• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Dumb questions (not that I can probably be any help); what OS and what driver version? Also are you running AMD or Intel CPU/chipsets?

Have tried it on various drivers, on different computers(both Intel and AMD CPUs) and Windows 10 and 11.

So, after experiencing black screen crashes for many weeks now with numerous driver changes I finally decided to remove my second (HDMI connected) monitor and can report that I've not experienced a single black screen since. Note that the dual monitor setup had worked without a hitch for over 18 months before the first black screen crash occurred. My main monitor uses a Displayport connection.

I'm still thinking it's driver related but could there be other causes?

So, after experiencing black screen crashes for many weeks now with numerous driver changes I finally decided to remove my second (HDMI connected) monitor and can report that I've not experienced a single black screen since. Note that the dual monitor setup had worked without a hitch for over 18 months before the first black screen crash occurred. My main monitor uses a Displayport connection.

I'm still thinking it's driver related but could there be other causes?

HDMI cable failing maybe? AMD cards are very sensitive to the cables used.

How is the drivers with the 7900 series of cards, had no issues with the 6800 XT and about to splash a grand on a 7900 XT!

That's my driver performance record while using the 6900 XT along the past year. Thought I'd leave it here, might be useful. All scores are just from the graphics component.
The specs, if relevant:
5900x stock
b550 board
2x8gb 3800 cl15flat

Procedure was always the same, ddu old driver, remove chipset driver, install new gpu driver, reinstall chipset driver, and finally run the benchmarks without tweaking adrenaline.
Gonna do the same with the 7900 xtx, I believe the gains along the driver development will be interesting.

ectWVMx.png

Last edited:
If you on the December drivers, why not change to an earlier driver version if you concerned ??
December drivers are only for the 7900 series cards arent they? 22.11.2 are they latest I can see on AMD's site for the rest of the cards.
My Vega56 hasn't blown up since November so I'm going to guess theres a lot of coincidences and scaremongering behind this

Have the same issue with the reseting on mine, 6900xt toxic, I'll start it up only to be met with wattman reset, very annoying.
That happens to me atleast half of my start ups, but I've set more overclocks for games rather than just global and they take effect once a game is launched.

Good news for Europe

the latest drivers lower power consumptions in some situations by up to 40% on the 7900xtx

The most noteable is video playback which has been lowered from 80w to 50w. It's still the highest power draw of any gpu on the market for video playback and idle but it Is much improved and is now closer to rx6000 series power draw

Last edited:
Good news for Europe

the latest drivers lower power consumptions in some situations by up to 40% on the 7900xtx

The most noteable is video playback which has been lowered from 80w to 50w. It's still the highest power draw of any gpu on the market for video playback and idle but it Is much improved and is now closer to rx6000 series power draw

That link you posted shows the XTX with lower idle usage than the 4090,4070TI, 3090Ti and matches a 4080. Their idle power draw matches the launch drivers. Unless I'm missing something.
For dual monitors, the xtx is only beaten by the 3060Ti, 3070, XT and matches the 3080. Interesting really as AMD were terrible in dual monitor power draw.
Youtube however is still mad, but less mad. Basic PC usage looks to be too high too, beating everything.

Depends on your screens. They used dual 60hz screens so even on old drivers their power usage is low. As I understand it, idle dual monitor power usage is only high if at least one of the two monitors is over 100hz

What I found surprising because no one else tests it is HDR video playback. All GPUs have quite a lot of power draw while playing HDR YouTube. Nvidia seems to have achieved a reduction as the hdr playback on rtx4000 is half that of rtx3000 but it's still high

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom