• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Caporegime
Prime doesn't use AVX 2, does it? If you run OCCT test for AVX 2 units, it can only find issues with these units (and connected systems) and no other parts of the CPU. It's best to run that and then standard tests too - it has variety of tests, after all.

Agreed, thought it tested whole sys. Was a ram issue anyhow, my B-die doesn't seem to like anything over 1.45v (well vented sys so heat isn't the problem).

Caporegime
OP
@Tinek @varkanoid

Was just playing around with RSR in Days Gone (see here).

I noticed that the toast overlay was saying it was not enabled when it was. Verified via monitoring the FPS hit and then alt tabbing out of the game to check AMD Software.

I could also notice it being applied to the UI in the menu screen.

Associate
So, I've done a few screenshots and can confirm they're consistent with what I can see with my own eyes on the screen. I've checked it in a few games, same results, but screens below are specifically from FF14.

RIS - I see no visible difference between it turned fully off and it being on 100% (excuse difference in time of the day - it's automatic on the server, nothing I can do about it aside waiting): FF14 RIS vs no RIS - Imgsli - wall to the right would be easiest to spot the difference, but I see none.

Bit later today, I shall turn off all my software (like MSI Afterburner etc.) and switch off auto-HDR (that might be causing issues too, perhaps? Hasn't with older drivers, though) etc. then compare again.

Caporegime
OP
So, I've done a few screenshots and can confirm they're consistent with what I can see with my own eyes on the screen. I've checked it in a few games, same results, but screens below are specifically from FF14.

RIS - I see no visible difference between it turned fully off and it being on 100% (excuse difference in time of the day - it's automatic on the server, nothing I can do about it aside waiting): FF14 RIS vs no RIS - Imgsli - wall to the right would be easiest to spot the difference, but I see none.

Bit later today, I shall turn off all my software (like MSI Afterburner etc.) and switch off auto-HDR (that might be causing issues too, perhaps? Hasn't with older drivers, though) etc. then compare again.
Yes try with Auto HDR off. Are you running in exclusive full screen mode?

Associate
Yes try with Auto HDR off. Are you running in exclusive full screen mode?

Ok, with AutoHDR (actually HDR in Windows in general) off and both RIS and RSR are working fine now! So, that is the problem, then, it would seem - these 2 functions do not work with AutoHDR or possible HDR in general. I don't have any games installed now with native HDR to confirm, though.

And I can confirm both work fine on UW when AutoHDR is disabled, so at least we know UW in itself is fine.

EDIT 1: I played with it a bit more and when I start the game first with HDR in Windows off, RSR or RIS (not both at once obviously) working fine, THEN I turn on HDR (and by that AutoHDR) from Windows GameBar, without restarting game - both still work fine WITH AutoHDR running.
The opposite (switching off HDR after game is started) doesn't help and RIS and RSR still not working, unless I start the game with HDR off.

EDIT 2: I forgot CP2077 has native HDR - testing with this one, AutoHDR off, same results - even native HDR on in game stops RIS and RSR from working.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Ok, with AutoHDR (actually HDR in Windows in general) off and both RIS and RSR are working fine now! So, that is the problem, then, it would seem - these 2 functions do not work with AutoHDR or possible HDR in general. I don't have any games installed now with native HDR to confirm, though.

And I can confirm both work fine on UW when AutoHDR is disabled, so at least we know UW in itself is fine.

EDIT 1: I played with it a bit more and when I start the game first with HDR in Windows off, RSR or RIS (not both at once obviously) working fine, THEN I turn on HDR (and by that AutoHDR) from Windows GameBar, without restarting game - both still work fine WITH AutoHDR running.
The opposite (switching off HDR after game is started) doesn't help and RIS and RSR still not working, unless I start the game with HDR off.

EDIT 2: I forgot CP2077 has native HDR - testing with this one, AutoHDR off, same results - even native HDR on in game stops RIS and RSR from working.
RIS does not support HDR so this is expected, however as you discovered if you launch the game with RIS on and then alt tab out to enable HDR, it should work.

However, if the game has no option to enable HDR then this may not work. Auto HDR requires HDR so this is something to consider also.

RSR supports HDR and both work together without any issues. Confirmed and tested on multiple games that don't support FSR natively.

Associate
RIS does not support HDR so this is expected, however as you discovered if you launch the game with RIS on and then alt tab out to enable HDR, it should work.

However, if the game has no option to enable HDR then this may not work. Auto HDR requires HDR so this is something to consider also.

RSR supports HDR and both work together without any issues. Confirmed and tested on multiple games that don't support FSR natively.

I could swear RIS worked fine in HDR in older drivers but then again, the lies our brain tells us at times and we don't even notice... Might've been deluding myself there. At least good to know this is the case! :)

RSR still weird - after a bunch of tries I can see it working just fine and well without HDR. However, with HDR on at best I've noticed small sharpening pass on textures (in World of Tanks), but the rest of the image still was quite blurry, as if only the last sharpening pass was applied but not the actual upscaling algorithm. Might be there's something else interfering on my system or simply even though it's working in HDR the effect it produces just isn't as good as the non-HDR version. In the end, since RIS isn't something I plan on using anytime soon, I'll leave it be.

Caporegime
OP
Been getting pc freezes and wondering if its the drivers or drivers plus chrome when playing media through it.

