• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

What fTPM problem affects boot times? What CPU/chipset, my am4 system with AMD's fTPM boots in about 10 seconds on Windows 11.

On my B550 Aorus Pro AC with the options enabled it slowed the time to get through the BIOS by 5-10 seconds. That was on an older version however, I've since updated to the latest when I installed my X3D so it may no longer be the case.

I'm not sure if this is a driver issue (but it seems like it might be) and was wondering if anyone else has come across this and fixed it?
I turned on my old PC with a Vega 64 in that is now connected to my 2 4K screens. Everything seemed OK. As you might expect once it had booted almost every app and Windows decided they needed to update, so I ran through doing the updates. Windows did that nasty thing it has a habit of doing of updating my GPU drivers, to god only knows what version. At this point (or maybe after the restart) my 2nd monitor stopped getting any input and went into stand-by mode. Realising that Windows had installed drivers I downloaded the latest from AMD's website and installed them. I've rebooted the PC a number of times but it still won't display on the 2nd screen. If I unplug the 1st screen it displays on the 2nd screen, so the cable is working. But if I connect them both up it only displays on 1 screen.

Any ideas?

I'm not sure if this is a driver issue (but it seems like it might be) and was wondering if anyone else has come across this and fixed it?
I turned on my old PC with a Vega 64 in that is now connected to my 2 4K screens. Everything seemed OK. As you might expect once it had booted almost every app and Windows decided they needed to update, so I ran through doing the updates. Windows did that nasty thing it has a habit of doing of updating my GPU drivers, to god only knows what version. At this point (or maybe after the restart) my 2nd monitor stopped getting any input and went into stand-by mode. Realising that Windows had installed drivers I downloaded the latest from AMD's website and installed them. I've rebooted the PC a number of times but it still won't display on the 2nd screen. If I unplug the 1st screen it displays on the 2nd screen, so the cable is working. But if I connect them both up it only displays on 1 screen.

Any ideas?
Most likely a silly question but did you reenable the second monitor in windows's Display settings?

I'm having a nightmare with adrenalin timing out.
system
5950x stock clocked atm
128GB corsair vengeance rgb pro dd4 3200mhz
Asus rog crosshair viii hero wifi
2x wd blue m.2 2TB
1x wd black m.2 1tb ssd
1x 6TB wd mechanical hard drive
1000w corsair PSU
2x Samsung odyssey 32in screens
windows 11 pro
CPU has a 3x120 EKG rad and pump.
total of 6x120 2x140 corsair maglift fans

things I have tried
fresh install of windows upgrading to windows 11.
update all drivers
bios flash to the latest version
got rid of the overclocks on my CPU and mem
running only one screen
dropping the screen from 240hz to 120hz
limiting the GPU by 15%
boosting all fans to max just in case it was overheating
running game with adrenalin on 2nd window to check what was happing
running only the game
clearing the shader cash
setting the power setting to performance
No matter what I do it will sometimes crash after a few hours sometimes after a few mins I'm really at a loss
any idea temps at stock the junction point hitting around 80/85 GPU 60/70
game running assassins creed vallhalla
Thanks, Tenchi

Last edited:
system
5950x stock clocked atm
2x wd blue m.2 2TB
1x wd black m.2 1tb ssd
1000w corsair PSU
windows 11 pro

things I have tried
update all drivers
running only one screen
limiting the GPU by 15%
running only the game
clearing the shader cash
No matter what I do it will sometimes crash after a few hours sometimes after a few mins I'm really at a loss
Thanks, Tenchi
What GPU you running? I don't think you mention it.

I'm just wondering on power draw here. Sounds like you're running a 5950X (which was overclocked), with 128GB memory (is that 4x32GB dimms or 2x64GB?). Not sure how well AMD boards handle 128GB with an overclock, I thought I heard it can be troublesome OC'ing with that much memory? You have x3 M.2 Drives is that right? Or x2 M.2 and x1 SATA SSD? And then x1 3.5" mechanical HDD. Coupled with x2 Samsung screens (dual displays with high refresh rates can be a bit iffy). And then x3 fans on the RAD, with another x6 120mm and x2 140mm? Or are the x3 RAD fans included in the x6 120mm overall?

I just think trying to run an OC on a 5950X with 128GB of memory may be the issue here (I know you've said you've removed it).

Have you tried running / testing with just 64GB RAM?
Have you stress tested your CPU / Memory?
Has this just started, or do you have a known good earlier driver where things were fine?
Is it just Assassins Creed that is crashing?

Temps seem fine.

Last edited:
What GPU you running? I don't think you mention it.

I'm just wondering on power draw here. Sounds like you're running a 5950X (which was overclocked), with 128GB memory (is that 4x32GB dimms or 2x64GB?). Not sure how well AMD boards handle 128GB with an overclock, I thought I heard it can be troublesome OC'ing with that much memory? You have x3 M.2 Drives is that right? Or x2 M.2 and x1 SATA SSD? And then x1 3.5" mechanical HDD. Coupled with x2 Samsung screens (dual displays with high refresh rates can be a bit iffy). And then x3 fans on the RAD, with another x6 120mm and x2 140mm? Or are the x3 RAD fans included in the x6 120mm overall?

I just think trying to run an OC on a 5950X with 128GB of memory may be the issue here (I know you've said you've removed it).

Have you tried running / testing with just 64GB RAM?
Have you stress tested your CPU / Memory?
Has this just started, or do you have a known good earlier driver where things were fine?
Is it just Assassins Creed that is crashing?

Temps seem fine.
I'm running a sapphire rx7900xtx. reference
its ran fine for years with my old gtx1070 overclocked.
it was a pre-over-clocked bundle CPU/MB/Ram from overclockers
I Have stress tested the CPU and the mem a few years ago.
It's been happing since I got the card. it runs fine for a benchmark but has crashed out in games.
was crashing out in world of warships/ over watch/ and assassins creed.
(assassins creed was just the one game iv installed and played since a system format and reinstall of all my drivers).
I have not tried taking out the extra ram as I would not know what to do with it outside my rig as I have no spare system, and like I said it was a pre-overclocked bundle from overclocks about 2 years ago. even though now its running stock clocks.
I'm going try clearing the shader cash before i play every time to see how long it works.
so i don't think there are any older drivers with it been a card that's just come out a few weeks ago

So you've gone from a gpu using about 150w to a gpu that now needs over 350w with peaks over 400w. With sapphire recommending at least an 800w psu. Add to the mix you're running that with a 5950x which under multithreaded load can pull 220ish Watts, the extra strain of 128GB, a lot of fans and a pump and multiple drives to power. I dunno. It is either psu related, or a faulty card.

i was thinking the same about psu.

could try cpu heavy but gpu lite game to test. Or a game on lowest settings and low res.

or undervolt the card

should also ask is the gpu got separate cables for each pcie connector in the card.

try amd chill to lower the power use too and set fps to low like 30, just to see if its a power issue

Last edited:
GPU was picked up today. Off to OCUK. Decided to sell it regardless what they say, CBA with weird issues and if I get them on my new card then I'll know something else may have been afoot

system
5950x stock clocked atm
2x wd blue m.2 2TB
1x wd black m.2 1tb ssd
1000w corsair PSU
windows 11 pro

things I have tried
update all drivers
running only one screen
limiting the GPU by 15%
running only the game
clearing the shader cash
Thanks, Tenchi

I would say this could well be just vallhalla, do you crash with other games

i was thinking the same about psu.

could try cpu heavy but gpu lite game to test. Or a game on lowest settings and low res.

or undervolt the card

should also ask is the gpu got separate cables for each pcie connector in the card.

try amd chill to lower the power use too and set fps to low like 30, just to see if its a power issue
I'll have a go when I go home again. Yes I'm running 2 cabes from the psu to the gpu. Might have a look at a new psu. And try some other games again when I get home also. Just installed a load befor I left

I recommend the MSI AGF line of PSU's, they are RTX 3000 series certified which means they can deal with very high transient spikes.

My 850w model has ran a heavily OC'd 3070 and now an OC'd 6900 XT with zero issues.

Last edited:
If I use the AMD software to tune my GPU I get an AMD driver failure upon startup about 50% of the time, and my settings are all reset. I also had this problem with my 6900 XT. Has anyone else had this problem? I don't know what could be causing it.

If I use the AMD software to tune my GPU I get an AMD driver failure upon startup about 50% of the time, and my settings are all reset. I also had this problem with my 6900 XT. Has anyone else had this problem? I don't know what could be causing it.
Happens to me as well.My 6900xt and now with my Aorus 7900 xtx.
I haven’t figured it out.

Same issue here with my 6900XT. And not only my current 6900XT, but the 6900XT I had before this that I had to RMA. My brother is having the same problem with his 6800XT.

Back
Top Bottom