• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Ergh, know I said I would be re-installing, but in reality I don't have the time for that for a while...

Early yesterday, BF4 running wonderfully, then in evening started getting crashes, now pretty much within seconds always getting this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8tbkbkvxswhhr3o/Screenshot 2015-02-01 11.16.35.png?dl=0

How many gpu's is that using eye, two or three?

Copy and pasting this because it didn't get answered and don't want it to get buried. AMDmatt does AMD release drivers for new releases?

Not brought any newly released games lately but have noticed there has not been a driver release despite games releasing all this month and over Christmas?

How have new games been playing for everyone? I'm a little worried as I switch from nvidia to try AMD and whilst I've encountered no major problems I have yet to play a game on release with my 290. With GTA V round the corner I was hoping BETA drivers would come along quite often to keep games running nice.

Yes we do, 14.12 has plenty of optimisations in it for new titles and old. Sometimes with Crossfire profiles though these can come at a later date, as sometimes we need dev co-operation.

We're very close with Rockstar so you have nothing to worry about. :)

Last edited:
Just using two currently until I get adapters for blocks.

Not changed anything or installed anything since it was running nicely.

Have restarted couple times.

Oh well, my 'fun time' for the next few hours gone now as need to do some work... Sigh.

Just using two currently until I get adapters for blocks.

Not changed anything or installed anything since it was running nicely.

Have restarted couple times.

Oh well, my 'fun time' for the next few hours gone now as need to do some work... Sigh.

Can you try with three, just to see if it still occurs?

Is anything overclocked on your computer?

Yer, not sure what is what and if this is more cpu demanding like RTS style games but it purrs along at well over 140 frames in SLI and a 3930K @ 4.4 for me with maxed settings @ 1440P.

Pretty much the same on an FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz.

It seems to be a really well optimised game. There'd be no real need for multiple GPUs until going multi-screen.

mvjhat.jpg

:D

:D :D :D

Can you try with three, just to see if it still occurs?

Is anything overclocked on your computer?

Cant try with three due to PCS+ cooler size. And don't have time to try anything for the next while, as will be working.

And no, no overclocks - not on gpu's, memory or cpu. Everything stock.

Cant try with three due to PCS+ cooler size. And don't have time to try anything for the next while, as will be working.

And no, no overclocks - not on gpu's, memory or cpu. Everything stock.

I understand.

Do you have the Origin overlay running? If so please try and disable that as it causes issues.

Do you have the Raptr Gaming Evolved client installed? If so please try removing it, as that also uses an overlay.

It looks as if something might be interfering.

Work was stressing me so think, let me just try and unwind with some bf4. It seems to be no longer crashing, but is a juddery mess...

It's nothing like the stutter I had with 970 sli.

It's difficult to describe. Almost like rubber banding, but not quite. It's constant and not like jumping around in game.

And my CPU usage is totally ###### again. It's like a yo yo. Just up down, up down. Probably explains the judder.

Frame rate read as pretty constant though.

Oh well, at least I had half a day of nice smooth battlefield yesterday without any issues.

And no overlays running of any kind, and no overclocks of any kind.

God knows what the hell is up at moment.

Work was stressing me so think, let me just try and unwind with some bf4. It seems to be no longer crashing, but is a juddery mess...

It's nothing like the stutter I had with 970 sli.

It's difficult to describe. Almost like rubber banding, but not quite. It's constant and not like jumping around in game.

And my CPU usage is totally ###### again. It's like a yo yo. Just up down, up down. Probably explains the judder.

Frame rate read as pretty constant though.

Oh well, at least I had half a day of nice smooth battlefield yesterday without any issues.

And no overlays running of any kind, and no overclocks of any kind.

God knows what the hell is up at moment.

Can you try pressing Alt+Enter to switch between full screen mode and windowed. See if that changes anything?

I did when playing. Did nothing.

I just don't get why was absolutely fine yesterday, and without changing anything is now rubbish...

Bloody computers...

Have tried disconnecting screen on hdmi, but that not improved anything either.

Oddly, was trying to run latencymon, it runs, but I can not maximise it at all.

It's just there and I can't see it, apart from its icon in task bar.

I did when playing. Did nothing.

I just don't get why was absolutely fine yesterday, and without changing anything is now rubbish...

Bloody computers...

Have tried disconnecting screen on hdmi, but that not improved anything either.

Oddly, was trying to run latencymon, it runs, but I can not maximise it at all.

It's just there and I can't see it, apart from its icon in task bar.

Tell me a bit more about your setup please eye.

How many screens, connection used, resolution, settings used etc.

Most of it in sig, apart from 40 inch philips.

Used DDu earlier, and reinstalled latest beta, and that seemed to help the cpu usage.

But was still getting that odd juddering.

Eventually, after many many things to try and fix (different mouse, unplugging all usb, etc) opened up afterburner, and set to +50% power limit.

That seemed to smooth it instantly.

Disabled it again, and seemed to reintroduce the judder, but either very marginally or it was placebo in that case.

Am just trying another round out now.

Hmmm, seems to be when I have mantle selected at startup.

If I start in dx11, it's ok.

Well, from limited testing this far.

Tested dragon age too, and also seemed a bit juddery. That was smooth yesterday with mantle.

@Matt I don't know if this helps for the sound crackling issues ... I upgraded to X99 + 5820K yesterday (from Z87 + 4770K) and have done a clean 8.1 install. That seems to have solved my crackling sounds, though I haven't been able to test a whole lot just yet (still have to reinstall the games). I do still seem to get the occasional crackle in Star Citizen, but that could be the game itself ... and it was really only every now and then. Didn't notice any in tests of Skyrim or DA:I. Should the crackling rear its ugly head again though, I'll let you know.

Unfortunately also means that I can't test the 4770K anymore. My house mate now has that board and CPU with his dual 7970 (also a clean 8.1 install) and he's not had any sound crackling issues either.

@Matt I don't know if this helps for the sound crackling issues ... I upgraded to X99 + 5820K yesterday (from Z87 + 4770K) and have done a clean 8.1 install. That seems to have solved my crackling sounds, though I haven't been able to test a whole lot just yet (still have to reinstall the games). I do still seem to get the occasional crackle in Star Citizen, but that could be the game itself ... and it was really only every now and then. Didn't notice any in tests of Skyrim or DA:I. Should the crackling rear its ugly head again though, I'll let you know.

Unfortunately also means that I can't test the 4770K anymore. My house mate now has that board and CPU with his dual 7970 (also a clean 8.1 install) and he's not had any sound crackling issues either.

Thanks Shari, I'll be sure to pass this on to our team and let them know. :)

I get a lot of issues with Mantle in BF4:

• Slow down to <10fps randomly
  • Graphical artifacts
  • Game crashes on startup

It's generally much better using Direct X. I'm using the latest drivers, any ideas?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom