• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

have you (or anyone else)
still got 22.3.1 drivers please ?

AMD website only goes back to 22.3.2

You can change the url on the release notes to go back further...

This page is also handy to keep bookmarked...

I was reading the babletech 4080 review and noticed the 6900XT listed in the framerime charts was running 22.11.1 and the performance was great! (Stronger than the 3080Ti in the test)

This was in PC2, in VR, running Steam VR.

It looks like my issue with drivers over 22.5.1 is a problem with my specific system rather than the drivers themselves. (Although I need to try 22.11.1 specifically)

It's going to be a bit of a hassle to reinstall PC2 from scratch and get everything setup, but now that I know the newer drivers work well with PC2 and VR, it's worth the time to get my AMD system sorted.

This also puts the 7900XTX at the top of my shopping list. (assuming the reviews match AMD's claims on stage).

50% more performance than just the 6900XT (not even a 6950XT) in the babletech review should more than cover the extra performance I need in PC2.

I'm really looking forward to the reviews now.

Last edited:
have you tried Virtual desktop ?
that's never worked for me on the newer amd drivers, which is why i rolled back and stayed away, hoping the latest drivers work with VD, so i can upgrade to it
No. I don't use that program. Sorry. A friend of mine with a 6800XT just got a Reverb G2 and uses Virtual Desktop. He has been slow to actually dive in though as he has been busy 3-D Printing custom facial interfaces for his new headset rather than actually using it.

I specifically asked him to compare 22.5.1 to any of the new optional drivers, so I'll report back once he finally uses the headset.

He was using a Quest 2 before and didn't mention any issues, but I don't know what drivers.

Last edited:
Now a completely different thing from me - I have lots of driver crashes: black screen for about a minute, whilst sound still running in the background, then image shows up again with driver crash info. It never happens in games, or stress tests etc. But seems to happen a lot in Windows in low power use, e.g. working in Word, Teams, Excel, browsing websites, watching videos on youtube etc. Oddly, it never just happens if I don't touch anything, it only happens when I click something like new tab in the browser, open a new video, new document, click a button on web page that would open another page etc. I sent tons of crash reports about it to AMD but frankly it's getting ridiculous now, stopping me just working during the day, but never stops me gaming...

GPU is Asus TUF 6800XT (bought in OC UK actually) - newest firmware flashed from Asus website, didn't change anything. PSU Corsair RM850 (less than 2y old). I changed CPU from Ryzen 7 5800x to 5800x3D but it still happens. I changed RAM from 4x8GB Corsair 3200 to AMD-certified Kingston 3600 (2x16GB) but that changed nothing. I've tried few versions of drivers (from the past 6 months or so), few BIOS versions for my MSI B550 Carbon motherboard (no change). Reinstalled Windows from zero - no change. I've put RTX 3080 for testing for few days in - zero issues. It has to be the driver or GPU then, for some reason. Even clean OS with just Windows Updates driver - same crashes randomly after a while. I can't catch it in any stress test, benchmark or games as mentioned - unless game is running in the background and I alt-tab to web browser, open some videos and just multi-task in general, then it can happen too. I thought it might be caused by video playing but had it happened few times with no videos opened at all, too.

The above crashes happen either once every 1-2 days or can happen few times in a row. There's no pattern to it, seemingly. Very bizzare thing. And same PC (I changed nothing) worked for almost a year with 0 issues, then this started... I've seen bunch of people writing on Reddit with similar issues, but no solutions (some even got new GPU from the vendor but that didn't fix it either) and everyone seems to be just blaming GPU drivers. No clue what to do about it, aside swapping the GPU to NVIDIA one and be done with it. That said, I had similar (just much worse as it was crashing much more often, even though I've tried 5 different brands of same GPU!) experience with RDNA 1 card, which forced me to get RTX 2070S instead (and never had such issues with that one, though it had other NVIDIA-related issues). Said NVIDIA card I swapped later to current one and here we are again, a year later.

Any ideas? I am fresh out of anything else I can try. :)

EDIT: What has occurred to me is that some time before it started to happen, I got Alienware OLED monitor, which has full G-Sync Ultimate module. Makes me wonder if that isn't the problem, when said module and non-G-Sync AMD card have some issues talking to each other (VRR is active) at times and it could trigger driver time out for example. And I also run HDR mode a lot in Windows, which perhaps influences it as well somehow.
I've experienced exactly the same behaviour for about 4 weeks now with my Gigabyte Radeon RX 6800 XT Aorus Master 16GB OC. The card and drivers have been bulletproof for nearly 2 years but trying the latest, recommended and Pro drivers have made no difference. I'm currently running with the 30.0.13023.4001 Windows driver to see if things improve.

