• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Well I vowed never to go Nvidia again after the way they treated 970 owners, everything they have done since then has strengthened my resolve. Unfortunately Amd have had a few issues but the hysteria on here has been OTT. I am patiently waiting for their new cards and am quietly confident they will produce the goods. I can understand the CF issues annoying some but to be honest there have always been issues

So nvidia release an excellent card that has a potential issue for 0.01% of the market, a card you have not tried as they are dead to you...... but amd providing truly awful support to a large percentage of its customers and it's annoying niggles and hysteria?

Right.

I don't think were expecting day 1 drivers for every single game but they did it for GTA V and the witcher is probably the biggest game release this year so I would say that I did expect it for that.

What AMD should have done is take the current driver change the number and released it as the Witcher driver and none would have been the wiser because its already running better than the NV driver.

Hardly his fault, he can only post what he's been ok'd to post be it drivers or otherwise when he's representing amd.

I'm not blaming Matt, he has a thankless role. AMD should get their house in order, rather than publicity about dx12 or doing Q&A videos they should get the drivers out for cards you can actually buy and use right now.

I'm not blaming Matt, he has a thankless role. AMD should get their house in order, rather than publicity about dx12 or doing Q&A videos they should get the drivers out for cards you can actually buy and use right now.

Thats generally the way with hardware though, on the approach of the next new shiny thing the older stuff gets put on the backburner. Not exactly a good thing to do when it concerns drivers and crossfire. :eek:

Thats generally the way with hardware though, on the approach of the next new shiny thing the older stuff gets put on the backburner. Not exactly a good thing to do when it concerns drivers and crossfire. :eek:

Especially as people that will be buying the new hardware will be put off by the poor support that has gone before. I've not had an nvidia card for many years, not since the 5900 ultra iirc, but I'd be hard pressed to go AMD next time.

13th April makes you cringe? I agree 6 weeks is longer than I'd like between official releases, but I don't think it's cringe-worthy.

I certainly don't count beta "provided as is without warranty/use at your own risk" drivers as official.

8 months since they released a driver they are happy to stamp as non-beta. Bizarre. Im sitting on 2 x R290s, struggling with Witcher 3 at 4k and wondering when/if portrait-landscape-portrait eyefinity will ever be possible on the r9 290 series.

Last edited:
Especially as people that will be buying the new hardware will be put off by the poor support that has gone before.

They've been good i think up until lately, i dunno whats going on but the wheels seem to have fallen off the driver updates and the communication. Just seems like they're not saying much about anything with the approach of the new gpu's.

Doubt i'll be upgrading at any point soon anyway so meh.

There are many different departments responsible for many different jobs, the advertising and marketing department has nothing to do with fixing drivers, if you think all departments should come to a halt because you are waiting for drivers then you are mistaken.

Last edited:
I certainly don't count beta "provided as is without warranty/use at your own risk" drivers as official.

8 months since they released a driver they are happy to stamp as non-beta. Bizarre. Im sitting on 2 x R290s, struggling with Witcher 3 at 4k and wondering when/if portrait-landscape-portrait eyefinity will ever be possible on the r9 290 series.

It wont, the 290 does not have the hardware to do it officially.

Why is that ?

I'm not sure, I have a 7990. The most stable I managed to get it is 24-30 odd fps. That is at 1080p with a combination of low and medium settings. That is running off of one gpu. I try both gpu's with default settings in CCC and I get a slightly higher frame rate, but it becomes a stuttering mess. Things are improved, both performance and stutter, when switching to AFR mode for Crossfire (even when I go to my native 1440p resolution), but then the entire map vigorously flickers enemies etc become almost invisible etc.

When using 1 gpu, I can turn some of the settings I have on low to medium and the frame rate doesn't change, but it does have more micro stutter. It's took me many hours of tweaking various settings to get where I am. So I have it just about playable frame rate, by lowering my resolution, putting settings on a combination of medium and low (I set post process to medium). It's not acceptable, especially as I know with crossfire working properly, I can get 40-60 fps in my native resolution, with more settings put up.

I have lower tier single gpu cards stomping me in performance, whether I use 1 gpu, or 2. I can't explain reasons why that is the case. I know the 7990 I have is not among the best of 7990's (in honesty it's been more trouble than it's worth), but it should not perform as bad as it does, even with just 1 gpu.

I actually need drivers, if not at the very least to perform a stable 30fps in my native 2560x1440 resolution. Whether that can be achieved with 1 gpu or 2. Knowing that I am currently watering down the visuals for the game to barely run is actually making me enjoy it less. Especially when I know my hardware is more than powerful enough to run it a lot higher than I currently am.

I get solid 30fps with a 7950, medium settings 1440p. I dont understand how you are having such trouble with just 1 card. Im using Catalyst 14.12.

I don't understand it either, but switching to crossfire with AFR actually improves fps a massive amount (by more than i'd expect it to, but there is just constant and vigorous flickering. I know I can get a lot more performance, but it's really struggling right now. I can't explain why this is the case. I have had problems with the card in the past, but everything else runs very well nowadays. Witcher 3 however is a completely different story.

I am using the 15.4 beta driver, so maybe it's just causing problems and should try the 14.12, but I don't even know if it's worth it now, depends how long it will take for the new drivers to come out as I will be working all weekend, so won't have a great deal of time to play it anyway.

The next driver release form AMD (WHQL) is going to be this thing of wonder.... only because it's something they have been working on for like 4-6 months! :p

Remember those magic Omega drivers?

Definitely living up to their name now…. :o

Back
Top Bottom