• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Why are people hung up on the fact we've not had a driver release for anything other than RDNA3? Looking at the 22.11.2 release notes these are the known outstanding issues. For me personally absoultely none of those impact me. I mean two of the issues are for a web browser and one is for a laptop. We have literally one specific game issue noted.

Known Issues​

• Intermittent system stuttering or UI flickering may occur when two videos are simultaneously playing using chromium-based browsers.
  • During video playback and gameplay, frame drop may occur in chromium-based browsers with variable refresh rate enabled extended displays.
  • Brief display corruption may occur when switching between video and game windows on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6700 XT.
  • Texture flickering or artifacts may occur during Warhammer 40,000: Darktide™ gameplay.
  • Some laptops using hybrid graphics and AMD Ryzen™ 5000 series Processors with Radeon™ Graphics may have no sound output using certain Realtek Audio versions.

Now lets compare that miniscule list above, to the RDNA3 issues.

Known Issues​

• Corruption may be encountered when using Virtual Super Resolution with multi-display configurations [Resolution targeted for 22.12.2].
  • A system crash may be observed when changing display modes with 4 display configurations [Resolution targeted for 22.12.2].
  • While loading Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales™ an app crash or driver timeout may occur after enabling ray tracing settings [Resolution targeted for 22.12.2].
  • High idle power has situationally been observed when using select high resolution and high refresh rate displays.
  • Intermittent app crashes or driver timeout may occur when using Radeon Super Resolution with some extended display configurations.
  • Video stuttering or performance drop may be observed during gameplay plus video playback with some extended display configurations.
  • Stuttering may be observed in UNCHARTED™ 4: A Thief’s End during the opening game sequence.
  • While playing Valheim™ an app crash or driver timeout may occur using Vulkan® API. Any users who may be experiencing these issues should select DirectX® API as a temporary workaround.
  • Some virtual reality games or apps may experience lower than expected performance.

Can you imagine if you look at that list and AMD decided to prioritise the 6000 series and not 7000 series. People would certainly be complaining about that! I've not had any issues to complain about on my 6700XT or now 6900XT so why do I all of a sudden need a new driver? Focus on getting RDNA3 up to scratch. :)

I get that but normally we'd get a universal driver with fixes for new cards and any other issues. Are the 7900 cards always going to have separate drivers?

No idea. :( It could be they have simply forked off to nail the main issues and then they might merge again into one release for all. It could be that we'll see (for an example) a re-merged package inclusive of all at the next big point release, perhaps a 22.13.1. Just wait and see. I'm guessing again here, but they most likely could have released the last two updates for all series cards but it would have been a fruitless task and literally just been a driver number change with no fixes for any other cards. So it would be pointless.

Last edited:
No idea. :( It could be they have simply forked off to nail the main issues and then they might merge again into one release for all. It could be that we'll see (for an example) a re-merged package inclusive of all at the next big point release, perhaps a 22.13.1. Just wait and see. I'm guessing again here, but they most likely could have released the last two updates for all series cards but it would have been a fruitless task and literally just been a driver number change with no fixes for any other cards. So it would be pointless.
They did the same thing during the launch of the 6800xt & 6900xt. They branched the drivers off to work on specific fixes for the latest cards before later releasing a unified driver package.

Why are people hung up on the fact we've not had a driver release for anything other than RDNA3? Looking at the 22.11.2 release notes these are the known outstanding issues. For me personally absoultely none of those impact me. I mean two of the issues are for a web browser and one is for a laptop. We have literally one specific game issue noted.

Known Issues​

• Intermittent system stuttering or UI flickering may occur when two videos are simultaneously playing using chromium-based browsers.
  • During video playback and gameplay, frame drop may occur in chromium-based browsers with variable refresh rate enabled extended displays.
  • Brief display corruption may occur when switching between video and game windows on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6700 XT.
  • Texture flickering or artifacts may occur during Warhammer 40,000: Darktide™ gameplay.
  • Some laptops using hybrid graphics and AMD Ryzen™ 5000 series Processors with Radeon™ Graphics may have no sound output using certain Realtek Audio versions.