I'm not reinstalling Windows, I'm not swapping the PSU (750w) and I'm not RMA'ing the card as I'm convinced that this is a driver or Windows issue. I may be brave and restore my OS partition to a backup from around 8-10 weeks ago - just to see.

Last edited:
I've experienced exactly the same behaviour for about 4 weeks now with my Gigabyte Radeon RX 6800 XT Aorus Master 16GB OC. The card and drivers have been bulletproof for nearly 2 years but trying the latest, recommended and Pro drivers have made no difference. I'm currently running with the 30.0.13023.4001 Windows driver to see if things improve.

I'm not reinstalling Windows, I'm not swapping the PSU (750w) and I'm not RMA'ing the card as I'm convinced that this is a driver or Windows issue. I may be brave and restore my OS partition to a backup from around 8-10 weeks ago - just to see.
In my case I sold the card for good cash (I can't have unstable PC on which I work, irrelevant of cost) and the person that bought it has 0 issues. Hence, definitely not the GPU! But I also replaced it with 3080Ti and then 4090 and... no issues with either of these at all since that. Ergo, my machine is fine too! Must've been some incompatibility between that AMD GPU and something else, and the only thing that I've changed before it started was monitor. Hence, back to the monitor. Looking at AMD drivers notes (latest ones I've seen) they mention in known issues crashes of 6k series GPUs with high refresh rate and higher res monitors (DP bandwidth related perhaps?) - I suspect this is what I've encountered, UW 1440p, with 175Hz would likely fit in that description. Fingers crossed they'll fix it before new GPUs come in Dec.

Last edited:
After experiencing multiple daily black screens using the various AMD drivers I'm happy to report three error-free days using the 30.0.13023.4001 Windows driver.

Just before anyone decides to buy a new PSU or reinstall their OS.

AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.11.2 Release Notes​

Article Number

RN-RAD-WIN-22-11-2

Highlights​

• Support for:
    • The Callisto Protocol™
    • Need for Speed™ Unbound
    • The Witcher® 3: Wild Hunt Next-Gen Update

Fixed Issues​

• During video playback and window switching, an intermittent driver timeout or black screen may occur on Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs using some 240Hz refresh rate displays or high refresh rate primary display plus low refresh rate secondary display configurations.
  • Stuttering may occur during video playback using hardware acceleration with Firefox on Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs.
  • AMDRSServ.exe may cause GPU utilization to remain at 100% after closing games on some AMD Graphics Products such as Radeon™ 570.
  • An intermittent driver timeout or black screen may occur while videos are playing in VRChat™ on Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs.

Known Issues​

• Intermittent system stuttering or UI flickering may occur when two videos are simultaneously playing using chromium-based browsers.
  • During video playback and gameplay, frame drop may occur in chromium-based browsers with variable refresh rate enabled extended displays.
  • Brief display corruption may occur when switching between video and game windows on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6700 XT.
  • Texture flickering or artifacts may occur during Warhammer 40,000: Darktide™ gameplay.

Important Notes​

• AMD is working with the game developers of Warhammer 40,000: Darktide™ to resolve issues with texture flickering and artifacts seen during gameplay.

Package Contents​

The AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.11.2 installation package contains the following:
  • AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.11.2 Driver Version 22.20.29.10 for Windows® 10 and Windows® 11 (Windows Driver Store Version 31.0.12029.10015).

In my case I sold the card for good cash (I can't have unstable PC on which I work, irrelevant of cost) and the person that bought it has 0 issues. Hence, definitely not the GPU! But I also replaced it with 3080Ti and then 4090 and... no issues with either of these at all since that. Ergo, my machine is fine too! Must've been some incompatibility between that AMD GPU and something else, and the only thing that I've changed before it started was monitor. Hence, back to the monitor. Looking at AMD drivers notes (latest ones I've seen) they mention in known issues crashes of 6k series GPUs with high refresh rate and higher res monitors (DP bandwidth related perhaps?) - I suspect this is what I've encountered, UW 1440p, with 175Hz would likely fit in that description. Fingers crossed they'll fix it before new GPUs come in Dec.
Seen issues with the AMD cards being sensitive to display port cables. My advice to get a good quality cable. Club 3d for example.

