly half what Apple charge direct but I have a few questions.

Does this method have any drawbacks?
Has anyone done it? If so any problems registering the extended support?
What bay seller did you use?

Back
Top Bottom