• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

"Higher than expected idle VRAM clock using multi-monitor setups on Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs"

Is not fixed for me, or at least my 6700XT behaves as it always has, though we've been told in the past that high mem clocks with multiple displays is to be expected and is normal behaviour.
So not really sure what's expected or what this is attempting to fix?

Main monitor is 1440p@144Hz, second monitor is 1080p.
If I run the second monitor at it's max 120Hz, then mem clock is always at max with ~30W GPU at idle.
If I run it at 60Hz then mem clocks down to ~30MHz and ~6W GPU at idle.

This changelog item has been clarified on the release page. The issue was that specific displays would cause your GPU mclk to idle at 50%, whether they were on their own or within an array that'd typically idle lower.

You could either be impacted by VBI or display bandwidth (not sure on your secondary refresh rate). VBI is intrinsic to your display. You could work around this via custom resolutions in Adrenalin to get 144 Hz idling low, but that's pretty advanced.

For what it's worth, I have a similar config to you ([Asus VG27AQ | 2560 * 1440 @ 144Hz] + [Asus VS248 | 1920 * 1080 @ 60Hz]) and I can idle at about 24 MHz with a 6800XT

Installed 22.11.1, and still having high idle VRAM clock on my multi-monitor setup (Philips BDM4037U - 3840x2160@60Hz and 246E - 1920x1080@60Hz). With both connected I'm running at ~ 1900 MHz and 35W, with only one display connected it's 34MHz and <10W. As I don't have an iGPU, currently using a cheap/poor USB3 to HDMI for the second monitor as it only runs Afterburner and the occasional email/other app on there. Works fine, but bugs me that I need to use a less than ideal workaround when my 6800XT should be more than up to running both monitors without clocking up.

gone back to 22.5.1 its far smoother now with browsers and steam store pages with embedded videos playing now, they really need to fix that on later drivers. (6700xt)

Having a weird issue with 22.5.1, been using it for a long time now with no issues. Came home today and both monitors were black.. Turned the PC off and booted back in no problem but it said Adrenaline is not compatible with this driver? Installed 22.11.1 and was able to open adrenaline etc but games did not run great. So went back once again to 22.5.1 and now cannot open adrenaline because i get the same error.

Hmm coulda sworn i installed 22.5.1 but gpuz says somit different and i cant open the adrelaline software anymore. Did windows sneakily replace it when i wasnt looking?

Hmm i seem to remember enabling for some daft reason or didnt think it mattered about auto installing windows updates, coudlnt find the exact same setting but found somit online i think worked editing gpedit.msc and changing a setting. As when i tried to reinstall 22.5.1 it happened again in windows update that it found a amd driver and went to download then install without asking me first, but with the new change it hasnt come up the 2nd time. Thought getting ddu again and ticking the box prevent windows from installing gpu driver then closing it would have fixed it but didnt, unless it needed a reboot after, oh well seems its not auto overiding the driver i put in with a windows update one now.

Last edited:
Having a weird issue with 22.5.1, been using it for a long time now with no issues. Came home today and both monitors were black.. Turned the PC off and booted back in no problem but it said Adrenaline is not compatible with this driver? Installed 22.11.1 and was able to open adrenaline etc but games did not run great. So went back once again to 22.5.1 and now cannot open adrenaline because i get the same error.

Do a clean installation of the driver. Next insure windows isn't updating the display driver via windows update. Check recent installation results.

If it is Windows updating display driver make sure to not allow driver installation via windows.

I changed Windows settings to stop all Windows updates, not just drivers. I seem to run into fewer issues since I started doing that. I'll manually update every few months and will then check game performance and such to ensure none of the updates borked anything.

And all of that because of one bad update once lol.

Do a clean installation of the driver. Next insure windows isn't updating the display driver via windows update. Check recent installation results.

If it is Windows updating display driver make sure to not allow driver installation via windows.
Windows is so often the reason that people are having issues. The update service is making me balder by the day. Don't think there is any other piece of software or system I hate more than windows update. I would normally just disable the update service but then they added another service that will undo anything you do to it. Come on MS.. if I know how to deal with services then I'm more than knowledgeable enough to handle updating the system myself. That OS just frustrates me to high heaven. Group polices is just so cumbersome to deal with. Sorry for the rant. I had to get it out of my system :D.

