• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Permabanned
Any idea when a driver will be released that has support for bf2042 its released this week i believe.

Thanks

It's a strange question. Every driver supports the unreleased games, a new driver is released if performance issues appear.

So, don't expect a particular new driver for a given game.

Soldato
Hi all.

I'm sorry to ask another Enhanced Sync / V-Sync / Freesync question but I've just setup my new monitor; no longer am I stuck at 60Hz haha. :) So I'm now outputting at 1440P @144Hz over HDMI. I have "Enhanced Sync" turned on in the AMD console, along with Freesync Premium in both the AMD console and on the display itself. I've just fired up Far Cry 6, and I've set the max framerate limiter to 144 FPS. If this is off, I get coil whine whilst in the game menus (guessing the FPS is running stupidly high). I've then set V-Sync to "Off" in the game menu.

I did a quick 5 minutes of play and it seems lovely and responsive and smooth. I didn't notice any tearing.

As far as I can tell, Enhanced Sync is off in any case where framerate is below 144Hz, meaning Freesync Premium is actually in play here (for it's range 48Hz - 144Hz on HDMI). If I were to go over 144Hz then Enhanced Sync takes over (which it can't as i've set an FPS limit in this specific case).

I just need to clarify should V-Sync be "off" in game or do I need that to be "on" for Enhanced Sync to "kick in" (in theory)?

Thanks in advance.

Caporegime
OP
Vsync can be off. There’s no need to have enhanced sync on if you are capping FPS below the refresh rate of your display. Enhanced sync is only worthwhile for 144 FPS or higher, eg when playing with an uncapped frame rate and FPS are above your max refresh rate.

I would disable it and set the max FPS to 3 below your refresh rate, so 141. This will ensure you always stay in the Freesync range, as setting it to 143/144 may mean that you occasionally fall out of the range.

Associate
It's a strange question. Every driver supports the unreleased games, a new driver is released if performance issues appear.

Well its not a strange question as far as i am concerned i have yet to ever manage to play a new game release of battlefield without having to update the driver for it and often it will specifically state or mention info about the game itself when i do. Hopefully you are correct and the newest driver will work ok, I usually keep on top of driver updates as well.

Thanks

Soldato

Its not really AMD and Nvidia release "game ready" drivers for new games. Optimised and/or tested on the game. This is what the OP meant.

Here is an example for Guardians of the Galaxy

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/35193536

Associate
The original question sounded like BF2042 was not supported (not working) until AMD did something about it. I think AMD's use of the word in their release notes instills a false sense of needing drivers which is misleading.

If the question was more about performance optimisation, it's possible to search AMD's site across the release notes to answer that. The only hit I could see was regarding 'support' for the Beta in https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-21-10-1

Caporegime
OP
The original question sounded like BF2042 was not supported (not working) until AMD did something about it. I think AMD's use of the word in their release notes instills a false sense of needing drivers which is misleading.

If the question was more about performance optimisation, it's possible to search AMD's site across the release notes to answer that. The only hit I could see was regarding 'support' for the Beta in https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-21-10-1
You can blame 'game ready' drivers for that to be fair. :cry:

BF2042 will work just fine on the latest driver.

Associate
Hope so the beta didn't until i was pointed to a newer beta driver release with bf 2042 support. Its probably a NVidia thing on my part..i am not used to getting good working drivers with new games from the off lets see how the red team do:)

Caporegime
New drivers up now.

Support For
Battlefield™ 2042
Up to 14% increase in performance in Battlefield™ 2042 @ 4K Ultra Settings, using Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 21.11.2 on the 16 GB Radeon™ RX 6900 XT graphics card, versus the previous software driver version 21.10.4.RS-431
Up to 15% increase in performance in Battlefield™ 2042 @ 4K Ultra Settings, using Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 21.11.2 on the 16 GB Radeon™ RX 6800 XT graphics card, versus the previous software driver version 21.10.4.RS-432
Up to 11% increase in performance in Battlefield™ 2042 @ 4K Ultra Settings, using Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 21.11.2 on the 16 GB Radeon™ RX 6700 XT graphics card, versus the previous software driver version 21.10.4.RS-433

Soldato
Well, twice gone in with previous driver, DX error. Just updated to latest from yesteday, guess what, more DX errors and locks up the desktop on game entry video where the craft is delivering you into the map.... Blimey the BETA ran without a hitch, now on game day... knakcered. Then again this is typical BF release day for me, it never ever works!

So no Fedelity FX from what I can see in the menu, shame for such a AAA title... couldn't see the option anyway unless I've missed it?

EDIT: Very interesting... even though I can run OCCT, every single benchmark, stress test and game at my overclock settings BF2042 will not take them and DX error. When I run stock, it's fine. First and only game that won't take the OC's...

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, twice gone in with previous driver, DX error. Just updated to latest from yesteday, guess what, more DX errors and locks up the desktop on game entry video where the craft is delivering you into the map.... Blimey the BETA ran without a hitch, now on game day... knakcered. Then again this is typical BF release day for me, it never ever works!

So no Fedelity FX from what I can see in the menu, shame for such a AAA title... couldn't see the option anyway unless I've missed it?

EDIT: Very interesting... even though I can run OCCT, every single benchmark, stress test and game at my overclock settings BF2042 will not take them and DX error. When I run stock, it's fine. First and only game that won't take the OC's...

For me all Battlefield games have been picky about overclocks. I do not know what it is with Frostbite but it hates OC

What I find best is to create a custom profile to run battlefield run stock while other games run the custom OC profile.

Back
Top Bottom