Seen issues with the AMD cards being sensitive to display port cables. My advice to get a good quality cable. Club 3d for example.
I have 4 different DP cables (latest one attached to Dell QD OLED, but also one from LG UW monitor, Samsung one other branded) - none of them made a difference here.

Another month, another attempt by Microsoft to automatically update AMD drivers to an older version than already installed.

Is there an easy way to disable Windows from updating any device drivers, forever?

Another month, another attempt by Microsoft to automatically update AMD drivers to an older version than already installed.

Is there an easy way to disable Windows from updating any device drivers, forever?

With Windows Pro version you can but with the none Pro version you need to do some work arounds.
Simply stupid why this isn't a normal Windows update feature.

With Windows Pro version you can but with the none Pro version you need to do some work arounds.
Simply stupid why this isn't a normal Windows update feature.

I have Win10 Pro, so how would one go about to prevent MS from updating the drivers ? Just realized it wiped my AMD drivers too as the AMD Catalyst is gone from the right desktop menu. Trying to launch it from the Start menu I get this message.

fXo70kI.gif

And the link leads to this on the AMD website, but the link to MS from there seem to change it so one have to download all manufacturers' apps etc, so if you know a set just to prevent the GPU drivers from being updated through MS that would be awesome !

So seems a DDU might be in order and a fresh instal of the proper AMD drivers to be installed !

I have Win10 Pro, so how would one go about to prevent MS from updating the drivers ? Just realized it wiped my AMD drivers too as the AMD Catalyst is gone from the right desktop menu. Trying to launch it from the Start menu I get this message.

fXo70kI.gif

And the link leads to this on the AMD website, but the link to MS from there seem to change it so one have to download all manufacturers' apps etc, so if you know a set just to prevent the GPU drivers from being updated through MS that would be awesome !

So seems a DDU might be in order and a fresh instal of the proper AMD drivers to be installed !

Method 2: Disable under Group Policy

Follow this method if you are using Windows 10 Pro or above versions as Group Policy is not available in Windows 10 Home

1. Press Windows key + R key to open Run command box
  2. Type gpedit.msc in the box and click on OK
  3. Expand folders from left column: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
  4. On the right side, find Do not include drivers with Windows Updates
  5. Double click on it and select Enabled, and click on Apply and then OK

Method 2: Disable under Group Policy

Follow this method if you are using Windows 10 Pro or above versions as Group Policy is not available in Windows 10 Home

1. Press Windows key + R key to open Run command box
  2. Type gpedit.msc in the box and click on OK
  3. Expand folders from left column: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
  4. On the right side, find Do not include drivers with Windows Updates
  5. Double click on it and select Enabled, and click on Apply and then OK

Thank you for this ! So, this way it will just disable the GPU driver updates, or all 3rd party drivers ? just curious what it does exactly, as it just says 'to not include drivers with windows quality updates'.

Thanks again ! :D

Thank you for this ! So, this way it will just disable the GPU driver updates, or all 3rd party drivers ? just curious what it does exactly, as it just says 'to not include drivers with windows quality updates'.

Thanks again ! :D

It won't include any drivers at all for attached device etc you will only receive Windows updates.

If your on a Home version of Windows, go to Settings>Network and Internet and then set your connection as a metered connection. Then go to Settings>Updates and Security>Advanced Options and make sure Download Updates over a Meteree Connection is off.

This will disable all automatic Windows updates, not just driver installs buy if you get into the habit of checking manual on a week or whenever all is good

Decided to go with the latest 22.11.2 driver to see if the black screen\hang issue on my RX 6800 XT is fixed. It lasted for two days without a black screen and then, in a change of behaviour to previous drivers, decided to hang my system completely rather than 'fix itself' after a minute or two.

AMD have obviously decided to lower the number of crash reports they're receiving by ensuring that the failure is so severe that even the Bug Report Tool doesn't run after a hang.

All of AMD's previous drivers and this latest one have been rock solid for me. I'm trying to think back to the last time I had problems and I can't think of any. I think, the only issue I had was with MW5 Mercinaries when it was released and black bars in game with FPS drop. That was back in 2019 and I think was 19.12.2! I had more recently black screen issue and that was my PSU. AMD GPU drivers for the last 3 years for me have been great.

@SPBonzo you might want to start looking into other areas of your rig for problems. Especially if as you say, it has been fine for 2 years then you start to have issues.

Back
Top Bottom