I have this

and

Dont suppose anyone has ideas? Ive done sfc stuff to see if windows had issues and chkdsk /r stuff but seems ok.

Thought was maybe psu dying as quite old but solid psu so tested prime95 and running gpuz render test for awhile and no issues. Seems to happen when mostly using media in chrome which has had a few updates lately so could be tied to that.

@AMD_Vik maybe u have an idea or heard of pc freezing reports lately?

6700xt
16gb ram
latest win 10 and updates
latest chrome
latest drivers

etc.
Are you still getting timeouts while browsing @SkeeterUK?

If so can you provide any steps to reproduce and details about your setup please.

Soldato
i disabled hw acceleration in chrome tho i wish i didnt have to grr, its not happened since thankfully tho maybe i fixed it with /sfc and all that stuff i did and didnt need to turn hw thingy off.

But yeah since chrome updated a revision or two ago it started freezing the pc, maybe it was a amd gfx driver update that caused it or both somehow caused it, again i hope the info provided can help amd vik or if u have connections still ltmatt u can pass it on for me, im not great with submitting bug reports officially (too lazy lol).

Hope i can put hw acceleration back on cos i hate it when i browse sites say reddit or something with media and scrolling feels like 20fps instead of 75 lol. When a pic or embed video is on screen.

Caporegime
OP
i disabled hw acceleration in chrome tho i wish i didnt have to grr, its not happened since thankfully tho maybe i fixed it with /sfc and all that stuff i did and didnt need to turn hw thingy off.

But yeah since chrome updated a revision or two ago it started freezing the pc, maybe it was a amd gfx driver update that caused it or both somehow caused it, again i hope the info provided can help amd vik or if u have connections still ltmatt u can pass it on for me, im not great with submitting bug reports officially (too lazy lol).

Hope i can put hw acceleration back on cos i hate it when i browse sites say reddit or something with media and scrolling feels like 20fps instead of 75 lol. When a pic or embed video is on screen.
Can you try tuning HW accel back on and retest? Since it sounds like you did some other stuff too as part of troubleshooting.

Soldato
ok. btw it seems to trigger when it last happened when i was on amazon and i hovered my mouse over the items screenshots and the last one was a video clip, it started acting up hovering over one by one and then got iffy when hovering over the video clips thumbnail. Then i couldnt hover over anymore of them then a few mins later the mouse starting slowing down then it froze the pc, before i thought sys crash so rebooted manually but last time i left it and it recovered as i was trying to press keys then i did ctrl alt del and when the pc unfroze the blue screen when doing ctrl alt del, popped up.

Last edited:
AMD Rep
Vendor Rep
ok. btw it seems to trigger when it last happened when i was on amazon and i hovered my mouse over the items screenshots and the last one was a video clip, it started acting up hovering over one by one and then got iffy when hovering over the video clips thumbnail. Then i couldnt hover over anymore of them then a few mins later the mouse starting slowing down then it froze the pc, before i thought sys crash so rebooted manually but last time i left it and it recovered as i was trying to press keys then i did ctrl alt tab and when pc unfroze the blue screen when doing ctrl alt tab popped up.

Do you have anything under C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG\ that corresponds to this event? If so, could you send that over to me via DM

Cheers

Soldato
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-22-3-2

AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.3.2 Highlights
Support For

• Ghostwire™: Tokyo
  • Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands™
    • Up to 23% increase in performance in Tiny Tina's Wonderlands @ 4k Badass settings, using AMD Software Adrenalin Edition 22.3.2 on the Radeon RX 6900XT, versus the previous software driver version 22.3.1RS-465
    • Up to 21% increase in performance in Tiny Tina's Wonderlands @ 4k Badass settings, using AMD Software Adrenalin Edition 22.3.2 on the Radeon RX 6800XT, versus the previous software driver version 22.3.1RS-466
    • Up to 20% increase in performance in Tiny Tina's Wonderlands @ 4k Badass settings, using AMD Software Adrenalin Edition 22.3.2 on the Radeon RX 6700XT, versus the previous software driver version 22.3.1RS-467
  • Additional Vulkan® extensions. Click here for more information.
Fixed Issues
  • While playing Cyberpunk 2077™ on some AMD Graphics Products such as Radeon™ RX 570 Graphics, some users may observe an issue where indoor areas appear darker than expected.
  • Game crash may be observed by users on some AMD Graphics Products such as Radeon™ RX 6900 XT while playing Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin™.
  • Stuttering may be experienced while playing Genshin Impact™ with video playback or encoding on some AMD Graphics Products such as Radeon™ RX 6900 XT.
  • Using the AMD Software hotkey to open and close Radeon™ Overlay may introduce stuttering while playing some games such as Grim Dawn™.
  • During Hades™ gameplay, some users on AMD Graphics Products such as Radeon™ RX 6800 may experience game crash.
Known Issues
  • Some users on Windows® 10 operating system may observe the absence of the windows transparency aero effect.
  • Using Radeon™ Super Resolution on 2560x1600 resolution displays may produce a system hang. A temporary workaround is to set the display Scaling Mode to Full Panel.
  • Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.
  • Radeon performance metrics and logging features may intermittently report extremely high and incorrect memory clock values.

Back
Top Bottom