Known Issues​

• Corruption may be encountered when using Virtual Super Resolution with multi-display configurations [Resolution targeted for 22.12.2].
  • A system crash may be observed when changing display modes with 4 display configurations [Resolution targeted for 22.12.2].
  • While loading Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales™ an app crash or driver timeout may occur after enabling ray tracing settings [Resolution targeted for 22.12.2].
  • High idle power has situationally been observed when using select high resolution and high refresh rate displays.
  • Intermittent app crashes or driver timeout may occur when using Radeon Super Resolution with some extended display configurations.
  • Video stuttering or performance drop may be observed during gameplay plus video playback with some extended display configurations.
  • Stuttering may be observed in UNCHARTED™ 4: A Thief’s End during the opening game sequence.
  • While playing Valheim™ an app crash or driver timeout may occur using Vulkan® API. Any users who may be experiencing these issues should select DirectX® API as a temporary workaround.
  • Some virtual reality games or apps may experience lower than expected performance.

Can you imagine if you look at that list and AMD decided to prioritise the 6000 series and not 7000 series. People would certainly be complaining about that! I've not had any issues to complain about on my 6700XT or now 6900XT so why do I all of a sudden need a new driver? Focus on getting RDNA3 up to scratch. :)

Those top 2 for my 6800 are affecting me and I've been waiting ages for it to be fixed

Known Issues​

Known Issues​

Maybe you dont have issue but I'm sure other will do. A game ready driver for new releases is normally a thing but not for the 6000 and below series. If AMD want people to buy the 6000 series still they need to sort out the issues people may be or are experiencing.

Gamers Nexus covers the ChrisFix cards issue and says its not the drivers but what Steve has said that I've not heard elsewhere that apparently AMD have offered to fix or replace some of the cards which is very good of them to do.

Known Issues​

Known Issues​

So discarding the hyperbole drenched wording, 5 issues vs 9 issues? *Clutches pearls and faints*

Maybe you dont have issue but I'm sure other will do. A game ready driver for new releases is normally a thing but not for the 6000 and below series. If AMD want people to buy the 6000 series still they need to sort out the issues people may be or are experiencing.
As I say, I'm sure the more people are having issues with 7000 than 6000 cards. My 6700XT and 6900XT are working fine so I really am struggling to see why people are throwing so much shade at not having drivers shoved down their throats.

As a 6000 series owner I really don't get the problem regarding driver updates.. The last driver has been functioning fine for me. If it does that why would I need a new one?

I'd appreciate some help with an issue I have with Halo Infinite. I'm replaying the game for the first time since release (I have Xbox GamePass for PC for a few months) as I have a new TV to enjoy it on. I have an issue where I get random flashes of light on terrain that occur pretty frequently without me being able to pinpoint any particular elements in the game world that are causing them. What's frustrating is that this occurred the first time I played the game shortly after release, obviously with a much older driver version than I'm using now (22.11.2).

I've turned off my undervolt/OC, reinstalled Windows since the first play through, turned off overlays etc with no success. I tried a suggestion from Reddit which was to turn off A-sync compute and this worked, however I lose about 10% performance in doing so (using my monitor ATM, 103fps at 1440p drops to 93fps with the option off). Any ideas? It's not catastrophic, but when playing at 4K on the TV every little helps to try and maintain a solid 60.

Last edited:
I'd appreciate some help with an issue I have with Halo Infinite. I'm replaying the game for the first time since release I have Xbox GamePass for PC for a few months, and a new TV to enjoy it on. I have an issue where I get random flashes of light on terrain that occur pretty frequently without me being able to pinpoint any particular elements in the game world that are causing them. What's frustrating is that this occurred the first time I played the game shortly after release, obviously with a much older driver version than I'm using now (22.11.2).

I've turned off my undervolt/OC, reinstalled Windows since the first play through, turned off overlays etc with no success. I tried a suggestion from Reddit which was to turn off A-sync compute and this worked, however I lose about 10% performance in doing so (using my monitor ATM, 103fps at 1440p drops to 93fps with the option off). Any ideas? It's not catastrophic, but when playing at 4K on the TV every little helps to try and maintain a solid 60.
I've seen this on my end, I didn't realise it was specific to async compute. Will investigate.

I've seen this on my end, I didn't realise it was specific to async compute. Will investigate.

Thank you.

Update: this may prove frustrating to investigate because I just played for an hour or so with A-sync on and didn't experience it, so I don't know whether it's related to the day/night cycle or specific areas of the game. It was daytime in the bottom right area of the map during this session.

Last edited:
Thank you.

Update: this may prove frustrating to investigate because I just played for an hour or so with A-sync on and didn't experience it, so I don't know whether it's related to the day/night cycle or specific areas of the game. It was daytime in the bottom right area of the map during this session.
No problem. I have a rough idea in my mind of where I recall seeing this issue fairly prominently.

Back
Top Bottom