Installed 22.11.1, and still having high idle VRAM clock on my multi-monitor setup (Philips BDM4037U - 3840x2160@60Hz and 246E - 1920x1080@60Hz). With both connected I'm running at ~ 1900 MHz and 35W, with only one display connected it's 34MHz and <10W. As I don't have an iGPU, currently using a cheap/poor USB3 to HDMI for the second monitor as it only runs Afterburner and the occasional email/other app on there. Works fine, but bugs me that I need to use a less than ideal workaround when my 6800XT should be more than up to running both monitors without clocking up.
The exact same here with my 6800XT

I always use DDU when removing drivers, i did notice windows installed "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc - Display 31.0.12027.7000". After removing and reinstalling adrenaline a few times it works again now and i also stopped driver updates. Cheers

Last edited:
I always use DDU when removing drivers, i did notice windows installed "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc - Display 31.0.12027.7000". After removing and reinstalling adrenaline a few times it works again now and i also stopped driver updates. Cheers
its the sep or oct win driver without a control panel, u have to get adrenaline controls from windows store apparently. :/

Last edited:
So what's the deal with the Radeon software defaulting the fans to 15% max?

I applied an OC whilst mid game to 2700mhz, mem maxed and power limit maxed to find my card was hitting 97c and hot spot at 109c and there was me scratching my head as to why it was underclocking.
This never happened on default. But does if you OC???

Last edited:
@AMD_Vik

Can you ask the support teams about mpo (Multi-Plane Overlay). I wonder if that is why desktop usage feels crap like if media is embedded on stuff like in steam on store pages when they play them little vids and u try scroll it stutters like mad after 22.5.1, and chrome has it too like say on a media heavy reddit page or something. And maybe related to black/grey screen flickers now and then on desktop.

Plus it might be the cause of black or grey screens.

Why i ask is someone posted a few things and makes me think its related to MPO stuff.

A fix some ppl are reporting for amd and nvidia issues of what was described.

And then in release notes for amd drivers we have these which i dunno "may" be related.

• During video playback and window switching, an intermittent driver timeout or black screen may occur on Radeon RX 6000 series GPUs using some 240Hz refresh rate displays or high refresh rate primary display plus low refresh rate secondary display configurations.

• Stuttering may occur during video playback using hardware acceleration with Firefox on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon RX 6900 XT.
  • Brief display corruption may occur when switching between video and game windows on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon RX 6700 XT.
Ive had issues in chrome unless i turned it to dx9, on most drivers with sluggish scrolling performance. with most new drivers, back on 22.5.1 seems better but im now using edge browser as far faster than chrome now i find and less issues. I still notice the odd flash of the screen randomly tho i think i notice it when switching between a video player then something else like desktop or browser, but was worse on later drivers but bit better on 22.5.1.

Tempted to try the reg fix but i will wait, incase describing this, and the reports and the mpo thing might help ur drivers teams to find some relation and then issue a fix finally. It seems diff cards have the same issues so its a bit of a wide ranging issue.

PS i know a lot of ppl report multiple displays but ive had these with just 1 monitor setup.

Last edited:
Got a crash to desktop after a little over an hour of Halo infinite with 22.5.1 (Only recently started running this driver again)

I rolled back to 22.3.1 and played for over two hours today without issue. No overclock on the GPU or CPU. Just XMP on the RAM.

I'll report back if 22.3.1 crashes, but this is the driver I keep coming back to for stability. (-and VR performance vs 22.5.2? and later)

have you (or anyone else)
still got 22.3.1 drivers please ?

AMD website only goes back to 22.3.2

have you (or anyone else)
still got 22.3.1 drivers please ?

AMD website only goes back to 22.3.2
I have it but it's too big for email and I don't subscribe to any cloud service. I would expect something between 22.3.1 and 22.5.1 to be okay?

22.3.1 is just what I had when I decided to try 22.5.1. I skippedthe ones between. And 22.5.2 and up tanks Project Cars 2 in VR for me.

In other news, a friend of mine with the same 6800XT as me just bought a Reverb G2 and is going to see if 22.5.2 and up do the same thing to Project Cars 2 for him.

If he has no issues, then I will bite the bullet and uninstall / reinstall PC2 or even Windows if need be.

If he gets the same performance regression, it will dampen my excitement for buying the 7900XTX. I need about 60% more performance over my 6800XT (running on 22.3.1) to be able to do night racing without lowering resolution on the headset.

But if the performance regression I'm currently seeing on 22.5.2 (and up) is the new normal for PC2 going forward, I'll need 80-90% more performance, and I doubt the XTX can provide that.

To be fair to AMD, 22.5.1 is the latest "recommended" driver and, while it's not particularly stable for me, the performance is fine. All the drivers with that performance regression are still listed as "optional".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom