• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
That's just the way AMD work now. I feel like I'm in the same boat as you. Next card I plump for I'm just going to stick to the one.

Why am I using crossfire when I'm completing most games before I can even properly use it? Yes I know we can mostly use our own custom profiles mostly (thank god).

Surely someone at AMD must see this is madness to make their users wait for the next beta. How any one can stick to non beta is beyond me.

How long has it been since the last driver? Two months?

Agreed. As much as when it works, it's great, it's just so much pain compared to a single card.

Soldato
Not brought any newly released games lately but have noticed there has not been a driver release despite games releasing all this month and over Christmas?

How have new games been playing for everyone? I'm a little worried as I switch from nvidia to try AMD and whilst I've encountered no major problems I have yet to play a game on release with my 290. With GTA V round the corner I was hoping BETA drivers would come along quite often to keep games running nice.

Soldato
Just did a fresh install of the w10 preview. Same problem with DPC latency, so I think I can rule out software issues. It's either driver or hardware at this point. If the former, I'm buggered because it doesn't seem to be a big enough issue since the April drivers fixed it for most people. Driver teams have bigger fish to fry it seems. If the latter, I'm equally buggered.

Caporegime
OP
Just did a fresh install of the w10 preview. Same problem with DPC latency, so I think I can rule out software issues. It's either driver or hardware at this point. If the former, I'm buggered because it doesn't seem to be a big enough issue since the April drivers fixed it for most people. Driver teams have bigger fish to fry it seems. If the latter, I'm equally buggered.

We're still trying to reproduce it Dev, but until we can we cannot fix it.

Soldato
We're still trying to reproduce it Dev, but until we can we cannot fix it.

Glad to hear it's still being worked on. If there's any info I can provide to help reproduce it, please let me know.

Other people having the same issue, if it helps find something in common:
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=475&threadid=177635
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=475&threadid=175145
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1916025/audio-stutter-crackling-vsync-crossfire.html

From what I can tell, it isn't specific to one brand of card or motherboard, so it is very odd indeed and I can imagine the trouble in finding the issue when there doesn't seem to be a clear unifying cause.

All I know is the problem disappears entirely when I disable my 2nd monitor. disabling vsync helps, but DPC latency is still high and introduces stutter, so disabling any non-eyefinity displays is the best way to go.

Caporegime
OP
Glad to hear it's still being worked on. If there's any info I can provide to help reproduce it, please let me know.

Other people having the same issue, if it helps find something in common:
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=475&threadid=177635
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=475&threadid=175145
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1916025/audio-stutter-crackling-vsync-crossfire.html

From what I can tell, it isn't specific to one brand of card or motherboard, so it is very odd indeed and I can imagine the trouble in finding the issue when there doesn't seem to be a clear unifying cause.

All I know is the problem disappears entirely when I disable my 2nd monitor. disabling vsync helps, but DPC latency is still high and introduces stutter, so disabling any non-eyefinity displays is the best way to go.

Thanks Dev, very useful and I'll pass those links on.

I've already taken a few specific reports (including yours) but every time we've tried to repro it on similar systems everything has worked normally. We'll keep trying. If anyone else is suffering from this, please feel free to drop me a trust.

Soldato
Will try measuring.

Derv what do you use to measure?

Curious to see if having DisplayPort and hdmi connected produces it. Or is it just eyefinity?

When I last used 290's and had issues it was with eyefinity

Soldato
Nah I tried using all permutations of DP, DVI, and HDMI in dual monitor configs with 3 different monitors so I'm fairly sure connector type isn't the issue.

I'm certainly flummoxed. I wish I had another xfire board to try the cards out with. I think if it isn't a driver issue then it has to be a somewhat uncommon card fault. But why would the problem disappear when I disable my other screen if that were the case?

I use latencymon to measure DPC latency, and what I don't quite get is why is dgxkrnl.sys having such high latency in mantle titles like DA:I

Last edited:
Caporegime
what do you use to measure?

mvjhat.jpg

:D

Soldato
Copy and pasting this because it didn't get answered and don't want it to get buried. AMDmatt does AMD release drivers for new releases?

Not brought any newly released games lately but have noticed there has not been a driver release despite games releasing all this month and over Christmas?

How have new games been playing for everyone? I'm a little worried as I switch from nvidia to try AMD and whilst I've encountered no major problems I have yet to play a game on release with my 290. With GTA V round the corner I was hoping BETA drivers would come along quite often to keep games running nice.

Soldato
Man of Honour
My 290 is really really driving me mad now.

Fan is running ridiculously fast for no reason, everything is telling me its at 20% fan speed which is clearly isnt. Adjusting the fan speed or custom fan curve does nothing, fan still does its own thing :mad::mad:

Have you tried another BIOS?

Back
Top Bottom