• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

All of AMD's previous drivers and this latest one have been rock solid for me. I'm trying to think back to the last time I had problems and I can't think of any. I think, the only issue I had was with MW5 Mercinaries when it was released and black bars in game with FPS drop. That was back in 2019 and I think was 19.12.2! I had more recently black screen issue and that was my PSU. AMD GPU drivers for the last 3 years for me have been great.

@SPBonzo you might want to start looking into other areas of your rig for problems. Especially if as you say, it has been fine for 2 years then you start to have issues.
The simple fix for the black screen issue is to uninstall the 'later' AMD drivers and revert to the Windows provided AMD 30.0.13023.4001 version dated 16/12/2021. I've no idea what Adrenalin version this is linked to if this is even the case.

One strange thing I've noticed with 22.11.2 is my monitors refresh rate not sticking to 144Hz when using Edge browser or Windows Explorer. It seems to hover around 79-91Hz.

Edit: That's the monitors OSD displaying the refresh rate, to clarify.

EDIT V2.0: It's now behaving and running at 144Hz. Never mind then!

Last edited:
Anything new with the driver 22.11.2 from 8/12/22? I have 22.11.2 but was from 1/12/22

Last edited:
Black screens are getting more frequent. Was playing TW Warhammer 3 and got one after 15m, yet I was able to play WOW for many hours earlier and no issue. Seems to happen on desktop more, sometimes it hard locks and I have to switch PC off by powerbutton but other times it comes back to life and then there is a window saying the drivers timed out. Probably have another few cases before I move the card on tbh, I skipped AMD for like ten years because of bad experiences, take a chance and get this nonsense.
Rolled backed to 22.11.1 as well.

Last edited:
Black screens are getting more frequent. Was playing TW Warhammer 3 and got one after 15m, yet I was able to play WOW for many hours earlier and no issue. Seems to happen on desktop more, sometimes it hard locks and I have to switch PC off by powerbutton but other times it comes back to life and then there is a window saying the drivers timed out. Probably have another few cases before I move the card on tbh, I skipped AMD for like ten years because of bad experiences, take a chance and get this nonsense.
Rolled backed to 22.11.1 as well.
Sure it's not your psu? Sorry if that's already been asked. Is your rig stock or overclocked?

Sure it's not your psu? Sorry if that's already been asked. Is your rig stock or overclocked?

It's a brand new build, got an EVGA something 1000W, 7700X (not OC'd) and 32GB DDR5 (stock), I don't get why it can be fine for ages then it starts doing that. Very odd and without the luxury of having spare parts lying around I cannot really isolate anything.

Running 1440pUW at 175hz, I will drop to 144 actually and monitor that, not like I get that high anyway in most games.

Last edited:
It's a brand new build, got an EVGA something 1000W, 7700X (not OC'd) and 32GB DDR5 (stock), I don't get why it can be fine for ages then it starts doing that. Very odd and without the luxury of having spare parts lying around I cannot really isolate anything.

Running 1440pUW at 175hz, I will drop to 144 actually and monitor that, not like I get that high anyway in most games.
Interesting thanks. Yeah try the lower refresh rate. We can't also rule out a faulty part. It is possible. Are all the psu connections solid and properly seated in the mobo. Have you tried stress test on cpu and ram just in case? Just trying to think of things you can also try.

Interesting thanks. Yeah try the lower refresh rate. We can't also rule out a faulty part. It is possible. Are all the psu connections solid and properly seated in the mobo. Have you tried stress test on cpu and ram just in case? Just trying to think of things you can also try.

No I haven't. Do you have a recommended program for that? Connections feels fine, only thing I could try is using 3x PCI cables, currently using 2 as each cable had two headers, so one is 1-1, the other is 1-2.

No I haven't. Do you have a recommended program for that? Connections feels fine, only thing I could try is using 3x PCI cables, currently using 2 as each cable had two headers, so one is 1-1, the other is 1-2.
I'm not sure what the kids use nowadays. :) Maybes OCCT or Prime95 (if that is still a thing)?

AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.12.1 for AMD Radeon™ RX 7900 Series Graphics Release Notes​

Article Number

RN-RAD-WIN-22-12-1-RX7900

Highlights​

• Support for Radeon™ RX 7900 Series Graphics.

Known Issues​

• Corruption may be encountered when using Virtual Super Resolution with multi-display configurations [Resolution targeted for 22.12.2].
  • A system crash may be observed when changing display modes with 4 display configurations [Resolution targeted for 22.12.2].
  • High idle power has situationally been observed when using select high resolution and high refresh rate displays.
  • Intermittent app crashes or driver timeout may occur when using Radeon Super Resolution with some extended display configurations.
  • Video stuttering or performance drop may be observed during gameplay plus video playback with some extended display configurations.
  • Stuttering may be observed in UNCHARTED™ 4: A Thief’s End during the opening game sequence.
  • While loading Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales™ an app crash or driver timeout may occur after enabling ray tracing settings [Resolution targeted for 22.12.2].

Package Contents​

AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.12.1 for AMD Radeon™ RX 7900 Series Graphics Driver Version 22.40.00.59 for Windows® 10 and Windows® 11 (Windows Driver Store Version 31.0.14000.59010).

After updating to the 22.11.2 driver I suffered from fewer black screens. It was better but not fixed.

I decided to purchase a new Displayport cable to replace the existing high quality Displayport cable I was using and.......

......not a single black screen since!

I am thinking it may be a faulty GPU you know, have a look at these I recorded on my phone. Main symptoms are, mouse going really slow in full screen apps (not all), flickering black screen and eventual crashes. Random crashes during games, pc resetting itself then getting a message saying AMD detected driver crash/black screen. Everything on my pc is stock/default.
When booting into most games, it is really shakey like 1-6 fps for a few seconds and then it either is ok and I can play for ages or it crashes as I was lucky enough to capture in the WOW video.

Last edited:
I am thinking it may be a faulty GPU you know, have a look at these I recorded on my phone. Main symptoms are, mouse going really slow in full screen apps (not all), flickering black screen and eventual crashes. Random crashes during games, pc resetting itself then getting a message saying AMD detected driver crash/black screen. Everything on my pc is stock/default.
When booting into most games, it is really shakey like 1-6 fps for a few seconds and then it either is ok and I can play for ages or it crashes as I was lucky enough to capture in the WOW video.
what are the temps like prior to the crash and what psu do you have? are you using extensions, single cable for both connectors or 2 cables. those are the usual suspects for crashing i think. if youve tried all of those things and everything is correct and as it should be then it does look like a faulty card.

Last edited:
what are the temps like prior to the crash and what psu do you have? are you using extensions, single cable for both connectors or 2 cables. those are the usual suspects for crashing i think. if youve tried all of those things and everything is correct and as it should be then it does look like a faulty card.

Well on the startup ones like 40° on the wow video. HDR one It's not using any GPU it's like on zero fan as it's just an app to calibrate your monitor

With the default fan profile, it doesn't go above 90 on the junction temp. Using an EVGA 1000W P6, using three cables as initially was using two.no extensions.

Also, even in games with high frame rates it seems to stutter for no reason

Last edited:
No issues for me other than than the high idle power draw bug. Seeing about 70W from the GPU at idle, it'll get fixed in a driver update.

No doubt on that... This bug seems to crop up almost on every driver release I can remember on the 6000 series.

Think I've missed the delivery window so will wait now till after Christmas and hopefully DPD will be back on track as they've been delayed on all my deliveries this month.

Back
Top Bottom